Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stock PRR Passenger GP7 - rounded roof.

I'm sorry Guy's! I must have had a brain freeze ... Thanks for getting me re-railed!

1580312797107.png

Mikey: Heres a box car with a second life.....

1580313914354.png

This scene isn't completed, but I used a damaged SOO box car for storage on the CM&N Railroad. There's a junk yar to the right that's hidden in the photo. I purhase several lots of estate rolling stock at a swap meet and 7 cars with metal wheels and Kadee coupler were $35.00/box. This one happened to have damage that was on the reverse side of the box car that I didn't see and instead of tossing the car I gave it a second life. The car is mounted on staked RR ties and still needs steps or a ramp to the door. I did plan on adding a man door but just forgot.-Greg

That's all for now.

Greg

####################

Good Morning everyone....started with again a overcast sky. Worked for a brief time on 2019 income taxes....fun since I itemize and use the long form.

No real plans for today in the train room, but re-take that photo of the 0-8-0 since Sherrel pointed out the loose smoke box. (Thanks for the photo editing, I would have missed it.) Going to run the SD-39 with a track cleaning car and then a ore train. Waiting for prices on my logo decals from Billy in Canada. I'll use the decals on 24 undecorated Taconite cars that I have in their boxes.

I just may watch a couple of cab rides before going to the train room. Here's a good cab ride on Lee Nichols' Colorado, Utah and Western RR. a large basement sized layout set in the southwest.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ho+model+train+cab+ride&ru=/videos/search?q=ho+model+train+cab+ride&qpvt=ho+model+train+cab+ride&FORM=VDRE&view=detail&mid=F3BBF09B62545E8B609CF3BBF09B62545E8B609C&rvsmid=415272E2370AD75EB8B4415272E2370AD75EB8B4&FORM=VDMCNR

That's it for now.....

Greg

1580314875299.png

One of my future "on the cabin deck projects" is to replace the plastic log loads with real wood. It will be a project since I have 7 or 8 log cars. The three ore cars in the background are visiting from the Logan Valley Railroad in Montana, the cars were loaded with ore in Wisconsin.-Greg

Last edited:
Afternoon fellers. Another overcast day here. Makes the day feel longer than it should. Nothing new in the railroad world. I'll have to purchase some metal wheel sets going forward. I'm two hoppers short at the moment. I suppose I can run plastic wheels but I really don't want to. Other than that. I have nothing going on layout wise. Perhaps I should run some trains tonight. Wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Anyways here's some random railroad pics for yall to enjoy.
FB_IMG_1580319721560.jpg
FB_IMG_1580319702631.jpg
FB_IMG_1580319655453.jpg
FB_IMG_1580319598552.jpg

Joe - We speak two languages here in Texas, English and Mexican Spanish; which is not the same as Cuban or Puerto Rican Spanish. There's a definite drawl to the English from many who have lived here all of their lives, especially from those with rural backgrounds. I take delight in commenting to Mexicans in Spanish when they don't think that I understand what they are saying.
I saw an Anthony Bourdain show where he was "touring" southwest US food, and one of the conversations he had with a local involved the region's Spanish dialect. Seems it's "Shakespearean" Spanish, the language of Don Quixote and the conquistadors, circa 1550, or thereabouts. Apparently, modern Spanish tourists have been known to think they're being mocked when a local speaks to them. I suppose it could be true; the area was comparatively remote and isolated until the 1830s or so.

Sigh. 32, overcast and "drippy." Supposed to be the same for the next two weeks, at least, although the temp could get up to 40. I spend all day looking at photos of our past cruises, trying to feel warm, tan and dry. 47 days until embarkation, 44 days until we head over to US 23, then I 75 to the Florida Turnpike.

I know, I know. I could get my ass down to the basement and work on my layout. Maybe I will, when we get back from the podiatrist. All the guy does is trim our nails and carve on a couple of callouses, but I was told someone with neuropathy should have a podiatrist. At least insurance covers him.

20180324_102308.jpg

Afternoon All,

Spent most the day finishing a couple of projects. All the interior ceilings that were damaged are patched, stain cover painted and finally ceiling painted. We painted the entire dining room ceiling. The two other rooms only had minor damage in the corners so the entire ceilings didn't need done. On the other hand the wife says the living room and kitchen ceiling now needs painted (not immediately). Tomorrow we're putting up 2 ceiling fans in the train room. I had to go out and buy a 6 ft folding ladder with the paint shelf since my daughter somehow managed to loose my last oneo_O.

Justin- Nice pictures. The truck is neat.

Greg- Nice scenes.

Joe- Love the Pennsy photos.

Sherrel- Nice photo.

Dave- Neat photos.

Toot- Great photo with the mountain in the background.

Johnny- Great scene.

Willie- Nice photos. What's the white circular plate on the edge of the layout.

Beady- Nice picture of you and the missus.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ...

Boris .... Your picture of the Army GP10 reminds me of some I saw that ran between Hopkinsville, KY and Fort Campbell, KY.

Curt.... Thanks for your thoughtful comment. I see you are home and working on the house.

Willie .... Great layout photos.

Dave .... I like your pictures of the old WP boxcar.

Greg .... Nice job on the re-purposed boxcar. .... Below is one I did for my layout. Reggie acquired a wood boxcar from the railroad, and he made it into his auto parts warehpouse and store. You can see him working on his stock car.

35669943502_b1e057395c_b.jpg

Sherrel ... Nice photos of Frisco locomotives.

Johnny ..... Regarding possible train rides, we have thought about riding the Tennessee Central wine tasting trip from Nashville to about 100 miles east of Nashville on the Nashville and Eastern RR. .... I like your scene.

Justin .... Nice photos

Toot ... Good pictures of MRL Geeps.

Cheers.

Back from the layout room....the Mrs started to clean out the space for my expansion area. Lots of junk and after three hours little looks like it been removed.

I did find when I was cleaning up my layout storage areas, eight Milwaukee Road twin hopper coal cars. I purchased them from a local hobby shop for $6 each and they have metal wheels, Kadee couplers, real coal loads and slightly weathered. They was also a new Atlas twin hopper coal car in the same plastic container. All of the cars' coupler worked fine and the wheel sets in gauge. Forgot I had these cars.

Ran the eight cars behind a recently acquired GP9 locomotive.

Garry:
I like your auto parts store (box car) and I'll do a corrugated canopy similar to yours on some building on the layout.

Beady:
When I was in high school and then college I worked at a Landscape contractor and large Garden Center and we had a crew of perhaps as many as 15 seasonal workers from Mexico. I needed to speak their language to communicate job instructions. A learned a lot from them, but when I took Spanish in my first year of college I was told I was speaking a blend of Mexcican Spansih and Apache!

Time to go....

Greg

Well one of my take aways at this show was the varying heights of these modular layouts. From 42 inches to 52 inches I found that very interesting as I am working my layout frame work. I started one wall thus far with the ledger set at 42 inches which is standard bar height. Now I am rethinking it and may go to 48....we shall see.

Another interesting thing about the show was the immense talent and certain people are providing their talents as a service or creating that one thing and selling it. Always intriguing.

I will begin posting my progress soon on my layout etc.
Trains shows are one of those places I like to go alone. I love to wander back and forth looking, comparing prices for the same item on different tables, look for unusual items that might be used on my layout. Wander around again in case I missed something, you never know.

Boris .... Your picture of the Army GP10 reminds me of some I saw that ran between Hopkinsville, KY and Fort Campbell, KY.
Garry: Somewhere, I have a photo of two Ft. Campbell GP-10s. have to look for the photo.

Joe- Love the Pennsy photos.
Curt: Thanks. Stay tuned, I have more to upload.

Johnny ..... Regarding possible train rides, we have thought about riding the Tennessee Central wine tasting trip from Nashville to about 100 miles east of Nashville on the Nashville and Eastern RR. ....
Garry: That sounds like a great ride.

[QUOTE="santafewillie, post: 472639, member: 3237"]Joe - We speak two languages here in Texas, English and Mexican Spanish; which is not the same as Cuban or Puerto Rican Spanish. There's a definite drawl to the English from many who have lived here all of their lives, especially from those with rural backgrounds. I take delight in commenting to Mexicans in Spanish when they don't think that I understand what they are saying.[/QUOTE]
Willie: Young man, down the street from us made the mistake of saying something derogatory, in Spanish, as my wife and son walked by. He was shocked, when my son lit into him in full Cali-spanish. Never had a problem with the young man, again. What surprises me, is that I understand as much Spanish as I do, considering I suffered through two years of it in high school.

AAkEGAu.jpg

Steam heat E-60 with Florida train, back arounf 1976 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back