Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, y'all: Right now, it is somewhat sunny and 57°, with a "warm" Southerly wind. The weekend forecast consists of warm temperatures with all sorts of weather possibilities, and a moderate but undecided week ahead. The goal is to take advantage of the mild weather to get some painting done outside.

Boris

Good morning, America! Looks like we may have gotten very lucky! We had temps around 50-54 all day yesterday, with light mist in the afternoon. That changed to off and on rain, heavy at times, with some thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure. Was supposed to be ice and freezing rain this morning, changing to snow later today with up to 5-6 inches of snow with blowing wind. Well, so far, the rain has been less than predicted and the temp is still 33 degrees and no rain. They're now calling for it to snow this afternoon with an accumulation of 2-3 inches. Hope they're right. I got the generator ready to go if needed.

The roofers started at 7 am today...no sleeping in. I boxed up the track and turnouts then cut up 3 pieces of the layout base before getting a phone call that daughters dryer drum wasn't turning:mad::mad:. So off to daughters house and tore it apart again. For some reason the drum will only turn when filled about a 1/3 full. Any fuller and the drum just sits. I don't know what the issue is.

Curt- Our dryer started doing the same thing a couple of years ago. I took it all apart and everything looked OK. Put it back together and it would work fine. Put a load in and the drum wouldn't turn. Take most of the clothes out and it would work. I noticed that the seal around the drum was getting worn enough that the drum would sag against the seal and cause enough drag to stop the drum with the added weight of wet clothes.

I got a new seal and the high temp glue to put the new one on for around $30 I think. Took it apart, removed the old seal and glue, replaced with new and allowed it to sit for the recommended time and viola! It worked like new! So, you might try turning the drum by hand, it should turn relatively easily. Then try turning the drum by hand, but also push down on the inside of the drum towards the door to simulate a load of clothes. If you notice a big difference needed to turn it, give the seal a close inspection. Hope this helps.

Good afternoon.
Apria has been reported for Medicare fraud, after they refused to refund the $$$ they took for something they can't by law charge for.
Imagine them charging $32/month for 5 years times the number of people they've done this to...

Terry- Go get them!

Garry- Great photo!

Chet- Imagine how good these big six axle units would look in the original roads' liveries!

Sherrel- That old truck sure looks nice.

Boris- Well said regarding Medicare and seniors.

Alan- That RS11sounds nice. What decoder does it have?

Toot- Sure hope the nightmare fires end soon. It's terrible to see so much devastation!

Willie- I'm not sure, but the look on Fluffy's face seems like he might be less than happy.:) The buildings look great. What do you use for roads?

Everybody stay safe and warm!

Morning! It;s 35 and the forecast says up to 63 for a high. Sunny skies and calm winds.
I went down and looked at the 2004 Ford Ranger - I like it! It's been my mechanic's personal truck for two years and like I said - he has repaired every little thing that needed work ... new brakes, tires, top engine overhaul, a/c and heater work great, no dents anywhere and original paint (looks new) -- only thing I could find wrong with it is the volume knob is missing from the radio - I think I have one that may fit? Oh, it does have a chip in the lower right corner of the windscreen, but it does not hamper vision.
State Farm came through on my 98 Dodge Dakota. They said that the repair was in the neighborhood of $3,100 plus "other unknown damage" - so they offered me $3950 for it after taking the $500 deductible into account. Oh, my truck had the "jump seats" in the rear - this one had the jump seats with the (what I call) 3/4 doors. Did I mention that Shawn is asking $3,000 for it and he said he would add a fresh oil change and a fresh smog certificate. For me it appears to be a win-win all around.

Thanks Alan about the cleaning tip. I think its acyclic paint so that's why I choose Goo Gone, because I want that stuff gone.

I did get one brushing working. :)

Greg
Lacquer thinner will cut acrylic paint residue too. Goo Gone tends to leave a residue behind. If I have a really nasty one, I always soak the parts in lacquer thinner first, then if I'm going to paint with acrylics I shoot some acrylic thinner through the brush first. Don't soak any O rings in Lacquer thinner!

For general airbrushing, next time you replace one I'd recommend a gravity feed double action. You'll love how versatile they are. I'm also a big fan of Brand "I" over brand "B" or Brand "P". I don't buy as many spare parts since I moved over. If you're using any Vallejo, their thinner cuts their paint residue better than any generic equivalent.

On the local front - I decided NOT to go to Laughlin. Just have too much happening here.
The Spousal Unit has MIL duty from Thursday noon until Monday noon. Our youngest daughter has to have an MRI on Monday - her shoulder has really been giving her pain from the fall where she broke her elbow - I may be drafted to drive her to San Diego.
Everyone is out of town except us, so I lost all my "dog sitters" and I couldn't get them all into a kennel due to the newest addition does not have a US rabies shot - she is a Mexico rescue and the US does not recognize a Mexico certificate - go figure!

Willie - Happy that you survived the storms yesterday! They sure looked bad on the weather site.
You photo this morning has interesting details ... the cafe looks really busy inside and in the first photo looks like Mom is dragging one child along and the folks dressed in red and green look like they need to "get a room" - but the second photo shows them at arms length.

Alan- That RS11sounds nice. What decoder does it have?

It's a Lok Sound version 5 Bob. I've bought a pair of Scale Trains Tunnel Motors and a pair of these RS-11's, both with the Lok Sound decoders. Between them and the sugar cube speakers the sound really is great! I've been very happy with both companies' efforts. I'm still primarily a steam guy, but I do have a small fleet of 60's-80's equipment that I run on the club layout during operating sessions.

It's a Lok Sound version 5 Bob. I've bought a pair of Scale Trains Tunnel Motors and a pair of these RS-11's, both with the Lok Sound decoders. Between them and the sugar cube speakers the sound really is great! I've been very happy with both companies' efforts. I'm still primarily a steam guy, but I do have a small fleet of 60's-80's equipment that I run on the club layout during operating sessions.

I also like that 21 pin plug & socket. Makes installation super easy. I can hard wire with the best of them, but with my SP diesels, and all of the light packages they had, not having to do that anymore was a huge blessing!

Morning! It;s 35 and the forecast says up to 63 for a high. Sunny skies and calm winds.
I went down and looked at the 2004 Ford Ranger - I like it! It's been my mechanic's personal truck for two years and like I said - he has repaired every little thing that needed work ... new brakes, tires, top engine overhaul, a/c and heater work great, no dents anywhere and original paint (looks new) -- only thing I could find wrong with it is the volume knob is missing from the radio - I think I have one that may fit? Oh, it does have a chip in the lower right corner of the windscreen, but it does not hamper vision.
State Farm came through on my 98 Dodge Dakota. They said that the repair was in the neighborhood of $3,100 plus "other unknown damage" - so they offered me $3950 for it after taking the $500 deductible into account. Oh, my truck had the "jump seats" in the rear - this one had the jump seats with the (what I call) 3/4 doors. Did I mention that Shawn is asking $3,000 for it and he said he would add a fresh oil change and a fresh smog certificate. For me it appears to be a win-win all around.
The Ranger is generally more reliable than the Dakrapa. Is the Ranger 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder? The 4 may struggle going up the mountains in your area.

The buildings look great. What do you use for roads?
Bob - I use tarpaper or sometimes called roofing felt, cut into strips and glued to the plywood base with Elmer's White Glue. If I recall, it is either the 15# or maybe the 30# variety; it's been a while since I bought it for construction purposes. While jet-black when applied, it quickly fades to that asphalt color under the lights. Once faded, it stays the same. Well duh! It is asphalt impregnated to begin with!:cool: In that area I used a white paint pen to do the striping.

My Dakrapa was one of my favorite trucks until it fell apart all at once like Sherrel's. The day the service called about the cost to repair the truck at 32k miles was the day I started to look for another PU which was a Toyota that lasted until a woman ran a Red signal I "T Boned" her and totaled the truck.

My current truck is a 2014 Silverado and I enjoy the truck with its horsepower, ride and overall quality.

Greg

Good morning. 28 degrees and cloudy. Looks like my weather rock wins again. The weather forecast had us under a winter wearter advisory and not a single snow flake.

Sherrel - Like that photo of the Frisco truck. I must be old as I can remember those White tractors on the road when I was a kid. Those little Ford Rangers area bad trucks. We had one for a shop truck where I worked and my grandson also has one. Just keeps going with regular upkeep.

Curt - Sounds like the belt for turning the drum on the dryer is most likely worn and stretched. Glad you were able to salvage so much form your layout.

Terry - Glad that you are reporting the Medicare abuser. Hope they they can do something. I'm sure that they've probably been ripping others off also.

Greg - Hope you can find the problem with the air brushes. Hopefully a good soaking in solvent will help. Have no idea of the Jeopardy was. Haven't watched a game show in decades.

Bob - We needless to say have a good 1/87 scale representation of what's going on out right outside the club.

thumbnail_20190829_134007.jpg

We don't stick with any particular area when we run at the club. Anything goes but the visitors do like seeing what is familiar in the area. Montana Rail Link has their main shop in the old Northern Pacific buildings and there are always helpers in and out of the yard.

20181020_202131.jpg

These are the helpers at the bottom of the two and a half percent grade. Part of the front coupler has been removed so the helpers can push a train up the grade and then just reverse back down the grade with no need to get near the locomotives. Visitors are always wondering how it's done.

Hoping to get down to the train room later today and do some switching.

Later.

Good Afternoon Everyone..overcast with some light snow on top of a coating of ice. The heavy snow forecast turned out to be "Fake News" and now maybe 2-4 inches of snow later, now 10-13 inches.

Lunch and then down to the train room and finish lettering the SOO Line caboose kit bash. Just a few other simple projects before the Viking's game..

Chet: That idea of modifying the front couplers of the helper loco sounds good. Really like those BNSF locomotives and their color themes. One of my favorite colors for locomotives. Those MRL locomotive aren't too bad either in the yard setting.

Willie: Your tar paper road construction is a good idea and should be easy to install for realistic roadways and parking lots.

Espessfan: Thanks for the air brush tips. Its funny that I've had problems with the two air brushes since I am very careful about cleaning them after use. I always shoot some thinner to help clean the brush and then do a complete disassemble of the brush and clean the parts individually.

Lunch time.

Greg

Nice photos there CHET and BBob. You guys just have to keep throwing in my face those
BEEN NOTHING SINCE FRISCO pumpkin colored monsters! LOL
Just kidding! Actually, I think they look pretty good with that choice of colors and I do see many of them around Riverside and San Bernardino just up North from me.

GREG -- Hope you have the air brushes working without having to purchase another.
I have a "brand P" that I have not used in almost 30 years ... You have me wondering if it will still function at all? If I can get my garage put back together, I have several projects that I would like to work on and will dig it out and see if I can get it to work again. I want to sandblast a couple Lionel steamers that are in the restore process and several HO diesel shells and several more flats and tank cars that I have partly assembled to paint and decal.

Looking forward to the Packers game tomorrow!

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to all who commented on and liked my stuff!

Willie - good that you got the Hdwe. & Feed problem fixed and it's looking better than ever.
With all of the fur and food, Fluffy looks content.
Merchants Row is a oldie, but goodie.
Sounds like a helluva storm you had yesterday and the threat of tornados :oops: but I
guess you're kind of use to it :(

Garry - excellent Blackhawk photo!

Sherrel - at $3k the Ranger is a good deal, especially when your mechanic will stand behind it. That's a
cool Frisco truck :cool:

Chet - great photos :)

Bob - nice taconite train photo! :cool:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Layout News:
I built the highway bridge across the creek and have to make 3 - stone block abutments with one in
the middle of the creek, then it will be ready for the road building crew to approach from each end.

sv8WTO9.jpg

I got these 2 buildings painted. The one on left will be Nick's Garage (in honor of my Dad) and I'm constructing
a drive-thru garage addition that will be attached on the rear.

The right building is West Penn Hdwe. & Oil Well Supply. It will also have a scratch-built warehouse addition
on the rear.

1MWY5w5.jpg

Everyone have a great day!
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back