Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 59°, windy and cloudy.The expected rain hasn't made it here yet, it's still nearly 300 miles south of here. However there's flash flood warnings for the counties south and east of here starting around noon tomorrow. Snow is still in the forecast for Saturday, but it will melt upon hitting the wet ground. Back into the 60's Sunday, as well as today and tomorrow. It's some crazy and abnormal weather around here for January. Grocery/beer trek this morning. Appointment with an eye doctor is also on the trip list. I may have to finally get glasses. I also have a bit of cloudiness in the corner of my right eye that makes some detail work a bit difficult.

Ham, hash browns and sunny-side up eggs sounds good for me this morning Francine.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the various posts yesterday; Patrick, Johnny, Jerome, Mikey, Justin, Ricky, Phil, Chad, Garry, Sherrel, Chet, Ken, Jim, Bob, Curt, Tom, Joe, Hughie, Kyle.

Disaster greeted me yesterday in the train shed. Or more like disappointment. The base for the Majestic Hardware had curled up like an ancient scroll and the parking area cracked in several places when I flattened it out. I wasn't expecting this since I used styrene as a base. My best guess is that the water in the glue/water mixture evaporated more quickly than the glue dried causing the extreme curling. I had to spend over an hour reworking it and it is now drying under weights. Hope it works.
Someone mentioned yesterday about businesses above other businesses. Here is one from my layout with a detective agency and palm reader above the pizza joint.
01-08-20.2 007.JPG

Patrick - My layout is completely flat by design. Two reasons, I model "flatlands America" representing North Texas to Kansas; and it was going to be easier to build. I have three "cutouts" to represent waterways so I can use some of my old bridges. Since I am most interested in switching, there is no chance of runaway cars at any industries.
I've been going to bed around 8:30 for over 40 years now; don't feel alone. I don't watch TV so I am not missing anything.
Johnny - Happy Birthday.
Mikey - No particular specific location for Majestic. It is weathered similar to structures in this area of North Central Texas. The pictures look like I slightly overdid the roof, but it doesn't look as bold in person.
Bob - Was that a typo regarding loading grain in boxcars?:rolleyes: I actually have a single grain boxcar (no roofwalk) that I occasionally use at my smallest grain elevator.
Sherrel -
-- do you have a powered tiller for turning over your garden?
I do, but I rarely use it. It chops up the earthworms - bad; it chops up Johnson Grass roots that then propagate into many more invasive plants - bad; and it is difficult to use unless my heavy clay soil moisture is exactly right. While time consuming, it is good easy exercise to just dig it all with a pitchfork. I did over 450 sq ft in about four hours spread over three days this week Soil in the actual garden is quite loose after almost 40 years of incorporating lots of organic materials into it.
Chet - It seems that warm to you and warm to me are worlds apart!

Today is National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day. I think that that should be everyday. So hug a law enforcement officer today (watch out Beady) and show your appreciation. OK, maybe ask them first or just shake their hand.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, America! A windy 41 degrees with a high of 53 and heavy rain later. The weather people are saying that this will change to ice, then snow Saturday morning. Doesn't sound like a good weekend, weather wise.

Johnny- Happy birthday! Hope it's a great one!

Willie- I don't think any of those women are enough to make a young man wish or an old man cry! Nice work, as usual! I hope the cure for the hardware store works out!

Bob - Was that a typo regarding loading grain in boxcars?:rolleyes: I actually have a single grain boxcar (no roofwalk) that I occasionally use at my smallest grain elevator.

Here's a place to get some interesting facts for referencing timelines and other info for railroads. It changed some of my ideas of what I thought the correct times were for some stuff. Interesting reading at any rate, notice the timeline for 1961 and 1969 regarding grain loading. Now, I need to use box cars for my elevator instead of the covered hoppers I had planned on using.

Got to make a run to Peoria today. We watch our youngest granddaughter after preschool. Will take her out to eat and then a trip to Costco. Always a big day for all of us!

Everyone be safe! Later.

Top of the morning, everyone!

Thanks to all who liked and commented on my stuff!

Flo - I'm still on the ham & cheese omelet kick, so I'll have that with home fries, wheat toast & coffee

Terry - good to hear your wife is doing better and at home.

Karl - that's a real nice elevator :cool::)

Chet - that's one great turntable - excellent! Nice that your honoring your friend.
How's your leg doing?

Johnny - Happy Birthday !!! Funny B-day card!
The Pine Valley photos are fantastic!

Justin - really like the old C&O photos!

Willie - great modeling skills! Very fine-looking photos, especially the "career girls" !!
As you, I like elevators. I've been around them most of my life. My layout elevator
is about 50% done and hope to finish by years end, as it is all scratch-built.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My MRRing news:
I spent a lot of time yesterday, constructing 3 structures. None of them are far enough along to post some photos. I worked at such a fevered pace :rolleyes:;) that between glue-ups and drying paint, I had time to re-couple 2 cars and run the trains! I plan on doing much of the same, today.

I'll be back later . . . so everyone have a nice day!
Jim

the WM - Deal, PA 1952
SGasLb4.jpg

Juanita shops - Altoona
AzDWFQf.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone....cloudy and drizzle in this part of Wisconsin and snow is in the forecast. The amounts are anywhere from 2-10 inches depending on who's doing the forecasting, but the one forecaster I used a lot when I worked and needed accurate forecasts is predicting 10 inches or more.

Yesterday, I when to the MD office for the results of tests and then down to Southside Trains in Milwaukee which is 35 miles from my house and my only purchase was a capacitor for my caboose project. We went to a strictly hamburger joint near by and it's within walking distance of NAPM's model railroad club house. NAPM is a large, well establish model railroading club in Milwaukee with an excellent website. The restaurant was called Mazo's and the hamburgers were great and I also ordered an old fashioned malt that came in the metal mixing container. Excellent!!!

Today, back to work on the SOO line caboose lighting install. The mounting hole in the rear of the caboose has been drilled and the end of the LED has been fitted. The power pick up truck have been installed and today I'll them to make sure the trucks pick up power and the polarity is correct. Also mount the LED flashing unit in the base of the caboose and the interior lighting unit to the inside of the roof. This unit has four daylight LED's which should light up the caboose's interior.

I have a mini-wire connector that I'll use to connect the lighting leads (4) to the power leads (2) from the trucks.

I been running that track cleaning car on the mainline and the rail heads really shine. Today, I'll run the track cleaners through the passing siding as well.

I'll do some other odds and ends on the railroad.

That's all for now....

Greg

################################

Terry:
Glad you're wife is now home and recovering.

Willie-I do not mean to be critical of the weathering on the Majestic hardware. I like the bold weathering and was trying to get a mental setting for your layout.
I do like the scenery at the Coco Club. It gives a different meaning to the term "street vendor".
Didn't take it as critical. I like all of your comments, that's why I named Mikey's Mattress Manufacturer after one of your industry suggestions.

Afternoon All,

For the love of all things holy please make the pounding stop (roof)! The job started 6 hours late today:( so I don't know if the completion will be Saturday now. Daughter's dryer part came in early so that job got finished today instead of tomorrow. I salvaged the last of the flex track that I'm going to save which is about 60%. I'll clean it (old ballast) after the roof job so I don't have stuff falling on my head (outside). Tomorrow I should start the actual demolition of the base.

Willie- The decrepit building looks great.

Bob- Nice 1:1 photo.

Jim- Enjoyed the photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hey Y'all! Hope everyone is having a good day. Went to the orthopedic Doc this morning and had my first Gelsyn -3 injection in each knee. Have to return for another next week and the final in two weeks. He also drained my left knee, if I remember correctly about 45 cc of fluid. I continue Physical Therapy for at least 7 more sessions, then wait for six months and what's next.
Meanwhile.. I have begun re-laying the Reading track beyond (left) of the (non operating) movable bridge. I'm also adding feed wires and a buss, so I can incorporate DCC. Then I relocate the parallel PRR branch, so I can include a switch to the Ford plant. This time the track will be tested then permanently ballasted.

Garry: My Part D is through the Teamsters. They offer a choice of three options, with different monthly rates, deductibles, co-pays and Donut hole discounts. Of course, the rates vary significantly from plan to plan. Drug availability (Formulary) varies also. It's my belief, that Part D is unnecessarily complicated...but it is what it is...:rolleyes:.

Going to take advantage of the predited mild weather this weekend, to paint and weather track and structures in the garage, rather than on the layout. (Think Micro Engineering Weathered Flex). Priority is to reconnect the mains and complete the industrial area in the left corner of the U.

2-23-2018 Industrial center.jpg

File photo.

Terry: Guess the wife is doing better?

Have a good evening.

Boris

Good Afternoon Everyone....lastest forecasts one said up to 16 inches of snow....!!! First real large storm of the season and perhaps even elevated to a blizzard. I'm glad that the Mrs. likes to blow snow and cut grass.

Bad train day. Neither air brush wanted to work....I cleaned them real good after their last use. Don't know what's wrong with them....one pushes air the other no air. Both are Badger 200 that I purchased at bargain prices at a close out. Time for a new one and I'll buy another Badger since I have all the spare parts.

Still running that track cleaning train and no derailments at the track that I adjusted after 6-8 hours of running the track cleaning train. Tomorrow I'l run a real train for awhile.

That's all for now.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back