Looking for steam locos that smoke

Jjlinkster

I'm looking to purchase new, HO steam locos that are DCC equipped AND generate smoke. I think only MTH and Broadway Limited meet this requirement. I've purchased 2 brand new in-the-box locos from MTH within the past month and had problems with both of them out of the box. They both made some noises but on both locos all of the lights did not work properly and neither would even move despite the fact that I have the MTH DCS controller system. I do have a MTH diesel that works just fine. At this point I'm DONE with MTH steam locos. Does anyone have any good experience with Broadway Limited steam locos and their smoke generation?

My Athearn Genesis Big Boy has the capability to have a smoke unit added. I don't smoke, and neither do my loco's, so I can't comment on it any more than that.

I'm looking to purchase new, HO steam locos that are DCC equipped AND generate smoke. I think only MTH and Broadway Limited meet this requirement. I've purchased 2 brand new in-the-box locos from MTH within the past month and had problems with both of them out of the box. They both made some noises but on both locos all of the lights did not work properly and neither would even move despite the fact that I have the MTH DCS controller system. I do have a MTH diesel that works just fine. At this point I'm DONE with MTH steam locos. Does anyone have any good experience with Broadway Limited steam locos and their smoke generation?

I have two MTH steam and will never buy another. I found the problem is the wireless draw bar. Its basically crap. If you hard-wire or get an actual connector to replace the wireless draw bar the MTH Steam units run great. I am sold on BLI. Some people report problems with them but I have 10 or 11 of their P3 Steam units and have never had a single issue with them. I have installed current keepers in them but other than that they are completely stock with minor tweaks to CVs.

i know there are some older life like steamers that smoke, but they aren't DCC out of the box though .. i -think- it's easier to add DCC rather than adding smoke ... they are pretty cheap, i have a matching set of two someplace ...my opinion only, :)

Bachman does make a few that smoke and are dcc equipped. You would need to read carefully to make sure you get both.

I have mostly all BLI. I have two MTH Loco's ( K-4 and NY Empire Express) and it takes a lot of work to keep them on the rails. Just replaced my traction tires on the Empire Express last night for the 3rd time. Never have replaced the BLI's yet and I run them the most. BLI Big Boy is just awesome.

Moar Steam! Replaced the Paragon 3 decoder in my BLI with a TSU 2200. Still working on CVs and sounds but there is smoke in this video thats a little better than the previous vid I put up. :) after this video while finalizing the install I cleaned up the inside of the loco and removed the smoke unit. Its just to messy to make practical. Smokem if you got em but be prepared to take them apart every 3 months to clean them out.

I tried smoking locomotives. I could never get 'em to stay wrapped up in those little papers.
That's like the strange signs they have at checkouts, especially in the smaller grocery stores here. "Smoking products will not be supplied to Minors". I keep looking for stuff on the shelves to see if any are smoking. Have never found any, so I guess all the Minors are pretty safe.

One problem I have with smoke is that it is not what I have seen coming out of real locomotives. Looks more like something coming off of a cigarette sitting in an ash tray. Sometimes smoke might be a light gray, but it is also be black and in great quantities. Not the wispy smoke in our models.

This is what I can remember.

Guess I'm just an cranky old fart.

Last edited:

Back