Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worn out from getting ready for the 'CANE. Looks like it will be a bigun. Have a lot more to do but can only move slowly and then take a break.
Spoke with CURT- he is busy with his home.
Missed 2 days of the forum and am 7 pages behind.
Prayers and Blessings to all Pleasant dreams,
Phil

Worn out from getting ready for the 'CANE. Looks like it will be a bigun. Have a lot more to do but can only move slowly and then take a break.
Spoke with CURT- he is busy with his home.
Missed 2 days of the forum and am 7 pages behind.
Prayers and Blessings to all Pleasant dreams,
Phil
One of my friends in Flroida told me watching a hurricane approach is like being stalked by a turtle...

Well. I got it. Really didn't think I had a hope, 20 bids and 36 watchers and I didn't see any of those bids by a duplicate bidder. Was sitting on $US180.50 right till I put my bid in at 12 seconds and then noticed after hitting the post bid, button that it hadn't registered so had to hit it again (7 sec's). Anyway, final price was $204.27, which being as it's new, is lower than the $214, I paid at Klein's and another shop for each of the previous 3 Genesis I have. I think I've stretched the financial rubber band to it's practical limits, but I'm glad I did.

Medicare paid for mine and six weeks after the results, the testing company sent me a $75 Visa gift card! A year and a half later, my wife did one and they only sent a $35 gift card to Outback Steak House. My results came back as inconclusive and I had to schedule the real thing, found five benign polyps.
I wondered if the lady behind the counter at the UPS store knew what was in the box when I sent it back?
LOL

Willie, I like Cozy Powell too, but not as much as Bill Ward. Thank you for your thoughts. I'm by no means an expert on music, I like what I like. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Makes me think of art in general, some of what is worth millions to others is a just a mystery to me.

Karl, it's great to see your post and that is a wonderful picture! You are not alone in your opinion of the city. I feel otherwise, but that's me, I like the convince of living in the city. You would not have liked riding with me last night. I was delivering packages in west Baltimore. I finished 2 blocks north of W. North avenue. You may have been surprised by how politely I was greeted walking on those streets.
The suspect killed in that shooting was wanted for 2 separate counts of attempted murder of police officers. He got away Tuesday by driving a full size SUV over 100/mph entering the Baltimore Washington parkway from Monroe street. They were not going to let him get away again. The sad news is an officer and an innocent bystander were also wounded in that deadly late night shootout.

Terry, no comment, other then to say, I wish you well.

Liberal … I think what some of you are referring to is progressive, rather than Liberal.

English is a language that can be easily manipulated and even changed over time by the misuse of words. The word conservative is currently being manipulated, evolving and has been for some time now. Many words are, It's nothing new. If you are interested to learn more about the history and evolution of our language I recommend this documentary series. I saw it on PBS, but I can't find it anywhere now except for the DVD set. It's pricey, but worth every penny, that is if I can get my grandsons to watch it!

1567151848889.png

View attachment 39007

I actually have two "Al's General Store" on the layout, one in each town. I'm thinking of repurposing one of them into a bait and tackle shop. I'll let you know how that goes.
I really like the look of your Al's general store. The more I look at it the more I like!

Maybe they could be a franchise?

It would be a busy bait shop, maybe the bait shop could also be the place the watermen buy supplies and bring their catch to be shipped on the train? I guess you would also need an ice facility too. Whatever you decide, I'm interested in seeing what you do with the other one, I hope you post a picture.

I enjoy the pictures of your layout, thank you for sharing them.

Gave the SD35 #702 a little run back and forth on my 6' of track (with it's 5 amp supply). I had squeezed a little bit of Labelle #106 grease with PTFE (I could write for MR mag, eh!) through each of the openings in the bottom covers of each truck (I like that idea) to spread it around the gears. It had already been programmed to it's long address and the sound started up as soon as it's number was entered. I tried the shutdown as Terry mentioned, 3 quick presses of f9. Boy, did it go through a long sequence. Double click to f6 and up it came again. The volume is not very loud, but that's probably a CV setting..
I'll go and set it up in a consist with #703, which I put a Tsunami v1 in and the iPhone speaker and see how they run together.

Good morning Everybody!

It's cool and comfortable here in southeast Baltimore. Yesterday I was wrong about the humidity returning. It was not bad yesterday and is predicted to be even better today. I thought for sure with the temperatures rising back into the mid to upper 80s the humidity would be rising as well. Not very often a Baltimorean can say "its hot, but it's a dry heat", maybe today will be one of those rare days.

When I returned from walking my wife to her car earlier this morning I thought I would also be retrieving a full recycle bin from the curb, but it was empty! I got home from work yesterday a little after 8pm and they still had not emptied my recycle bin. They usually work late on recycle pick up days, but never that late. Way to go guys! My sanitation service is top notch.

On my way home form work I stopped at a Sav-a-Lot grocery store. We needed bananas, green bananas to be precise, it's a diabetic thing. As usual I did a complete recon of the store looking for deals and found a few. The best one was, T-bone steaks for $3.69/pound, "how about that sports fans?!" I picked out a dozen big beauties to cook on the charcoal grill Monday, stop by if your hungry, I got more than we need. These T-bones could easily be passed off as USDA Choice, they are marbled beautifully.

Doing these evening blocks for Amazon is working out great for me. Yesterday I had 17 stops, the day before 13 stops. Each day was less than an hours worth of work and got paid 3 hours for each day. I average 20 stops/hour, working at my new leisurely pace. Working in the evening I get to see a lot more people. The majority of the residents of west Baltimore, where I was yesterday, are very nice.

Even the "hoppers" on the corners are nice to me. The key is to look them in the eye and say hello, or as I usually say to them "what's up fellas?" Respect goes a long way. The reality is the people involved in the drug trade are nothing to worry about, unless you get caught in the cross fire. They don't want anything minor to draw attention to them and disrupt their business.

I guess I should define hoppers. They are young people, under 18, who are... sales clerks? They are the ones who are at the point of sale for dealers. Minors don't face hard time if caught. They don't make much money, maybe $10/hour, but there are not many opportunities in that part of west Baltimore, everybody has to eat. The dealers usually feed them when they are working, that's better than some other jobs.

The hardcore addicts are another story. They are illogical and unpredictable. They know to be cool around the dealers, but if you happen on them alone, anything goes. I have a natural deterrent, addicts are looking for "soft targets" at 6'8" 290lbs I don't look like a soft target. Some people think carrying a gun is a solution, it's not. If the addicts see a gun they will conspire with each other to ambush the person carrying the gun. Guns bring top dollar and are the fastest item you can sell on the streets. Hardcore addicts can have habits costing up to $1000/day, they can be desperate to avoid being "dope sick". If you carry a gun on the streets of Baltimore, keep it concealed well or be ready to take a blow to the back of your head and shot 3-4 drug addicts afterwards.

On to better things.

I have some things to do at my desk in my office/train-room/playpen, but I'm making a pit stop on the couch. The pit stop will probably become a nap.

Have a great day Everybody, God Bless Us Everyone!

Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
A PRR passenger train allegedly on the former Northern Central north out of Baltimore, (unknown) location, date, or photographer, from the Md. Rail Heritage Library archives.
1567162246827.png

Morning all,

As far as the home test mentioned earlier, Why does the lady need her glasses to take that test?
Isn't the colon and related plumbing lower than the head? Does the box need her glasses? Does the box really do anything?

Have a great weekend guys. I'm off in a few hours , hopefully until Tuesday. All you guys in Florida, stay safe and we're thinking of you.

I really like the look of your Al's general store. The more I look at it the more I like!

Maybe they could be a franchise?

It would be a busy bait shop, maybe the bait shop could also be the place the watermen buy supplies and bring their catch to be shipped on the train? I guess you would also need an ice facility too. Whatever you decide, I'm interested in seeing what you do with the other one, I hope you post a picture.

I enjoy the pictures of your layout, thank you for sharing them.

Louis - Thank you for your comments and suggestions. My layout is a fictional location in upstate New York. No waterfront, other than the one lake and river I have. So the bait and tackle place would be to serve fisherfolk heading out for a day of fishing on the lake. Don't plan on putting an ice facility there. Maybe sell bags of ice for local use. I've already begun looking for items for a bait and tackle shop - fishing poles, live bait container, appropriate signs, etc. I may find some things at our local train show next week. I'll keep everyone posted on how things go.

Liberal … I think what some of you are referring to is progressive, rather than Liberal.

English is a language that can be easily manipulated and even changed over time by the misuse of words. The word conservative is currently being manipulated, evolving and has been for some time now. Many words are, It's nothing new. If you are interested to learn more about the history and evolution of our language I recommend this documentary series. I saw it on PBS, but I can't find it anywhere now except for the DVD set. It's pricey, but worth every penny, that is if I can get my grandsons to watch it!

View attachment 39059
This looks interesting. Having started my adult life as a high school English teacher, I'm fascinated by languages. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back