Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris, it's not only up to Max, Greinke will have a say in this too.

Ok, that's it, the anthem is done, all that is remains is Play Ball!

That reminds me; when my wife and I were dating she came to my apartment for dinner and the Orioles were about to play. When the anthem was about to being I told her "we have to stand for the national anthem", she quickly got to her feet with her hand over her heart facing the TV. Even when she was just visiting the United States she was more than happy to salute our great nation and our flag.

A couple of weeks ago, we were discussing the Texas Central high speed rail project. I posted that the FRA had already approved their RPA (Rule of Particular Applicability). Here is a link to a story from early September regarding that approval.
Texas Central RPA approval
If I remember correctly, Chad has posted some information regarding the Shinkansen trains.

Thanks, that was an interesting read.

Here is a link on the N700 series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N700_Series_Shinkansen

The link says that a proposed N700I / N700i version is being considered by the Texas project but the RPA approval link @santafewillie posted listed the N700S (which is currently testing in Japan but not yet in revenue service). I would guess the "N700I" would be updated with N700S technology. It would be interesting to see what sort of ATC systems the Texas Central system is wanting to use -- are they adopting the Japanese one or wanting their Shinkansens with a different system installed? (Which is what Taiwan did when they took the earlier 700 series Shinkansen and adopted a version for their own use using some European ATC/safety system and a redesigned nose). Also, I doubt Texas has all the tunnels that Japan does, so the aerodynamics of the cab car ends will probably be different for Texas (again, like in Taiwan which shortened the nose due to larger tunnels and fewer). The Japanese ones have long noses to avoid or change the sonic booms that happen coming out of tunnels (tunnels in Japan have relatively narrow outlets which causes sonic boom issues, mitigated by enlongating the nose so all the air does not get pushed out at once.

That must be some sort of a first - that neither BB team won a home game the entire World Series!

Time to get back to the trains ...
Here's a Frisco E-8 painted in the el-cheapo style near the end of passenger service in the mid 60's.

Frisco 2012 - 1967.jpg

That must be some sort of a first - that neither BB team won a home game the entire World Series!

Time to get back to the trains ...
Here's a Frisco E-8 painted in the el-cheapo style near the end of passenger service in the mid 60's.

View attachment 41106
Sherrell- yes, that is a first. There have been a handful of 7 game WS where the home club only one once, but never were all 7 games were won by the road team. I think there’s only been a handful of Fall Classics when the home team has won every game. 1987 & 91 Twins(they just missed doing it in 65, but Mr Sandro Braun decides otherwise in Game 7) & the 2001 Snakes(beat Mo Rivera in Game 7 walkoff). May be some others in the first half of the 20th Century, but my cranial organ does not recall quite that far back into the WBM.

Good morning Everybody!
1572516288682.png

It's 63 with light rain falling in southeast Baltimore. If the forecast is correct the trick-or-treaters should get a dry window to collect candy. I hope so, I don't want to sit on my front steps handing out candy in the rain.

What a great World Series, maybe now I can get back on some kind of normal sleep schedule. After the Ravens host the Patriots on Sunday Night Football that is. Night games are not good for my sleep schedule. I should be grateful the clocks move back this weekend, maybe that will help.

Have a great day Everybody!

Too slow this morning! As always Bruette is in control with a string of great photos! 24 degrees which is 20 degrees below normal for where I live; but, the 10 day forecast shows little in the way of precip. coming, which is great, as we need to dry out. Flo, I'll have the works this morning and keep the coffee coming, black of course. Best wishes to all, Bye!l

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, y'all. Happy Reformation day! Warm and wet again today. Wonder if we will get trick or treaters later, considering the weather

Up early, as I am accompanying the wife to her Infusion treatment.

Much to my surprise, the Nationals beat Houston, for their first World" Championship. Once in a while, a team I like actually does well. All seven games were road wins, again, that has to be rare.

Sherrel, Ray and Louis: Nice photos to start the day!

Have a pleasant day!

Boris

Good Morning All. Happy Halloween. 28° and clear. First "official" freeze of the season. I guess that I don't understand global warming as this freeze (and another one tonight) comes three weeks before our average first freeze date of 11/20! Our average low for today is 52°, so we're 24° below normal. Won't need the ice pack in the cooler when I go on the grocery/beer trek this morning.

Good morning Flo. This morning I feel like having the all meat special, bacon, sausage and ham, with a toasted English Muffin on the side. Oh! You have some Taylor Ham as well, OK pile it on.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress pictures; Chad, Patrick, Jerome, Joe, Phil, Curt, Johnny, Tom.

Most of yesterday's time in the train shed was spent stringing that last wire in the barbed wire fence, painting it, drilling post holes and installing it.
10-31-19 004.JPG

Today I will fine-tune the fence (add sags down), add the gate and start adding weeds, trees, brush and junk both, inside and outside the barn.
The barn got an inhabitant yesterday, Callie the calico cat.
10-31-19 003.JPG

While the barn and enclosure provide most of her meals, the folks next door at the Dew Duck 'N cafe do leave her a saucer full of milk every night.

Johnny - Thanks for the photo of the crafts. Neat other hobby.
Joe - "Pocahontas" isn't going to get many Wall Street votes or donations! I agree that she does understand the banking system, but is somewhat clueless regarding capitalism as a whole.
Your city scene is coming along nicely.
Garry - If you get a chance to read this, have a safe trip home.
Chad - Interesting explanation regarding the sonic booms. Makes sense. I am not sure that I had read that in any of the articles that I read, just that they were going with the shortened noses without explanation.

Everybody have a great day.

Sherrel, a quick check of Carmax.com shows about half a dozen pickups for just under $15,000 and dozens more under $20,000. I had no idea these things were so expensive!

There must be many other dealers near you as well.

If your truck is in otherwise good shape find a service center that specializes in automotive electronics.

God be with you my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back