Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob Wynn - ‎Baltimore's Past and Present Memories
A crowd lines the seawall near the Pan American hangar in 1939 as the Yankee Clipper taxies to her moorings at Municipal Airport. (Robert F. KniescheBaltimore Sun).

Overseas passenger air service arrived in Baltimore in the 1930s at a piece of land where Colgate Creek met the Patapsco River.

Baltimore’s airport, known as Harbor Field, replaced a primitive landing strip at Logan Field in Dundalk. On Sept. 13, 1937, a Pan American Clipper met a British flying boat, the Cavalier, on test flight out of Bermuda. Pan American and British Imperial Airways seaplanes made the initial landings and takeoffs at Harbor Field.

Flyers could travel to New York and Bermuda from Baltimore. A Baltimore Sun reporter, on the inaugural Bermuda-Baltimore flight, played golf in Bermuda the same day as he played a round at Clifton Park in November, 1937. The flight lasted nearly 6 hours.

The seaplane carried 19 passengers and a crew of five. The airport, then being constructed on filled land – and was derided as a “mud hole” — did not formally open until October 1941, when an American Airlines craft, described as a sky sleeper, landed.

Harbor Field did not meet expectations and was soon replaced with the 1950 opening of Friendship International Airport, now Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. Harbor Field is now part of the state’s Dundalk Marine Terminal.
1572523982994.png

Good morning everyone. 30 and flurrying out there. The garbage can lid was iced over this morning as we left for work! Winter is letting us know she is lurking around the corner!

Tom, Flip, Patrick, Wheeler, Chad, Willie, Louis, Curt, and anyone I missed - Thanks for the likes and comments on my post from yesterday.
Tex - Nice funeral scene from your layout, and I like that B&M rotary plow!
Garry - Have a safe trip home, friend.

The craft fair is not going well for any of us exhibitors. Even counting the order I got from New York, I've made less than a hundred bucks so far. I may run a sale today during coffee break time. If I don't sell more items, I'll have to sell them online, or else I've got my Christmas shopping done early ;)

In the train room, I did some landscaping and scenicking in the north section. Will post that tomorrow. Also made some progress on the ranch house build on the modeling bench. Here's a couple of photos of it - this is the Walthers Cornerstone Ranch Tract House kit,

Walls up, getting ready to attach downspouts:
RanchHouseBuild1.jpgRanchHouseBuild2.jpg

And after attaching the downspouts:
RanchHouseBuild3.jpg

Next step: put the plastic "windows" on the window frames, and then glue window treatments in place.

Time for coffee. have a good day everyone.

Louis, trucks are what everybody is buying, so that’s what is most expensive. When I went looking for a replacement for my wife’s suv, we ended up with a late model Taurus, loaded, for less than half blue book—from a car dealership.
There is so much demand for, and money to be made from, pickup trucks, that Ford has completely stopped building cars. I remember buying a new F150 in the late 1980s for about the same price as a Tempo (anybody remember those?). Times have changed.

Willie- the fence does change the character of the barn scene. And your calico cat is adorable.
Well done!
I have been busy building wooden crates for flat car loads. It is amazing how much scale lumber disappears into building a crate.

Louis, trucks are what everybody is buying, so that’s what is most expensive. When I went looking for a replacement for my wife’s suv, we ended up with a late model Taurus, loaded, for less than half blue book—from a car dealership.
There is so much demand for, and money to be made from, pickup trucks, that Ford has completely stopped building cars. I remember buying a new F150 in the late 1980s for about the same price as a Tempo (anybody remember those?). Times have changed.
Terry, I had no idea! I've never bought a pickup. The closest thing I had was a 1977 El Camino and I only paid $400 for that!

My son was just telling me, yesterday; the dealer we buy from dropped the price of the new, top of the line Impala by $10,000. Now I better understand why.

For me personally, give me that top of the line Impala over any pickup, any day!

I'm with Chet, if I need a truck I'll rent one.

Last edited:
Bob Wynn - ‎Baltimore's Past and Present Memories
A crowd lines the seawall near the Pan American hangar in 1939 as the Yankee Clipper taxies to her moorings at Municipal Airport. (Robert F. KniescheBaltimore Sun).

Overseas passenger air service arrived in Baltimore in the 1930s at a piece of land where Colgate Creek met the Patapsco River.

Baltimore’s airport, known as Harbor Field, replaced a primitive landing strip at Logan Field in Dundalk. On Sept. 13, 1937, a Pan American Clipper met a British flying boat, the Cavalier, on test flight out of Bermuda. Pan American and British Imperial Airways seaplanes made the initial landings and takeoffs at Harbor Field.

Flyers could travel to New York and Bermuda from Baltimore. A Baltimore Sun reporter, on the inaugural Bermuda-Baltimore flight, played golf in Bermuda the same day as he played a round at Clifton Park in November, 1937. The flight lasted nearly 6 hours.

The seaplane carried 19 passengers and a crew of five. The airport, then being constructed on filled land – and was derided as a “mud hole” — did not formally open until October 1941, when an American Airlines craft, described as a sky sleeper, landed.

Harbor Field did not meet expectations and was soon replaced with the 1950 opening of Friendship International Airport, now Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. Harbor Field is now part of the state’s Dundalk Marine Terminal.
View attachment 41118

Seeing the flying boat, reminded me that there was a similar service between Auckland NZ and Sydney AU after WW2. Took about 7hrs to cross
"The ditch" (Tasman Sea). Landed (Seaded?) right in the harbor's of each City, close to their centers. Used Short (British) Solent seaplanes. Built to carry 44 passengers. Only operated from '49-'54. Thereafter PANAM was the main carrier, using the old RNZAF airbase NE of the City.

Last edited:
Terry, I had no idea! I've never bought a pickup. The closest thing I had was a 1977 El Camino and I only paid $400 for that!

My son was just telling me, yesterday; the dealer we buy from dropped the price of the new, top of the line Impala by $10,000. Now I better understand why.

For me personally, give me that top of the line Impala over any pickup, any day!

I'm with Chet, if I need a truck I'll rent one.
I’d rent a truck for the three weeks a year I really need one, but most rental companies forbid towing a trailer with one of their rentals. The ones that don’t charge exorbitant $$$ for the privilege. I could pay the difference between a car payment and truck payment for a year for what they charge.

Chad - Interesting explanation regarding the sonic booms. Makes sense. I am not sure that I had read that in any of the articles that I read, just that they were going with the shortened noses without explanation.

The noses in Japan keep getting longer. JR East is running a test train called Alfa-X that has two different end car designs to test. The article below says that at least one end has a 1m longer nose than the current E5, which already has a long nose (longer than the N700). You go through a lot of tunnels in Japan. This last trip we finally went on longer trips north of Tokyo and the onboard WiFi was not that useful due to all the tunnels we hit.

https://www.railjournal.com/passenger/high-speed/alfa-shinkansen-train-begins-tests/
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/development/theme/speed/speed03.html

Good morning!

Cold out. 18F at 7:30am. That is about as cold as it got. Better than yesterday's 11F. Should get upper 30s today. Forecast this morning even says maybe a high of 40F. Sunny all day, which is good as the house warms up with the open blinds. So a cold Halloween tonight but not as cold as the last couple days. My son will do door duty while I walk around with my daughter and her friend.

No train stuff to report. Busy week for the house planning. Got the first set of proto plans from the architect (in full plan scale) last Friday and have been marking up changes and trying to get estimates from some contractors for various bits like garage doors, solar, heat pump, and roof (want zinc but $$$$).

Good Morning All ... Spousal Unit and I are waiting to hear what the results are on the MRI of her knee. Last night she attended another "class" on what to expect for bariatric surgery. I have been trying to understand some of it and I am not so sure that it will not lead to other issues - she is wondering as well. It's like some of the medicines you see on TV; by the time they explain all the "possible" complications, you are afraid to sneeze!
She was very proud to tell me that over the last month she has lost 39.8 pounds. I am proud of her and would not dare to say anything that may jeopardize her determination nor my health, but I akin it to removing a bucket of sand off the beach.

We still are facing unheard of Santa Anna winds again today. Yesterday's evening news had 13 fires going north of the LA area with winds of 50 MPH or greater. Cajon Pass was littered with semi's blown over with hundreds stopped on the road being afraid to move. We had up to 30 MPH gusts here most of the day. Could sure use some rain - last measurable was on May 27th. It's 45* at this time - Record low this date is 43* - expected high later on of 79* with very low humidity (was 11% yesterday and starting today at 32%)

Sherrell- yes, that is a first. There have been a handful of 7 game WS where the home club only one once, but never were all 7 games were won by the road team.
Thanks for that Mike! I could sure use some of your knowledge along with that of Joe and Louis!

Up early, as I am accompanying the wife to her Infusion treatment.
Much to my surprise, the Nationals beat Houston,
Good wishes for your wife today, Joe! Yes, I was surprised as well - pretty good game anyway.

My latest desktop background
RAY - Excellent choice, that is a really nice one.

If your truck is in otherwise good shape find a service center that specializes in automotive electronics.
Like minds, Louis, The trouble only started after the new paint - should have notpain ted it -LOL.

Most of yesterday's time in the train shed was spent stringing that last wire in the barbed wire fence, painting it, drilling post holes and installing it.
Willie, you have created a masterpiece. I can't wait for the details to be added.

I had no idea these things were so expensive!
Louis - YES, a lot of money for something that I only drive not much more than 3500 miles a year - this year will not be that much - most of that is going to the doctors/hospital/tests.

Joe - "Pocahontas" isn't going to get many Wall Street votes or donations! I agree that she does understand the banking system, but is somewhat clueless regarding capitalism as a whole.
Your city scene is coming along nicely.
Willie: Your fence and barn look great. The resident barn cat is a nice touch.
"Pocahontas" who I refer to as Lizzie" in honor of another Lizzie" from Massachusetts, knows more about Capitalism than her critics. She also knows more about trade and tarrifs. Unfortunately, in the cut throat world of politics, she is lumped in with Bolshevik Bernie and his fellow travelers. I guess I find Lizzie refreshing, as she is rattling the moguls of Wall Street. Meanwhile, "El Supremo" is in full melt down, and we are again going to be left with a choice of poop or cow plops...:(
Boris

Originally posted by TEXAS HOBO - I moved it (sorta)

Quote: (Good Morning All. 45 degrees, wind gusts to 30, brrrr. I do like it better than 95 degrees and 85% humidity though.

I quit crying over the Astros. Still not sure I understand why Cole was not used, but I ain't the manager.

Thanks for all the likes on the photos. I like to take photo and then look at how I might improve a scene. I find that I see things in the photo I didn't see just looking at the layout. Maybe it's a "forest for the trees" thing.

I won't know where I'm going till I get there.

Modeling Boston & Maine in New England in the Fall) Quote

Well, Texas ... I don't know why he did not use Cole neither? I said at the end of six that Houston better bring in a fresher pitcher - pretty sure that he brought in the wrong one - LOL. I see it so ofter ... WHY do the managers wait until something bad happens before a change is made? I've seen them load the bases and walk a run home before a change?

Forgive me for "messing" with your post -- I wanted to see if I could move it, but guess that I cannot latch on to the whole thing including your avatar. Hope you are not sore at me?

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

Busy day here at the office and got a call that I need to take tomorrow off for family business. Seems parental units didn't realize that a certain 1st grader doesn't have school tomorrow, so grandpa to the rescue. I pick her up at their house and bring her to mine where her dad will pick her up after work (divorce\shared custody situation). They'll take the baby to daycare like normal and I'll meet her and stepdad at the Drs. office after she gets her flu shot.

Hopefully a quieter night tonight. The wife has been working a lot of overtime where she works, so lately, I've been making supper when I get home and cleaning up afterward and keeping up with laundry as well as anything else around the house that needs doing. While she hates the longer hours (due to people quitting and not being able to fill the positions), she keeps telling herself that Christmas is coming and I'm getting it paid for as I go. We've been paying cash for everything so far.

As far as Pickup prices go, I bought my first C10 Chevrolet truck in 1979 brand new. I paid $4800 for it. It was the long bed fleet side with straight 6, 4 speed on the floor, heavy duty everything with positrac rear end, gauges and AM radio. While not completely devoid of options, it was still pretty plain. Would out pull a lot of v8's due to the excessive low gear. The base model Chevy now is nearly $30,000 (although A/C and automatic transmission are now standard equipment).

Trucks hold their value very well , especially in my part of the country. If I were to find a 1979 close to what I had, in running condition, I'd have to pay more than the new price to get it.

Afternoon All,

Visited with Phil and Jon today, and we had a good time. After getting home I did a couple of chores. I brought Phil's brass steamer home and I'll try to fix it next week. Tomorrow is the monthly grocery odyssey (multiple stores:confused:), and Saturday I think I'm supposed to take the grandkids to a BB gun turkey shoot in Ocoee. The feel like temp is 95 currently

Joe- That will be a nice scene when complete. I use Wild West Model Builders corrugated roofing (a heavy paper). www.wildwestmodels.com

Tex- Nice looking plow.

Johnny- Looking good so far.

Louis- More great historical photos.

Willie- The fence looks great.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back