Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Hinsdale‎ - Railroad Images of Bygone Days
On a very overcast and windy April, 1974 day, two Western Maryland units and a Norfolk & Western Geep bring a westbound merchandise train across Plank Road and into Milan MI. The WM power is a sure sign that the train, likely AJ-12, will turn south on the Ann Arbor just ahead at Milan Tower, to head toward Toledo and thence east on N&W's ex W&LE route toward Pittsburgh. For many years, the "Alphabet Route," so named for the long string of railroad initials involved in the routing, provided an effective competitive freight service between New England and the Great Lakes region, via Maybrook NY, Allentown PA, Hagerstown MD, Pittsburgh PA and Toledo. Before mergers steadily reduced the number of carriers participating in the route, a typical box car from Massachusetts to Detroit could be routed: B&M-NYNH&H-L&HR-RDG-WM-P&WV-W&LE-AA-WAB, See what I mean?!! April, 1974 photo by Mark Hinsdale
1569581985349.png

Good Morning All from West Monroe LA, where it's 70° and clear. Best day of the trip today, will be home a bit after noon. My bed, my pillow, the train shed! It's been a good time this last week, but I am ready for home. Still have lots of pictures to post, but I prefer to sort them from my PC instead of this laptop.
See you all later.

Good morning all - 66 and cloudy out there.

Hung out with son yesterday after work. Also went to the mall (which I hate) to look for a gift for MOH's birthday coming up in 2 weeks. Bought two items on sale (which saves some money for model railroad stuff ;) )

CambriaArea, Willie, Markey, Roofintrash, Louis, Sherrel, Patrick, CCoffran, Wheeler, Toot, and anyone I might have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on the Santa and Trains jigsaw puzzle photo I posted yesterday.
Willie - Nice photos from the Foley's museum. My son has a Lionel set in storage, as well as those Lionel pieces my BIL got me last year. Son will hae a good-sized layout whenever he gets around to putting it together.
Toot - Yeah, I guess pigging out on cookies and milk once a year won't kill you - probably less dangerous than slipping off a roof after stepping in raindeer poop!!

Made some progress on that new section of the layout, the lumber company area. Pulled up part of the existing spur, glued down the new spur roadbed, and inserted the turnout for the two spurs. Power lines to the rails are there, just need to solder them. I'll probably put in a ground throw to control the spurs. This weekend I'll spike down the tracks and add some landscaping. Also trim the roadbed for the new spur. Also, sick and tired of looking at that stupid mountain background I painted a year ago - it's a placeholder anyway - just need to put up some plain blue sky, I guess.

Monday's "before" and today's "after" for comparison:

Lumber1.jpg
LumberCo_9_27_19.jpg

Will also be in the wood shop this weekend, trying to finish the crafts for the upcoming craft show.

Time for coffee!! Have a good day everyone.

Willie - Sorry - - forgot to say, have a great last leg of your trip home today. West Monroe to your house north of Dallas is not a long run, but safe travels anyway. Your trains will be ready for a go!!

Mike, I see your point as to where the Super Bowl should be held, but like all professional sports, money is the deciding factor. I think it would be a good idea to have the team with the best regular season record host the Super Bowl, it would keep everybody playing their best right to the end.

Cold weather baseball makes things interesting. The bats talk back when you don't make good contact.

Morning all,

Supposed to storm overnight and into tomorrow. We'll see. Currently sunny and 72 going for a high of 91.

I have to mow when I get home later. Tonight is the local HS homecoming, so the grand kids get out early. Good thing is their dad get home early to pick them up from school, so I may have some train time this afternoon (or nap time).

Good morning ...

Johnny ..... Nice work on you layout.

Louis .... House boats here look different than the one in your photo. GG1's are great even if wearing ugly paint.

WIllie ....... Thanks for sharing photos of the museum layout. Amazing.

Everybody ........ Have a great day !

Good morning. 45 degrees with clear skies to start the day. We may get up into the mid 50's. There is a winter storm watch out from Saturday morning until Sunday afternoon. Guess I won't be heading over the pass to Livingston. Was hoping to run the F-7 ABA consist to see what they can handle on the grades.

Willie
- That is quite the Lionel layout they have at the museum. I have traveled along the gulf coast on out way to and from the Florida Keys, but we never stopped. Have a safe trip home.

Louis - The photos from the Hungarian State Railways are really interesting. I did manage to visit some European rail museums during my travels when I was abroad in the Navy as well as ride on trains. The GG-1's you posted photos of sure look like they could use a bath.

Beady
- I can remember the record player in the Chrysler Corp cars. My uncle had one in his '57 DeSoto. I had a 8 track player in my '69 Chevelle. Talking about Gitmo, I enjoyed the fishing down there. Spent a month there after getting out of the yards in Charleston after an overhaul.

Johnny -
Good photos. Moving right along.

Never got into the train room yesterday. Got busy putting some of my cars away for the winter. The ones that will stay covered for the einter got put up on jack stands and covered and ones that I might drive in the winter we moved to where they will be easy yo access. Hopiong to get down to the train room later today.

Before I post, here's a photo of the train I was hauling around the last time I ran at the club. It's hard to get a photo of an entire train.

thumbnail_20190919_153841.jpg

Later

Late Morning To You All ....Temps have about run the gauntlet this week from 96* high on Monday to 76* high yesterday.
This is the second day of overcast - but not a drop of rain has been seen!
I'm depressed today - Pack lost last evening - should get up and do something constructive. Wife is driving me crazy with her new eating habits! At least she is determined to make it work this time - I really hope so - not only for her looks, but health as well! I try to be supportive even when she yells at me!
We switched from DirectTV to Spectrum. Before we had Frontier for internet, now everything is Spectrum. Still having to "relearn" where my favorite channels are, but system seems to be working very nice.
Of course - when we called Direct to stop service they immediately offered a 75% reduction (one year only) to try to coax us to stay. Only bad thing is that now I will have to figure out what to do about the RV as the TV was Direct - hmm - I wonder if I will have to buy another receiver to get Dish for it. Dish has an "ON/Off" plan that I will check into.
Life is getting too complicated, or my mind is getting weak?

Morning fellas. Flo, May I please have the Polish sausage skillet with American fries & kraut & a black cuppa Joe. Quiet day around the house. Hoping to get some time in the train room today.

Good Afternoon All. 92° and clear back at home. Got in around 1:00 CDT, partly emptied the car, ate lunch, took a nap and said a big hello to all of the little people in the train shed. I'm headed back out there in a few minutes. Received notification that ScaleTrains had shipped two Dash9-44CW's that are supposed to arrive today, looking forward to that.
Meanwhile here's a few pictures from the Vicksburg MS Historical Museum that we visited yesterday.
09-27-19 trip 196.JPG

First up is their O scale Lionel layout, sure to be a hit with Louis.

09-27-19 trip 178.JPG

09-27-19 trip 179.JPG

09-27-19 trip 180.JPG

I was a bit disappointed in yesterday's visit. Nothing had been done to improve the layouts since I first visited two or three years ago. As a matter of fact, numerous freight cars that had previously been on the shelves on the walls over the layouts were gone. They also don't really reflect the history of Vicksburg, they're simply just a collection of the museum administrator's excess equipment, which he admitted to on my previous visit. Still interesting to view though.
I'll get back to trains in another post, in the meantime, here are some ship models that were on display. Sorry that I cannot tell which is which, as I left my notes back at the hotel.:mad:
09-27-19 trip 165.JPG

09-27-19 trip 166.JPG

09-27-19 trip 173.JPG

There was a whole room full of boats named S.S.Mississippi.
09-27-19 trip 192.JPG

Lot's more to come as soon as I figure out which ones I already posted from the other two museums (and more from here). I'll leave with another couple of beach shots.
09-27-19 trip 161.001.JPG

And one especially for Beady.
09-27-19 trip 152.002.JPG

Later all.

Good Afternoon All. 92° and clear back at home. Got in around 1:00 CDT, partly emptied the car, ate lunch, took a nap and said a big hello to all of the little people in the train shed. I'm headed back out there in a few minutes. Received notification that ScaleTrains had shipped two Dash9-44CW's that are supposed to arrive today, looking forward to that.
Meanwhile here's a few pictures from the Vicksburg MS Historical Museum that we visited yesterday.
View attachment 39835
First up is their O scale Lionel layout, sure to be a hit with Louis.

View attachment 39836

View attachment 39837

View attachment 39838

I was a bit disappointed in yesterday's visit. Nothing had been done to improve the layouts since I first visited two or three years ago. As a matter of fact, numerous freight cars that had previously been on the shelves on the walls over the layouts were gone. They also don't really reflect the history of Vicksburg, they're simply just a collection of the museum administrator's excess equipment, which he admitted to on my previous visit. Still interesting to view though.
I'll get back to trains in another post, in the meantime, here are some ship models that were on display. Sorry that I cannot tell which is which, as I left my notes back at the hotel.:mad:
View attachment 39839
View attachment 39840

View attachment 39841
There was a whole room full of boats named S.S.Mississippi.
View attachment 39842
Lot's more to come as soon as I figure out which ones I already posted from the other two museums (and more from here). I'll leave with another couple of beach shots.
View attachment 39843
And one especially for Beady.
View attachment 39845

Later all.
Bless your little pea-pickin' heart. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back