Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning. 37 degrees and overcast. May get up into the mid 40's by late afternoon. Not looking forward to and snow as the trees haven't shed their leaves yet. Hope the forecast was as good as it was last year because they bombed out.

Louis - I really enjoy the vintage photos you have been posting. Keep it up. Those D&&H Alcos could probably use some time in the shop.

Clint - Saw this show when it aired . Enjoyed it a lot. Good post.

Willie
- That is quite the diorama. I enjoyed visiting the many Civil War battlefield and memorials when I was living on the eastern part of the country.

Sherrel - Good luck with changing your TV service over in the motor home.

Nasty looking day outside. Think it would be a good day to visit the train room. I did get to visit for a while and did a bit of switching. Here's Buckshot picking up an empty tank car from Tschache Oil.

thumbnail_20190927_111229.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Did a bunch of stuff around the house today. Just can't seem to get motivated to do anything else.

Johnny- That modification will give you more flexibility.

Louis- Interesting photo of the house barge.

Willie- It's always good to get home after vacation. Interesting diorama.

Chet- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

The weather sure has turned nasty. The temp is down to 37 and there have been scattered showers. Looking at the radar, there is snow in the northern part of the state and rain moving up from the south.

I did get to spend some time down in the train room doing some switching. The Tschashe oil tank car has been set out on the passing siding and Buckshot has gone to pick up a Santa Fe box car at the factory.

thumbnail_20190928_120307.jpg

thumbnail_20190928_120351.jpg

thumbnail_20190928_120642.jpg

The box car has been set out on the passing siding and Buckshot heads to the lumber yard to pick up an empty GC&W box car.

thumbnail_20190928_120928.jpg

It is brought out to the main line and has to be spotted behind the tank car.

thumbnail_20190928_121027.jpg

thumbnail_20190928_121150.jpg

thumbnail_20190928_121257.jpg

After spotting the GC&W box car behind the tanker, the switcher runs around again and takes the freight house siding to clear the track for the local train.

thumbnail_20190928_121422.jpg

Can't post all of the photos in a single post as 10 photos are the limit.

TO BE CONTINUED

Later

Howdy .

Louis ...... I like the historic photos especially the intermodal picture.

Chet .... Nice photos of the little GE at work. Your weathered freight cars look great too.

Willie... I like the museum photos.

Everybody ..... Have a nice night.

Last edited:
Evening everyone.Busy week teaching, so I will be catching up. 50 and rain here on my last night in SLC. Went up to Promontory to see the golden spike site and then to Ogden Union Station, mostly for the railroad museum. Flo, just a snack tonight, how about the cheesecake with raspberries. Had a late lunch at the In N Out burger.

Heres a little to wet your appetites. Will try to get more when I get back to my confuser at home. And keep in mind these are all from my cellular talker. It was a pretty awesome day. It's nice when the Mommadant grants the Chief some liberty every once in awhile....

20190928_114232.jpg
20190928_114226.jpg

20190928_114611.jpg

WOW! So many great photos, thank you Everybody!

Willie, I love that Civil War Diorama!

Chet, you are right, those D&H locomotives sure do need some attention! They look more like steam locomotives.

Good morning Everybody!

It's 72 with 95% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

Have a great day Everybody!

Chet- I really did like your photo of the Chevy dealer. All the '57 Chevy wagons bring back memories and sets your era very well.

The weather continues to be hot and dry. Birmingham's official temp was 95 degrees, beating the old record of 94 degrees.
Watched the Alabama/Old Miss game at 2:30 pm and the temp was 119 degrees at the 50 yard line. With the lop-sided score, many fans left to keep from being grilled in the stands.
Time for me to get some coffee and a bagel before getting ready for church.

Good Morning All. 76° and partly cloudy. Still getting into the low 90's for our daily high. Decided to wait until today to make the grocery/beer run, rather than deal with the Saturday morning crowds. Last night's supper was New Orleans style BBQ shrimp that I made from shrimp that I brought back from the Gulf Coast. It's a recipe that my mother gave me with butter, garlic, lemon juice, beer, Frank's Hot Sauce, Worcestershire, creole seasoning, pepper and more butter. Some french bread and frozen broccoli (cooked of course) from the garden topped it all off.
Make it an apple fritter and OJ this morning Francine, I need a sugar fix to get going.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the most recent set of museum pictures; Clint, Chet, Jerome, Louis, Sherrel, Curt, Ray, Garry, Phil, Lee.

I made it out to the train shed yesterday for a little switching action. Engineers and other crew members were getting lazy from the eight day layoff. I also did a bit of scenery next to the Oakleaf storage facility where the Dairy Queen is slated to go, concrete parking area and some surrounding vegetation. That's going to be a temporary stopping point until I either find some more structures that will fit next to it, or decide that something else might be appropriate for the rest of that area. Still to go is the industrial area on the other side of the tracks.

Louis - That Civil War diorama needs to be seen in person, pictures alone cannot do it justice. Over 2000 hand painted figures, tents, horses, cannons etc; someone spent a lot of time on it. Scattered around on the fascia are current pictures of some of the modeled area.
Chet - Nice switching sequence you posted. I need to do something like that sometime.

Let's get back to some more museum pictures. At the Vicksburg museum, they also have an HO layout that is set up for continuous running. It doesn't depict anything in particular.
09-27-19 trip 167.JPG

09-27-19 trip 169.JPG

09-27-19 trip 195.JPG

Last time we were there, those shelves on the wall were filled with with various pieces of rolling stock.

There were a number of models of some houses in Vicksburg, many are still standing in their historic district.
09-27-19 trip 191.JPG

09-27-19 trip 176.JPG

There were some more, but not all of my pictures came out good.
Here are a few more boat models.
09-27-19 trip 174.JPG

09-27-19 trip 175.JPG

09-27-19 trip 177.JPG

That's it for now guys. Gotta go.
Everybody have a great day.

Morning all. It's trying to be fall here. 58 degrees with rain. Rain most of the week actually. Yuck! On the bright side I went to the Operating session at the club last night. Ran one of my steamers on a local switching job. Shown here in the hole waiting for a passenger train to get out of the way. Good times!
IMG_2460.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back