Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening. It's windy and 47.
I found out what the cash thing was.
Copay for the antibiotic.
The hospital says no local pharmacies have any in stock, and have to order from the hospital. They said it's important the treatment continues uninterrupted, so they acted as drug store.
Heading off in a few minutes to pick up the wife.
Terry - that sounds like hopeful news, will keep praying for the two of you...

Hiya gang,
Predicted afternoon rain turning to snow didn't happen, started as snow instead. Just about 2-3 inches so far. Not enough to bother me, but enough to overwhelm the village idiots. Superslow drivers, cars in ditches, and folks rear ending each other. What fun!
Boy and dog have been playing in the yard, wife fixing dinner and I have a roaring fire going. Life is good!

Willie, that mill kit has always been a favorite of mine. Mine is currently safely stored, but will reappear someday!
MW_300_Coop2.jpg

Justin I wouldnt mind getting snowed in, as long as I could make a run at me LHS the day before!

Chet, That station looks like it could have been a Walthers kit, neat!

Ooops, the dinner bell rang, BBL!

Unfortunately, my wife is not allowed to use that coupon, according to the hospital. It has to be purchased at full retail using her Medicare. Something about insurance fraud. I hope to know more when they deign to call me.

I found out what the cash thing was.
Copay for the antibiotic.

Terry: Not for nothing, they should have told you that in the first place. It would have saved a lot of misunderstanding and suspicion.
Good news is that you're bringing her home.

Terry: Not for nothing, they should have told you that in the first place. It would have saved a lot of misunderstanding and suspicion.
Good news is that you're bringing her home.
She's home now. The copay was eye-watering, for medicine. Several hundred dollars... And that's just the copay. I'm not sure I want to know how much full retail was. And no, they wouldn't honor Willie's coupon thing. I asked.

Johnnie- I sure like your business district.
Remember that many second story businesses were lawyers, dentists, chiropractors, insurance offices, accounting, firms, tailor shops, bail bondsmen, secretarial schools, tattoo parlors and pool halls. Perhaps you may consider some of those business ventures.
I am sure that the forum would be glad to help with some business names.
I have a fortune teller above a cafe I built for our club On30 layout.

Johnnie- I sure like your business district too!

Don't forget a possible Army Surplus Store? I don't think I have ever seen one on a layout?
Also, A going out of business sale with windows whitewashed/papered and big sale signs along with "For Rent", or "For Sale" signs.

TERRY - Pray that things level out for you and Marie. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Mikey - you are one busy boy. How did everything work out on the stuff that was flooded?

TOOT - Really like the photos you have been posting.

CHET, JUSTIN, JIM, WILLIE - You too!
(Hope I covered everyone?)

Thanks to all who have voiced on the P/U preferences. My mechanic put them in this order:
Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Ford, and NOT to look at a Dodge again.
Still awaiting to hear from the Insurance - called them - they said 2-3 days - that they had just picked up the truck at the storage.
It's late and I am bushed! Decor is down and boxed - tomorrow I'll reclaim the garage for the car.

27 with a couple of inches of snow overnight.

My sympathies to those with insurance problems. Luckily, my and my brother's wives have taken it upon themselves to deal with my mother's medical insurance. Those people really like to get down into the weeds; they're currently trying to blame a hematoma Mom suffered a couple of years ago on a small fender-bender she had 20 years ago. I just don't understand.

Anyway, we've got maybe a week to go before we'll have MIL's apartment cleared out. When that's done BIL, the executor, will divvy up her bank accounts among the siblings. No one is getting rich, but the wife's share will take care of our debts and pay for one more road trip. Thinking back on it, MIL had a pretty good run: 96 years old, left an inheritance for each of her children, slipped quietly away with all of her children and several grandchildren at her bedside.

And now for something completely different:

FB_IMG_1551037839546.jpg

27 with a couple of inches of snow overnight.

My sympathies to those with insurance problems. Luckily, my and my brother's wives have taken it upon themselves to deal with my mother's medical insurance. Those people really like to get down into the weeds; they're currently trying to blame a hematoma Mom suffered a couple of years ago on a small fender-bender she had 20 years ago. I just don't understand.

Anyway, we've got maybe a week to go before we'll have MIL's apartment cleared out. When that's done BIL, the executor, will divvy up her bank accounts among the siblings. No one is getting rich, but the wife's share will take care of our debts and pay for one more road trip. Thinking back on it, MIL had a pretty good run: 96 years old, left an inheritance for each of her children, slipped quietly away with all of her children and several grandchildren at her bedside.

And now for something completely different:

View attachment 43023
Or is it that no-one else would have either of them.

Toot - Are they getting any handle on those wildfires in Australia? Reports over here are something like 17 million acres burned, a number of people dead, lots of homes and other buildings destroyed, millions of wildlife critters dead. That is devastating!
At the moment, in the states of Victoria and New South Wales they're getting a few days respite with cooler weather and some showers allowing them to do some mitigation work, but the next wave of heat and strong winds are due on Thursday/Friday. They're concerned that the 2 large fires on each side of the state border will join into another Mega fire once that comes through. There's already recognition that the big ones won't get put out until there's lots of heavy rain, the perimeters are just too great. Even the showers have created problems with getting trucks in by turning the tracks through the forests slippery. It's going to be a battle that will continue for months yet. Our traditionally hottest, we are just getting into.

In my part of Queensland, it's been OK, there's fires but none anywhere near for awhile and we haven't had the fire generated thunderstorms which push the fire fronts way out past the actual fires..

Ray - Like the MRL photos as usual. The first one in Bozeman was taken right next to a local lumber yard. The old NP depot can be seen in the distance just to the left of the tank cars. Unfortunately it has been abandoned for years. The building is still in good shape although it could use a bit of a rehab. I doubt that it could be used for any commercial purpose like other old depots across the state due to its location.

Could always start another club, no need to go underground. I don't know the name of the one who has the FB page, must either live up that way or work there, might even go to your club in Livingston. I just got another RTR Athearn SD45, this one with the number 346, so, at last one with an 'in use' one. Older Logo, but have the decals for the new one, that will be a nervous job.

Good Morning All. 36° and clear again this morning. Had a pleasant visit with the dermatologist yesterday, he used a lot of big unintelligible words but the bottom line is that the spots that he removed last summer were all cleared up and no further problems existed. After coming home, I worked in the garden for a couple of hours getting part of it ready for early spring planting in about three weeks. I applied a pre-planting top dressing of compost, wood ashes, leaves and grass clippings; all to be dug in later. Loosens up my heavy clay soil while fertilizing later during the season. After model railroading, organic gardening is one of my favorite pastimes.

Let me have a tall stack of pancakes with a large side of bacon this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the grain elevator; Jerome, Sherrel, Justin, Patrick, Chet, Bob, Ken, Curt, Chad, Karl, Tom.
That's the largest of my seven grain elevators on the layout. An eighth one is planned for an unscenicked area on the upper level.

I eventually made it out to the train shed yesterday afternoon. I completed the first phase of landscaping on the base of the Majestic Hardware structure. Tall weeds will be added after the details are in place. Couldn't add them yesterday as the "wet glue" hadn't dried yet.
01-08-20 001.JPG

01-08-20 002.JPG

01-08-20 003.JPG

Note too that I did an initial weathering on the building.

Johnny - I'm never finished with structures on the layout. I'll look at some months later and see that I can make improvements or otherwise enhance them. Signs, light fixtures and figures are my primary additions.
Chet Compared to many real grain elevators around here, that one on the layout is actually very small. -
4b638e5a20d332080085ede131048023.jpg

Terry - From the tone of your post, it seems that the hospital wasn't really ready to release your wife yet. Most likely it is the best course of action though. Hopefully you or someone else can provide some PT to the new knee before that becomes an issue. Between Medicare and Blue Cross, we paid nothing at the physical therapy center for my wife's seven weeks of visits. That is if Marie is able.

OK, let's rock & roll. Today is Elvis Presley's birthday. He would have turned 85 today. Unfortunately he has left the building!
Looking forward to another wonderful day here today. Everybody have a great day wherever you are.

Morning all,

Currently 30* in Doo-Dah with high wind warnings and fire danger this afternoon into this evening.

Currently planning my next move on the layout. Looking at many of the pictures of your layouts, a lot of you have "flat" layouts, that is not having a huge hill or run up.

Otherwise not much changed. I feel like I get home late (4:45 pm) and by the time supper is made and done, dishes cleaned up it's time for bed. Sucks getting up a 4:00 am, you have to go to bed early.

Good morning everyone. 32 and clear, heading to lower 50s today. Still expecting snow Saturday, but no-one is sure how much - maybe nothing. We're prepared, though.

Tom, IBKen, TexasHobo, Chet, Patrick, Justin, Flip, Sherrel, Chad, Wheeler, BBob, Jim, Willie, Curt, Mikey - hope I didn't miss anyone - thanks for your likes and comments on my Merchant's Row updates.
Terry - I agree with the comments others have made - it sure sounds like someone (or multiple someones) are BS-ing you.
Justin - Hope you enjoyed your "snow day" yesterday. You able to get out today?
Mikey - You're right about the second story often housing smaller businesses. I haven't done much of that yet - mostly just using the second stories as living quarters for the owners of the businesses downstairs, as was often the case in early days. By the mid 1950's, which is what I model, some of that was changing, but growing up in a smaller town on Long Island I remember both cases, housing and businesses, being on the second floor.
Toot - Thanks for the update on the Australia fires. We get our share of wildfires here in the States, mostly out west, but nothing on the scale of what you've got where you are. Hope they get some relief soon, and hope they stay away from you.

Well, tomorrow's my birthday - 72, woo-hoo!!:D Here where we work they give you your birthday off with pay, so I'll take the day off and run a dozen errands around town. But I'll treat myself to coffee and a doughnut somewhere!!

The other day, Chet posted some aerial photos of his layout. Thought that would be neat, so here's one of Pine Valley, the bigger of the two towns on my layout:. Sorry it's incomplete - - I forgot to get any trains in the photo :(

AerialViewOfPineValleyJan2020.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Willie- Where is the location of the Majestic?
I didn't think west Texas got enough rain for anything to rust. If east Texas, it is not rusty enough with recent rains.
Sherrel- After moving things from against the wall, SERVPRO ran industrial fans for 5 days in the club room and managed to dry out the bottom of the sheet rock walls without any mold or mildew (so far). Three members moved things back against walls as others dis-assembled layouts upstairs.
We will start reassembling layouts next week to make repairs , modifications and additional construction on the On30 and HO layouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back