Do you model with DC power, DCC, or MTHs DCS; or, other?

Do you model with DC power, DCC, or MTHs DCS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
N

NP2626

Simple question, state what you use. No claims that your ideas are best about this. This is a simply a matter of personal choice! What Model Railroading operating system(s) do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the DC system. I'm a single operator, and usually run two trains at a time. One on my main line and one on the local for switching. That's everything I want from a layout, so DC works for me.

Last edited:
I use DC. It's not for everybody but it works for me. I am a lone operator and don't care for sound. While I can run two trains at once, I never do because I can only keep track of one at a time. However I sometimes run one on the upper level while my grandson runs one on the lower level. I cannot see the entire layout from any vantage point at any time because of it's serpentine nature, I have to follow the train that I am running. I also have 80+ DC locomotives and do not relish installing decoders in them all, either timewise or dollar wise.

I use Digitrax DCC. Most of the time its just me but quite often my grandkids are over and when that happens they want to operate the layout. They had no problem with the DCC controls.

I have the Digitrax Zephyr Express, it is easy to learn and easy to use. I started with Digitrax Zephyr DCS 50, back around 1998. I have also owned the Zephyr Xtra, too.

Not trying to start an argument, but what about some of the other control systems out there. I am working on designing my first real layout with a control system. Many years ago I had the standard DC operating system for a Marklen train set. Haven't had one since. However for the last couple of years since my Wife and I have moved into a house with space for a layout, I have been looking into starting one. I have read tons of articles and watched hours of video on how to build a layout and how to control trains. I was amazed after reading about DCC. Man, controling two trains on the same layout without having to turn off sections of track. Then I read about Ring Engineering products. Seems simple to run. I think when I do start doing my layout, I'll go with Ring Engineering Ststem. I have read a lot about both DCC and Ring Engineering and in my humble opinion, Ring Wins.

FSUDadof3, you are correct. I never considered an R/C system although I understand they are becoming more popular. I have since added R/C Systems to the poll.

I've been operating DCC since the 90s and have quite a few components by Digitrax to go with it.
I'm planning a switch over to ESU Lok Sound though that will still use my Digitrax throttles.

DCC Late Bloomer here. My previous layout which I started in late 2004 was DC, finally took the plunge in the summer of 2007 after doing a few decoder installs and gaining confidence. NCC PHPro-Radio system, still going strong.

FSUDadof3, you are correct. I never considered an R/C system although I understand they are becoming more popular. I have since added R/C Systems to the poll.
Well I guess I have to still go with DCC even tho I do have the Ring Railpro system. I’ve been trying to get it going but can’t get it working properly.
Right now I’m just running DC while I’m planning the layout.

Back