My compressor died, but lives again!

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
Long, long ago, in the early years of the Second Age, I bought a small 2 gallon compressor from Menards. I have used it for a number of tasks around here. When I got into airbrushing it became my airbrush compressor. A new unit is $50, and I know I didn't pay that much for this one! I added the regulator/moisture trap myself.
001.JPG

A few days ago I painted the roof of a kit I'm kit-bashing (http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...s-division-ho-scale.26206/page-14#post-462190 ).
I finished the roof, cleaned the airbrush, and took a break. I got involved in a YouTube video, and then I heard the moisture trap on my workbench open up. It does that when there's no air pressure. This compressor has a small leak somewhere I've never been able to track down. It may be under the cover, I don't know. It's very slight so I just live with it. I went to check the compressor, and there was absolutely 0 air pressure. I toggled the switch on and off. Nothing. I checked the electrical outlet by plugging something else into it. Yup, the outlet is fine. The problem is with the compressor itself. I was kind of bummed out about it, but then I thought "Hey, now I have a good reason to save up and buy a new one!"
I finished up the building kit and put the compressor on the bench about an hour ago. The workbench in the workshop is buried under another project at the moment. I removed 4 Allen screws and pulled the cover off. I made sure all the electrical connections were tight, and checked continuity through the on/off switch. Everything looked good. Then I noticed one of the old style glass-and-metal fuses in a circuit board. Checked continuity through the fuse. Nothing. I think I found the problem!
002.JPG

It's a wet, sloppy day here In Lincoln, Ne. today and I really didn't want to go out and buy a package of fuses. I rummaged through the stuff I have here and looky, looky! A package of fuses the same rating as the one from the compressor!
003.JPG

I popped one of these bad boys into the circuit board, plugged in the compressor, threw the switch, and the compressor came to life! :D
I'm happy it's running again, but now I don't have a good compelling reason to save up for a new compressor! :confused:
In the words of Winston Churchill "Never give up! Never give up! Never, ever, ever give up!"
Sometimes it's the simple things........

Oops! Made a small boo-boo! The original fuse was a 3 amp fuse, the ones I had were 30 amp fuses! I stopped at AutoZone while I was out and about this afternoon and bought some 3 amp fuse. Took about 5 minutes to put it in. All better now!
I don't know exactly what the fuse is protecting, but a fuse 10 times the amperage of the original may not be the best idea!

So it died, now it's not dead any more.
Does that mean it's undead?
Perhaps "Un-died" would be better?

How about "replaced"? Yep, I done it! I was looking online last evening at quiet compressors, and saw this one on the Menards website:
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...48-c-12910.htm?tid=7846660294499018145&ipos=1

It's a 1.8 gallon 3/4 hp two stage compressor. The old compressor is 2 gallon and 1/3 hp, so the new one will take less time to fill the tank, meaning it won't have to work as hard. It's supposed to be portable, but at 48 lbs. I wouldn't want to port it real far! :D
I wouldn't call it silent, but it makes a lot less noise than the old one. The new one is rated at 60 decibels, the old one at 72. There is a noticeable reduction in the noise level.
This is a discontinued model, and there were none in stock at the north Lincoln Menards. I checked other stores and there was 1 in stock at the south Lincoln Menards. I talked it over with the wife, got the OK, and went and got my new compressor. Paid $149 including tax. I still need to do the rebate stuff.
I let the tank fill an hour ago, and the left needle was pegged on the red. After an hour it's only lost this much air:
001.JPG

I have the outlet pressure set at 50 PSI. Due to the fact that I have a regulator/moisture trap attached to the side of my workbench
001.JPG

I don't really need to use the compressor's regulator. If I have it set at 50 PSI that should provide plenty of air for airbrushing, since I usually have the above regulator set at 20 or so. I'll give it a real test Saturday, I have a boxcar I want to paint oxide red.
I look forward to using this. Most of the 'quiet' compressors run in the $175-200 range, so I feel good about getting this one.

The new compressor is officially in service!
I painted a 50' wood framed boxcar boxcar red. I got this in a box of "broken or un-serviceable" rolling stock at a train show. I got a whole flat of various types of rolling stock for $5. I do not know who made the car, there are no marking on it or the frame. Next to it is my single action airbrush. Got it from Harbor Freight for about $6 with a 25% off coupon. If it ever dies, I'll replace it with a Badger 350, but this thing is like the Energizer Bunny: It just keeps going and going and going.....
001.JPG

Back