Scratch-building a Carvel ice cream stand

Raincoat2

Everyone - I'm looking for some suggestions. On my layout I incorporate memories from my childhood growing up out on Long Island, NY in the 1950s. One of the businesses there was a Carvel ice cream stand. Don't know how many of you remember those. Anyway, I've looked for a model kit but there doesn't seem to be one. I did see a scratch-built one on eBay but it sold some time ago. So, I'm thinking of scratch-building one. Any of you tried that? Can you offer any suggestions? Could an existing kit (Dairy Queen or something else) serve as a skeleton to modify and turn into a Carvel stand? Any suggestions and tips welcome.

I don't recall Carvel but almost any older walk up drive in could be kit-bashed.

I looked them up...Almost like an Andy's custard place.

Hey, Patrick - you must be from the midwest. We have Andy's Frozen Custard here in Springfield, MO - most amazing dessert I've ever tasted. Yeah, you're right, the size of the building, glass front, walk-up windows to order at - all pretty similar. I'll try using Andy's as a model for a scratch-build.

Hey, Patrick - you must be from the midwest. We have Andy's Frozen Custard here in Springfield, MO - most amazing dessert I've ever tasted. Yeah, you're right, the size of the building, glass front, walk-up windows to order at - all pretty similar. I'll try using Andy's as a model for a scratch-build.

I live near Wichita and actually lived in Springfield about 7 years ago. I owned a house there for about 120 days. Long story short, company here closed my position and offered to me there (along with several others from around the country). 6 months later, they decided everyone they brought in were extra and laid us all off. I moved back to the Wichita area. I work in IT and at the time there were basically 3 large places for IT (Cox Medical, O'Reilley's and Bass Pro). They weren't hiring so I went back to an area I at least knew the area and what they are looking for.

I haven't been back to the area since I left, not even to visit Branson. Andy's now has several locations now in Wichita (Doo-Dah), but I've never seen them advertise like they did in Springfield.

I assume you mean this one:

http://www.bbemuseum.com/museum/images/carvel.jpg

Walther's has a Mcdonald's kit that might be a good starting point:

https://www.walthers.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=mcdonalds

What scale are you working in? The O scale Dairy King looks like a good start:

https://www.walthers.com/dairy-king...d-14-1-2-x-12-x-7-1-2-quot-36-8-x-30-5-x-19cm

Ian - Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention I work in HO scale, so the Dairy King wouldn't work as a starting point. The McDonalds could work, but I'd have to cut off the arches :D

I live near Wichita and actually lived in Springfield about 7 years ago. I owned a house there for about 120 days. Long story short, company here closed my position and offered to me there (along with several others from around the country). 6 months later, they decided everyone they brought in were extra and laid us all off. I moved back to the Wichita area. I work in IT and at the time there were basically 3 large places for IT (Cox Medical, O'Reilley's and Bass Pro). They weren't hiring so I went back to an area I at least knew the area and what they are looking for.

I haven't been back to the area since I left, not even to visit Branson. Andy's now has several locations now in Wichita (Doo-Dah), but I've never seen them advertise like they did in Springfield.

Patrick - Interesting history. Glad you're in a place you like and can work. We've been here in Springfield since 2007. I'm approaching retirement and model rr-ing is one thing that will keep me busy once i do pull the trigger and retire completely. That and woodworking.

That listing is for an O scale which I find are not as rare. I found mine in a box of Plasticville I purchased at a train show without even realizing it was in there. I was looking for years and then one followed me home.

Gary B - Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes out for an HO scale Frosty Bar. I'll be at a train show this Saturday - never know, I might find one there.

Gary B - Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes out for an HO scale Frosty Bar. I'll be at a train show this Saturday - never know, I might find one there.

Bachmann also made a 'Hamburger Stand' in HO, back in the 1970's that you might also be able to use as a starting point for a Carvel. I remember there was one near my parents house, and it had a sloped roof, with glass on 3 sides, maybe made of cinderblock, with some concrete on top. Might not be too hard to scratchbuild, if you can find some photos.

Here's a link to the 'Hamburger Stand/Drive In'.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMANN-H...491016&hash=item56c6afae64:g:8xMAAOSw78hdGT0E

In the early 70's, Life Like made an HO scale McDonalds, but they were forced by McDonalds to end production shortly after it started. The McDonalds kit is rare and expensive now, but the original molds were altered to make an ice cream stand. The Freezee Ice Cream kit was available from LifeLike for decades, and should be relatively inexpensive if you can find one on e-bay or elsewhere. Its not designed for inside dining. The rectangular glass vestibule in the front is for the customers to come in to the order and pickup windows inside.
1567894349392.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Bachmann also made a 'Hamburger Stand' in HO, back in the 1970's that you might also be able to use as a starting point for a Carvel. I remember there was one near my parents house, and it had a sloped roof, with glass on 3 sides, maybe made of cinderblock, with some concrete on top. Might not be too hard to scratchbuild, if you can find some photos.

Here's a link to the 'Hamburger Stand/Drive In'.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMANN-H...491016&hash=item56c6afae64:g:8xMAAOSw78hdGT0E

Looks like the Bachmann Plasticville HO scale Hamburger drive in is still available and shows up on Bachmann's website.
https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_362_364&products_id=2822

Back