Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure,some states must go a bit overboard. When my wife went in for foot surgery I never had to sign anything but where to send the bill. Everything that went on was relayed to my wife and me until she was under anesthesia. We would have to sign paperwork if there was other family members involved (her sister for example) but didn't need a notary.

Tom: My wife has a "Durable, (Permanent), POA which superceeds her mothers decision making. Solves a multitude of issues.

Boris

Good Morning All. Clear and 38°, headed for a high again today in the 60's. Gotta love this current weather for January. Next ten days are looking good except for Saturday when they are predicting snow! Much of the day yesterday was spent socializing with another couple after church when we went to lunch at our favorite German resteraunt in Muenster TX. After returning home for a nap, I pruned a few more trees and went for my walk.

I'll take that "everything in the kitchen" omelet this morning Flo.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the cafe; Jerome, Sherrel, Bob, Jim, Greg, Alan, Curt, Phil, Tom.

Spent a glorious two hours just running trains in the train shed yesterday. Just didn't feel like doing any modeling. Managed to switch out some industries on the lower level that hadn't been switched in a while, Champion Packing, Whitewater Brewing and Magic Pan Bakery. Those were just some of many. I also changed the locations of about a dozen vehicles to provide a newer look on the layout. Back to modeling today, mainly adding more details and starting some scenery on that base for Majestic Hardware.
So back to the archives with a shot of some tankers passing through the town of Vernon.
03-24-16 010.001.JPG

Dave - I was never impressed with the Great Train Show. I stopped going about 15 years ago.
Greg - Pretty ambitious resolutions. My train resolutions are simple, run more trains and do more scenery. I think that both Flo and Francine got their start at Betty's Diner.
Alan - Yes, the Sweaty Betty's kit comes with both color awnings.
Terry - Well that's at least some good news. Continued prayers.

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning, America! It's 26 with clouds and a high of 39 today. So far this winter, the temps have been very mild. Good for those of us who hate the cold, not so much for the snowmobilers and ice fishermen! Did I say I don't have a snowmobile and I don't like having to drill a hole in the ice to fish?

Dave- Train shows can be a lot like a box of chocolates....................you don't know what you'll get til you go.

Greg- Those resolutions are good ones....................especially good if you stick to them!

Beady- Great picture!

Garry- A car a week will eventually get the hand grabs, etc., done.

Alan- Nice horse car! They were unique to SP, weren't they?

Jerome- You'll wonder how you ever got along without that tip cleaner!

Toot- Brass would be a little easier on the tips, but I don't think that it would be that big of a deal, given the cost of replaceable tips.

Terry- Sounds like some good news about your wife. Hopefully, a change in the right direction.

Willie- Send some of that warm weather our way! I see you have the hazmat placards on your tank cars. Looks good.

Later!

Good morning ....

Alan .... I like the SP horse car. I just place the dome car on the work table for grab iron installation. I need to research correct colors for interiors for work later on for all of the cars. Most interior photos of prototype interiors are in black and white.

B Bob .... About a car a week is about my pace so far. I can't sit and do all at once.

Curt ..... Sorry to hear about all of the work you must do.

WIllie .... Teh tank cars look good.

Everybody..... Have a nice day.

A "Good and Happy Epiphany"! (Today is Epiphany, also called Three Kings Day in some countries). Yesterday was the 12th day of Christmas (12 Drummers Drumming fame). So you may now all take down your Christmas decorations, if you have them, and put your tree out, if you had one. Christmas season ends today!

Nothing new to report on the train front. Been mostly catching up at the day job and working on stuff for the new house build this year. Permits will be applied for in about 2 months and lots to do.

Good morning y'all. Sunny and mild today, looking forward to another physical therapy session. Stop at HD on the way home.

Terry: Good news.

Willie: Like the Corn Syrup cars, with Vernon in the background.

Background building 1-4-2020.jpg

Another do over...any wonder why I don't get much done?...This was placed as a backdrop in the far corner of the layout. It has one exterior light. I had to bring the structure forward to accommodate running the wire, so...now, I need to include more windows, rood and details. There is enough space for two 5' concrete sidewalks and a 24' wide cobblestone street, most of which will be hidden by other structures. Meanwhile, the track wil be weathered and ballasted.

Boris

Good Morning Everyone....Sunny day here in Wisconsin.

New Year's resolutions that I made for model railroading will be easy for me to keep since I like projects that are simple, but add so much to a piece of rolling stock. For a time when I was working, we were required to prepare a "To Do" list on Friday's for the next week. The following Friday we crossed off the items that we accomplished that week and then added additional items to the list. Some items were complicated while others were very simple like...have a meeting with Facilities Employees. These lists kept us focused on the items we needed to do, but frequently overlooked. My simple list of the rolling stock upgrades will be easy to keep up, even if its only four or six cars a week.

I'll keep track of the finished pieces on the Excel spreadsheet I have with an inventory of rolling stock.

Terry:
Great to hear better news about your wife.

Alan: Great looking piece of equipment.

Burlington Bob:
Here in Southeast Wisconsin we have mostly open water and no snow cover and at the cabin the snow mobile trails are closed and ice fishing is limited. We have a Fish Club annual winter fun raiser in early February and the event's parking lot is on the ice as well as the tents. As of now the ice isn't thick enough to hold the event which sponsors the Club's fish stocking program for area lakes.

Willie:
Nice looking tank cars. Too bad about the forecasted snow for your area on Saturday.

Looking forward to going down to the layout after lunch. Tomorrow or Wednesday we'll go to a LHS that will place some of items on E Bay like perhaps 20 sections of PECO Code 100 flex-track and 20 plus N&J switch machines on RIX mounting brackets. If I get $1.50-2.00 a section for the track and $3.50 a piece for the switch machines I'll be happy. I need to dust of these items.

That's about all to report.

Greg

#########################

Good Morning from the far West!
Presently 42* - going to be 75* later on and the sky is sunny and clear.
Coffee for me, FLO, along with another of Willie's "clean the kitchen omelet" - lots of bacon on the side, please!
CHAD - Glad you posted the taking down of Christmas Decor. I started with the outside lights and stuff yesterday during the commercials and halftime of the Saints/Vikings game; I sure was crushed that the Saints failed to pull it off. After GB, they are my "go too" team. I had no favorite during the second game. Sorry - got sidetracked a little there ... Will work on the inside cleaning up and storing the 15 boxes of "stuff" that the Spousal Unit seems to be keeping forever - even though much is no longer on display.
I may even reach the point that I will be able to get the car back into the garage tonight. Both the trash bin and the recycle bin were crammed full this morning, and I even filled up the neighbors bins as his were only half full.
TERRY - At least it looks as if you have a little good news on Marie? We will take the cake now and hold out for the icing later on!
CURT - Are you referring to solar electric, or water?

I have solar electric that I put in around 6 years ago.
I have to pay the electric company $10 a month for use of their lines, however I have not had to pay for any wattage and have always received a check from the power company each year for the extra wattage that the system produces. With the latest increases - the peak cost of electric here is 42 cents a kilowatt and 21 cents during normal times.
I see no problem with the system hampering the saleability at all. If the buyer does not want the system then I would have to pay the solar company to have it removed. With the cost of power going up in CA, the buyer would be foolish NOT to keep it!

Happy New Years all,

It was a long week with the pinched nerve (I hope) and watching the grand kids. Didn't get much sleep since before Christmas. Finally back at work and playing catch up. No time for trains as the neck\shoulder are really bugging me. I do have an appointment on Thursday, so hopefully it will get better.

I'll reread everything when I get the chance.

Good morning, America! It's 26 with clouds and a high of 39 today. So far this winter, the temps have been very mild. Good for those of us who hate the cold, not so much for the snowmobilers and ice fishermen! Did I say I don't have a snowmobile and I don't like having to drill a hole in the ice to fish?

Dave- Train shows can be a lot like a box of chocolates....................you don't know what you'll get til you go.

Greg- Those resolutions are good ones....................especially good if you stick to them!

Beady- Great picture!

Garry- A car a week will eventually get the hand grabs, etc., done.

Alan- Nice horse car! They were unique to SP, weren't they?

Later!
Not sure Bob. I’ll have to do a little research. I was going after the car for a mail train

Good morning. #0 degrees to start the day with overcast skies. Phil - Cold at 41 degrees??? No sympathy from me. That's almost shorts weather up here. Grin.gif

Terry - Improvement for your wife does sound good. Hope she continues to improve.

Curt - What's left of your layout really hurts after all of the work you put into it. I am looking forward to see your new one though as I'm sure that you learned a lot over the years and probably have some items to add that you have seen.

Garry - I will have to agree with you when it comes to adding grab irons. Put a lot of them on over the years. Don't know if I would want to attempt it today.

Ray - I have seen a lot more coverage of the fires down there and it's hard to believe how bad it is and that they may continue for quite a while. Hope you are safe.

Tom - Nice photos on the work on the hoppers. Nice.

IBKen - Looking forward to see what you add next to the layout. Looking good now.

Alan - That baggage car is outstanding. I have heard many good reports on Rapido equipment. The only thing I own from them is n RDC which is an exceptionally nice running car. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Unfortunately Rapido does not make any locomotives decorated for any railroads that I connect to or an undecorated version.

Joe - The background structure is looking good. I was a bit apprehensive about using them on my layout, but now that they are in, I do like them.

Beady - That's an interesting photo from Germany. Like it.

One thing I enjoyed when traveling in Europe was riding on their trams. I like to get on YouTube and watch the "cab View" videos.

Sherrel - Have you narrowed down what king of truck you want. I am a Chevy guy but did sell my 2012 and kept my old '72 Chevy truck as it is easy to work on. Not a fan of any of the new trucks, but I have also heard good things about Toyota trucks. They're running all over in the middle east.

Willie - I do like your photos as usual, especially the BBQ joint. Nice. Glad that you have critters to keep the mosquito pupulation down at the pond.

Greg - Nice looking switcher. I do have a couple of bar stools down in the train room which is better than standing, but still with the leg in the sitting position my time is limited. The best way to get it comfortable is to lean back in the recliner with a small pillow under the knee.

Johnny - You had a post about 1/87 vehicles for the mid 50's. I am an avid collector of any vehicles 1957 and older and here are some of the Oxford Diecast vehicles I have collected over that past three or four years. I try not to duplicate any but will buy the same vehicle in a different color with the exception of '57 Chevys as I do have a Chevy dealership on the layout. Oxford like the Mini Metals seem to be improving with each new vehicle they bring out. Oxfords are reasonably prices and a little looking on the internet can get you some decent prices. I do have vehicles from other brands such as Neo, but these can get pricey but have excellent details. By the way, the back '40 Ford pickup on the right is from Motor Max, $3.99.

I did get down to the train room for a while over the weekend and took this photo while running trains. May attempt a trip down there again today.

thumbnail_20200105_151339.jpg

Later

A "Good and Happy Epiphany"! (Today is Epiphany, also called Three Kings Day in some countries). Yesterday was the 12th day of Christmas (12 Drummers Drumming fame). So you may now all take down your Christmas decorations, if you have them, and put your tree out, if you had one. Christmas season ends today!

Nothing new to report on the train front. Been mostly catching up at the day job and working on stuff for the new house build this year. Permits will be applied for in about 2 months and lots to do.
Today is also Sherlock Holmes' birthday. We know that because 12th Night is the only Shakespearean play Holmes quotes from more than once. I learned that as a member of the Baker Street Irregulars.

In other news:

FB_IMG_1552526333941.jpg

Good morning. #0 degrees to start the day with overcast skies. Phil - Cold at 41 degrees??? No sympathy from me. That's almost shorts weather up here. View attachment 42992

Terry - Improvement for your wife does sound good. Hope she continues to improve.

Curt - What's left of your layout really hurts after all of the work you put into it. I am looking forward to see your new one though as I'm sure that you learned a lot over the years and probably have some items to add that you have seen.

Garry - I will have to agree with you when it comes to adding grab irons. Put a lot of them on over the years. Don't know if I would want to attempt it today.

Ray - I have seen a lot more coverage of the fires down there and it's hard to believe how bad it is and that they may continue for quite a while. Hope you are safe.

Tom - Nice photos on the work on the hoppers. Nice.

IBKen - Looking forward to see what you add next to the layout. Looking good now.

Alan - That baggage car is outstanding. I have heard many good reports on Rapido equipment. The only thing I own from them is n RDC which is an exceptionally nice running car. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Unfortunately Rapido does not make any locomotives decorated for any railroads that I connect to or an undecorated version.

Joe - The background structure is looking good. I was a bit apprehensive about using them on my layout, but now that they are in, I do like them.

Beady - That's an interesting photo from Germany. Like it.

One thing I enjoyed when traveling in Europe was riding on their trams. I like to get on YouTube and watch the "cab View" videos.

Sherrel - Have you narrowed down what king of truck you want. I am a Chevy guy but did sell my 2012 and kept my old '72 Chevy truck as it is easy to work on. Not a fan of any of the new trucks, but I have also heard good things about Toyota trucks. They're running all over in the middle east.

Willie - I do like your photos as usual, especially the BBQ joint. Nice. Glad that you have critters to keep the mosquito pupulation down at the pond.

Greg - Nice looking switcher. I do have a couple of bar stools down in the train room which is better than standing, but still with the leg in the sitting position my time is limited. The best way to get it comfortable is to lean back in the recliner with a small pillow under the knee.

Johnny - You had a post about 1/87 vehicles for the mid 50's. I am an avid collector of any vehicles 1957 and older and here are some of the Oxford Diecast vehicles I have collected over that past three or four years. I try not to duplicate any but will buy the same vehicle in a different color with the exception of '57 Chevys as I do have a Chevy dealership on the layout. Oxford like the Mini Metals seem to be improving with each new vehicle they bring out. Oxfords are reasonably prices and a little looking on the internet can get you some decent prices. I do have vehicles from other brands such as Neo, but these can get pricey but have excellent details. By the way, the back '40 Ford pickup on the right is from Motor Max, $3.99.

I did get down to the train room for a while over the weekend and took this photo while running trains. May attempt a trip down there again today.

View attachment 42995

Later
How does one get into/out of that parking lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back