Lowering My Layout

Brakeman Hal

Hey...I'm thinking about lowering my 127-foot O-Scale 2-Rail Folded Dogbone layout which runs around 3 walls of my Game Room, so I can sit on the Sofa while watching and running my Train.

I'll be lowering it 9 inches, which is as low as I can go because of the speaker cabinets in the far corners of the room.
The bench height will be 34 inches. If I need any more viewing height, I can always block up the sofa legs a little...

Brakeman Hal
003.JPG
005 (10).JPG

Last edited:
I would raise the sofa, even if I needed a single step up to sit on it properly and to raise my feet once seated. The sofa can be lowered any time by removing the blocking under it, and the step can be repurposed. Adding height to the layout once more if it's alteration turns out to be a bad move....

I'm in Crandell's corner ... I too - think it's a bad move!
Raise the couch on a platform and see how that works out?

It's attached to the three walls by 2x4 rails lag-bolted to the wall studs of the room with the plywood sheets nailed to the rails.

I know I'll need help when lowering the layout, but I'll separate it into the 10 segments, as shown on the layout picture, leaving the tracks fastened to the plywood, but Dremel-sawing through them before I unscrew the splice plates underneath which join the segments.

The two large loop segments of the layout will be the most difficult to lower, using 2x4 legs C-clamped to the layout and lowering the section a little at a time, coordinating between the wall rails and the C-clamped outer legs.

All this will have to be carefully coordinated!

I know I'll need new 2-Rail O-Scale rail-joiners to re-attach the tracks, so I'll order them now!

Hal
I'm in Crandell's corner ... I too - think it's a bad move!
Raise the couch on a platform and see how that works out?

Nope! I've formulated the plan in my mind, and I'll go through with it, lowering each of 8 segments, one at a time.

I don't want to put the couch on 9 " risers under each leg!

Brakeman Hal

What about keeping a upholstered bar stool near controler and sit on that just for the train time..Why must you sit in the couch ? What about just standing up like most do ? OR, lower the dog bone onto or above the floor by say 6". Then you'd see it no matter where you're located....

No there too!

I already have a bar stool at my controller location.

I'm 83-1/2 now, with Arthritis in my lower back, and I can't even walk erect anymore. My greatest pleasure has now become SITTING DOWN, Sir!

Brakeman Hal

No there too!

I already have a bar stool at my controller location.

I'm 83-1/2 now, with Arthritis in my lower back, and I can't even walk erect anymore. My greatest pleasure has now become SITTING DOWN, Sir!

Brakeman Hal
At 81, I'm following close behind, especially with the walking/standing straight. When I first joined my club about 11 or so years ago, I was hardly off my feet, following my trains around, now I'm looking for one of the strategically placed padded stools at each corner of the layout.

I built my current layout at 32" going uphill to 36" do I could sit on a swivel chair and see the trains run. Is there a tool rental place near you, where you could rent four or more hyraulic jacks? After removing the lag bolts from the wall, you could jack the table sections UP enough to take the pressure off the legs. Then use a power saw to cut off the legs. Lower each jack a little at a time until the legs touch the floor. Strongly recommend you remove any rolling stock from the layout before attempting this! :p

I will NOT lower the layout!

After careful and sensible consideration, I will not lower the layout that took me many months to build in 2017.

I have a strong, rigid structure that is 44" high except for the high loop, which is is 46" high. I did not conform to NMRA standards in using screws for my benchwork. There is not one screw anywhere on the 127 feet of railroad! It was assembled with 2x4 lumber and uses 3/8" hex bolts, nuts and washers everywhere, with steel angles for joining the crossbeams and steel splice plates for joining the 10 roadbed segments. The runs that are close to the walls are supported by heavy angle braces lag-bolted to the wall studs.

I'm a tall man, at 6' 2", and felt that this was an ideal height for me, which it is while standing. At my operating position, my 30" bar stool is not high enough...I should have a stool or chair that seats me at least 36" above the floor.

Thankfully, I came to this conclusion before taking my Dremel rail-cutting tool to the joint between my first 2 segments!

I did remove one 2x4 leg and cut off 9", but I'll make a new leg, bolt it back on, then take all the tools off my pool table and back to the workshop!

I want to thank all those who gave me advice, and Merry Christmas to you all!

Brakeman Hal
002 (23).JPG

Last edited:
Yowzah, Bob!

This is the G-Scale train I used to run between my game room and garage through a portal in the wall. It was a single track 150-foot indoor layout.

I always liked the 2-6-0 Mogul locomotive.

Hal
085.JPG

Yes, that would also be an issue! The picture is an optical illusion; there is a space of 2 feet between the layout and the corner pocket.

Isn't Sherman Hill the Wyoming grade where Los Angeles streetcars were used to help UP 4014 Big Boy over the summit?:confused:

Brakeman Hal

Hal,

Have you thought about getting a drafting chair. They raise and lower to several heights. I bought one for my workbench that adjusts up to about 45" and lowered is the height of a regular desk chair. Just a thought.

1577296868495.png

Back