Tangent caboose

NYC_George

I was thinking about lighting some of my cabooses but after looking at the new Tagent caboose models with inside & out lighting I think I'll just buy one.
George

tagent_caboose.JPG

On the Tagent site their $89.95 what they would be else where I don't know. This is their first day on the market.

Tangent doesn't do discounts. They're like Bose or Apple. You might find one for a couple of bucks off at some point in the future at a train show, if they don't sell out. My experience is, don't wait if you want it. Tangent stuff tends to sell out.

That's wrong. They do discounts when you buy 6 models and more off when you buy 12.

Yeah, maybe a couple of bucks a model. It was actually $4.67 each on some Hoppers I tried. Not exactly earth shattering. How many of us would buy six cabeese at $89.95 per? Say $80.00 per, extrapolating the discount? Besides, the OP stated "I think I'll just buy one." I've never seen single car discounts except on their less popular releases on tables at train shows, and then they weren't very big. A couple of bucks. I hope the OP got his, because man they went FAST!

Yeah, maybe a couple of bucks a model. It was actually $4.67 each on some Hoppers I tried. Not exactly earth shattering. How many of us would buy six cabeese at $89.95 per? Say $80.00 per, extrapolating the discount? Besides, the OP stated "I think I'll just buy one." I've never seen single car discounts except on their less popular releases on tables at train shows, and then they weren't very big. A couple of bucks. I hope the OP got his, because man they went FAST!
I checked with the owner, and he says he's going to do another run this year.

Yeah, maybe a couple of bucks a model. It was actually $4.67 each on some Hoppers I tried. Not exactly earth shattering. How many of us would buy six cabeese at $89.95 per? Say $80.00 per, extrapolating the discount?

I just wanted to point out Tangent DOES do multi car discounts. My point stands.

So you want just one caboose? If you can find five other nice Tangent models, you can mix and match for a discount. Just saying...

Anyway, I'm green with envy that BO/Chessie fans got a Tangent caboose. I wish Tangent would do Rio Grande cabooses. I'd buy a couple even at that price. Cabooses are signature items for many of us.

As mentioned in their website, Tangent is rerunning them.

I just wanted to point out Tangent DOES do multi car discounts. My point stands. So you want just one caboose? If you can find five other nice Tangent models, you can mix and match for a discount. Just saying...

Not saying you're wrong here, but we were talking about one, and that's what I meant. You won't find singles discounted, except in rare circumstances. Every hobby shop I've ever been in sells them at the same unit price as Tangent does. They never make it to the blowout bin. Spend a couple hundred to get eight or nine off the caboose? I think I'll pass on that strategy! ;) I'm not sure how many people would do that, and on this forum I mostly see the guys reacting poorly to freight car pricing in that range.

All that being said, I own a bunch of Tangent, mostly tankers. They do great work, and you can handle their stuff reasonably without breaking things. You may get your wish. They did say it was their first caboose, and the D&RGW is a popular enough fallen flag to justify a model (IMHO).

Last edited:
Friend of mine just put this up!
I finished some stuff for my buddy Peter in Toledo this past week. This is the brand new Tangent Chessie caboose they just released. He got one of the first and wanted it weathered up asap, you will be able to check this one out on the Tangent site.

1583784483986.png

Espessfan: Alan after looking at that weathered B&O caboose by Tangent in Sherrel's post, I hope they don't do a series of MILW Road cabooses because I'll need a couple and have to sell my Walther's cabooses.

Greg
Decisions decisions. It’s never easy is it? I’ve sold off older models several times over the years as better models became available. I’ve also given a few away to good homes.

Not saying you're wrong here, but we were talking about one, and that's what I meant. You won't find singles discounted, except in rare circumstances. Every hobby shop I've ever been in sells them at the same unit price as Tangent does. They never make it to the blowout bin.

Certain Popular Tangent rolling stock may never be found at a discount singly because they don't last long enough to need to get discounted. So in those cases the hobbyist may need do decide if a Tangent model is needful enough to fork over the asking price. Sometimes I have done just that.

But in other cases I've been able to find Tangent models at a sizable discount. For example, Lombards often has slower selling Tangent models priced at about $35, the they normally initially sold for $44. MB Klein's has blown out Tangent covered hoppers for $29 ea which I took advantage of.

Could be around half of the Tangent models I obtained at major discounts off if their regular pricing. You just gotta be a savvy shopper! I lucked out at a train show a couple months back and scored a recently released Tangent Conrail boxcar for $20! They are priced at $44 and a recent release to boot.

But again, some items may just not be found at a discount and the new cabooses may be like that, bar using their 6 or 12 model discount. Them are the apples. Is that caboose needful and worth it's price? Apparently to many yes as the sold out.

Spend a couple hundred to get eight or nine off the caboose? I think I'll pass on that strategy! ;) I'm not sure how many people would do that, and on this forum I mostly see the guys reacting poorly to freight car pricing in that range.

*Shrug*. Most have their poison I've noted. If a thing is highly desired, some will find a way. Some are happy with generic low detail models too, and that's fine too.

All that being said, I own a bunch of Tangent, mostly tankers. They do great work, and you can handle their stuff reasonably without breaking things. You may get your wish. They did say it was their first caboose, and the D&RGW is a popular enough fallen flag to justify a model (IMHO).

Rio Grande does sell well and seems to be popular. Even Trainworx is doing an N scale shop built 01400 series DRGW caboose if they can manage to get it produced. But I'm keeping my expectations low for those in HO, which is why I've splurge and bought to date, 7 brass 01400 series cabooses (six Overland and one Division Point.) They were mostly $220 each for the 4 painted ones and $150 each for the 2 unpainted. One of those was finally painted by a fellow Rio Grande fan a few years ago and hoping to get the other done this or next year. The 01400 shop built DRGW cabooses these days are hard to find and generally sell painted for $350 to $450. I got lucky last year and got one for $275.

My guess is if any correct plastic Rio Grande caboose is made in HO it will be one of the International Extended Vision cabooses from the 1966/67 build dates or the 1975 latter version. Athearn may offer one of those in the near future. Hopefully. I did manage to score an EV brass unpainted caboose for $95 last year. But with likelihood of a plastic HQ version coming out, I'm reluctant to pay big bucks for any brass EV cabooses. One recently went for $350. Bet that guy will be kicking himself if a plastic version is made for a third of that cost.

Last edited:

Back