Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="Sirfoldalot, post: 471235, member: 2010"]Who would have thought that Tenn. would beat Bal?[/QUOTE]
Sherrel: What was that famous quote? "On any given day..." In any event, that loss ends my football season.

It's still very windy here and around 67°, but the rain is gone and the sun is out. Temperature is supposed to drop down to the low 50s by evening.

Boris

The gas can to refill the generator was kind of low, and I had to gas up my truck for the week's drive to work, so I ventured out into the powerless wilderness in search of fuel. Yes, there was a gallon in the can, but I'd rather look for gas in daylight...
Anyway, since when is a non-functioning traffic light considered a free-for-all? I nearly got killed at nearly every intersection, where people would just blast through without any thought. I seem to remember a dead traffic signal supposed to be treated as a four-way stop. When did that change?

Is it spring already? Temp. is 75* at 10 a.m. ,should hit 85* later.
I am awed by the degree of artistry shown by the layouts pictured on the forum. NO , I am not jealous , just wish I had the some of the GENE that would help me do better than the bareass pike I have. Two thumbs per hand are helpful. lol
Hope y'all stay warm and well,
Phil

Good Morning Everyone out there in Model Railroad Land....overcast and sort of mild for mid-January.

Missed model railroading yesterday due to the two play off games and then there's the Packer game later today. Go Pack!!!

On Friday I got my two 70 tonners from Bachmann running in a consist. I want to run them tail to tail for switching. So today I'll use my Digitrax PR-4 to read the decoders' CVs and see if I can change the direction of travel with a simple change in the value of CV 29. Bachmann used inexpensive decoders in these locomotives so I may have switch the motor leads on the board instead. I have not used my Digitrax PR-4 since I purchased it. Nice tool if used.

Read the article in the latest MR about the restoration of John Allen's Dockside switcher. Enjoyed the article but I wished the author would of told us how he did a lot of the restoration rather than what he did to restore the Dockside. I was lucky enough to see John's locomotive #34 on display at Kalmbach's office's in Waukesha, Wisconsin.

I think I've driven my truck four or five times since I got Lyme disease last July and then the gall stone operation and the complications that left me in ICU for an extended period of time. Sometime next week if the roads clear I'll get gas, a truck wash and visit a great hobby shop that I usually don't stop at since it's a distance from my home. The Mrs. has been my driver.

Tomorrow I'll manually clean the coal spur tracks so I can switch the mine. Switching will work best if I stand in the access hole and can see the trackage, but I need to install a second set of toggle switches to control the turnouts when I'm standing in the access opening.

My passing siding is sort of short so train length is limited when using the siding. I can use a spur track off the siding to allow more cars to use the siding. The train would have to enter the siding and clear the spur turnout, throw the turnout and then back into the spur. Not too prototypical, but it will work for me and make operating more interesting.

That's all for now....

Greg

############################

Good morning, America! Glad that everyone made it through the stormy weather relatively unscathed. We really got lucky! We only got about an inch of snow accumulation, most melted on contact. It's 24 degrees now and cloudy and light wind. We never got the 2-3" of rain or the 4-7" of snow, along with the high winds, they originally predicted.

Terry- Our generator will run on propane or gasoline. We've got 50lbs. on hand for standby use because it's cleaner and easier to store. Don't have to mess with adding Stabil ot the gas or keeping track of how old the gas is. I figure that I'll be able to get gasoline if needed somewhere if needed.

Willie and Hobo- Nice pictures of your layouts. I really like seeing them.

I've got a question for all the airbrush users here. I take it from what I've read, that the over spray from using an airbrush dries very quickly, so any over spray would be dry by the time it exited the hose from a spray booth. If that's the case, then would I be able to use a shop vac to capture any remnants of over spray not caught by the filter? Just using acrylics, no enamels or anything using flammable thinners.

Hope everyone stays warm and dry. Later.

Read the article in the latest MR about the restoration of John Allen's Dockside switcher. Enjoyed the article but I wished the author would of told us how he did a lot of the restoration rather than what he did to restore the Dockside.

I agree. Too many current articles say "Look what I just did". and too few say "This is how I did it". My comment applies to all model magazines, MR, RMC and MRH.

Boris

Good morning. 31 degrees and overcast with another winter weather advisory out for us. So far the forecast have a batting average around 3%. Can't believe we missed out on the weather that is hitting some of you guys. Almost no snow up here. Hast year at this time it was butt deep on a tall Indian.

Jim - Good photos. Those buildings will look great in a town scene. Keep them coming.

Tex
- Nice photo of the tug and bait shop.

Terry
- Good video. Haven't seen this one yet.

Willie
- Haven't seen the latest photos you posted. Sweet.

Greg
- You'll have to post some photos of the 70 ton switchers together.

Got a few more vehicle in the mail yesterday. Finally found the '57 Chevy Cameos. They had been out there but all going at almost full price. Found these and a couple of the Oxford DeSoto's at a good discount. The Chevy pickups all had to be taken apart as the bed and cab on all of them was out of alignment. Quick fix.

thumbnail_20200111_151602.jpg

The next photo is not about trains but is one of my favorite period photos. Took a picture of it last Friday at the doctors office. It was used in an ad, but I would like to be able to find one I could frame.

thumbnail_20200111_060438.jpg

Myst be some good pie. Hope to get down to the train room again for a while. The leg is improving and I can sit on the bar stool and stand for longer periods of time.

Later

Good morning, America! Glad that everyone made it through the stormy weather relatively unscathed. We really got lucky! We only got about an inch of snow accumulation, most melted on contact. It's 24 degrees now and cloudy and light wind. We never got the 2-3" of rain or the 4-7" of snow, along with the high winds, they originally predicted.

Terry- Our generator will run on propane or gasoline. We've got 50lbs. on hand for standby use because it's cleaner and easier to store. Don't have to mess with adding Stabil ot the gas or keeping track of how old the gas is. I figure that I'll be able to get gasoline if needed somewhere if needed.

Willie and Hobo- Nice pictures of your layouts. I really like seeing them.

I've got a question for all the airbrush users here. I take it from what I've read, that the over spray from using an airbrush dries very quickly, so any over spray would be dry by the time it exited the hose from a spray booth. If that's the case, then would I be able to use a shop vac to capture any remnants of over spray not caught by the filter? Just using acrylics, no enamels or anything using flammable thinners.

Hope everyone stays warm and dry. Later.
Bob, yup, our weather seems to follow yours. It's now overcast, 27° with no wind. We did get some ice and snow, but the current combined accumulation seems to be an inch or less. The next big story will be flooding; it seems the rest of the state got hammered and it will all be heading downstream towards us. Had our property surveyed a year ago and our basement is two feet above the 100-year flood line. Came close 18 months ago, when they were evacuating people two blocks away.

We almost have MIL's apartment cleared out. Our next trip will be to bring back her power chair, that she never used because she was afraid it would fling her across the room. Then it's time to call the Salvation Army to come get what's left, and Bob's your uncle.

Good afternoon all. A cool mid 50's day and overcast. Thanks to all for the likes on the photo. I need to add a crewmen or 2 to the tug, and maybe a mooring line. Not totally happy with the paint, so may touch up.
Well with a couple of play off games today I may not get to the RR room. Go Houston! (On any given Sunday!!!)
LATER

Afternoon All,

Busy day today. Started out with chores. Moved the old mattress several times for measurements (manufacturer claim), got the new mattress then started destroying the layout. I just have a small section left to do. The photo was taken from where the other end was.

Terry- The trunk monkey ads are pretty funny.

Justin- Nice photos.

Willie- Nice layout scenes.

Chet- Nice job on the dealership.

Beady- Nice bridge.

Wheeler- That's cool. He has been wanting one for ages.

Phil- Now you can add a Rio Grande something (?) to run your consists.

20200112_154041.jpg

I hop everyone has a good night.

Hey everyone!

Thanks - to all who liked my stuff!

Curt - Thanks for the structure comment!

Dave - Thanks! I have photos below ↓

Hughie - Really like the tug! Matter in fact - the whole scene!

Justin - Oh ya - more great photos!

Willie - I like the before and after photos!
In my professional travels, I dodged many tornadoes. But sitting in a house wondering . . . :oops:

Sherrel - On the way to the bathroom this morning, I stubbed 2 toes . . . THAT really woke me up. Then the power went out. The Mrs. and I did go to breakfast and the electricity was on when we got home. :cool:

Terry - You're right about the non-functioning light. It is the same as a 4-way stop. But a lot of people
don't understand 4-way stops, either!

Bob - I don't see why you couldn't use a shop-vac, in fact, that's a good idea.

Chet - Thanks for the comment! I always liked your Chevy dealer.
That's a large pie! They must have thrown the whole chicken in! Hence, the dog's interest ;)
Good news on your leg!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Layout News:

I got a lot done on the layout, despite the 4 hour power outage early this morning. I have 2 of the 3
bridge abutments done, except for paint. I used 1x, then burned in the joint lines to give them some depth.

qN4lPDK.jpg

The addition to Nick's Garage is done, except for the gutters/downspouts and a couple of exterior lights.
I made it from a cereal box. I'm not painting it, as I like the color of the cardboard.

xN6X9Rb.jpg

4bdA9Pe.jpg

Everyone have a nice day!
Jim

Sherrel - On the way to the bathroom this morning, I stubbed 2 toes . . . THAT really woke me up.

Jim - That's why God gave us little toes - so we can locate furniture in the dark!

Bob - I don't see why you couldn't use a shop-vac, in fact, that's a good idea.

NOPE - Not a good idea - much to powerful and noisy! You don't want the suction to distort the spray pattern. Try a computer fan, or maybe two of them - in each top corner.

JIM .. Great work on the garage and the bridge abutment. Fact is that is AWESOME work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back