Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I have received an email from MTS saying I've achieved Engineer status and only have to spend another US$1210.38 by year's end to advance to Yardmaster. Won't take many more decoders to reach that, I guess. AU$1784.17? Easily achievable o_O

So does the Montreal subway. Much quieter and smoother than NYC's subway.

I wouldn't say that the Sapporo subway is particularly quiet. But maybe that is because they run with the windows open some (anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 open). Probably for the breeze that comes through. It is reasonably hot and humid here in summer (though not as hot as Tokyo or Osaka)

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 79° here in North Central Texas. Forecast calls for our first day this summer of triple digits. That will reduce my outdoor activity a bit. Headed for the therapy center around noon. Only managed to remove one of my offending tree branches yesterday before I hit my self-imposed 45 minute limit on the chain saw and shredder. Branch #2 today. Caught up on the laundry and vacuuming early.
How about some sausage, hashed browns and a Mexican Omelet this morning Flo.
Thanks for yesterday's likes and comments on the project progress; Johnny, Jerome, Justin, Dave, Sherrel, Patrick, Joe, Ken, Louis, Phil.

I made it out to the train shed later on, and made some progress on the Green Door Lounge. I added owner Miss Lizzie on the porch dancing a jig with one of her customers.
08-07-19 001.JPG

Added a parking area around the building along with some ground foam.
08-07-19 002.JPG

The view from the other side.
08-07-19 003.JPG

And finally a rear view.
08-07-19 004.JPG

Over on the workbench I am painting a dolly and a worker to add to the rear. Overall I will be adding some more weeds; need some vehicles which I am running out of.

Dave - Belated Happy Birthday to your wife. The white sheen shows up on the ground in the pictures, but not in person, I guess that it is just the way the light hit the area.
Sherrel - Please wish Kate a Happy Birthday from Arlene and me this morning.
Louis - Hope that you're feeling better soon.
Ken & Greg - Continued best wishes on your recoveries as well.

Today is Purple Heart Day. Think of all of those recipients today.
Everybody have a great day. Granddog is going home today, one less thing for me to deal with in these especially busy days.

Willie, I feel better already, thank you, but I'm still lounging around the house. At last I have learned not to make a big thing much worse.

The grass needs to be cut, but it will still need to be cut tomorrow or the next or when ever I get to it!

Good morning. 56 degrees with clear skies to start off the day with a high expected in the mid 80's.

I have been absent for a while as we had out of state visitors stay with us for a few days. We bounced around the state showing them many of the attractions in the area including a visit to Yellowstone Park.

Yesterday was a sad day for us as we had to put our loyal friend Hank to sleep. He was more than just a pet, but a family member. He loved kids and was so happy when the grand kids come over to visit.

thumbnail_20190805_093005.jpgHank 044.jpgP1010011.JPG

He was 15, almost 16 and could hardly hear and his eyesight was very poor. In recent months he had lost almost half his body weight as you can see from the first to the second photo as he had stopped eating. He wasn'tfat. All muscle. He was skin and bones and his rear legs were getting very weak. In the last few weeks his quality of life was not good at all. He was terrified going to the vet so we had a mobile vet stop by so he wasn't in a strange place with strange people. We put his be up on a table for him and he was giving out kisses. Enough to tear your heart out. He went peacefully with his family with him. He is gone, but we have so many great memories of his tie with us.

I have a lot to catch up with on the forum. I have seen many posts on the phone but did not respond.

IB Ken - Glad to hear that you you are feeling better. Hope you have a full recovery soon.

Chad - Thanks for posting your photos. Looks like you are really enjoying yourself.

Justin - Really nice photos of the B&O sharks. Thumb up.gif

Johnny - Another fine photo of your layout. Keep them coming.

Ray - Interesting trail on the MRL 382.

Dave - Nice photo. The module is coming along nicely.

Beady - Hope that your Big Boy shows up some time this century. I sent my F-7 B unit to Walthers for repair and when I changed my address I called to notify them and found out that they are backed up. Probably won't have it back in time to run it at the club as Thursday op sessions will end after Labor Day. I do not attend the Saturday night op sessions.

Willie - Great photos as usual. Can't believe all of the work you're getting done on your layout. Like the diner. I have the samer one and also put figures inside and lit the interior. Great kit.

IMAG1055.jpg

Got a bit behind with the yard work playing tour guide with our visitors so I should get to work outside.

RIP HANK

thumbnail_20190806_145236.jpg

Later.

Chet: Sorry to hear about Hank, he will be missed. I've been down that road too many times with my four legged family members and it's never easy.

Our thoughts are with you.

Greg

Last edited:
Howdy .

Chet ... Sincere condolences to you regarding your loss of Hank. I know what you are going through because we have had to put down pets. You did the right thing because it is better than letting them suffer until they die.

Ken ... Pertaining to SD38’s , I recall DT&I had a few of them assigned to the hump yard in Flat Rock , MI. After GTW acquired DT&I, the units were painted in GTW’s blue color scheme. The last I saw Flat Rock Yard, the units were still there. By now, they might have CN’s black paint scheme.

Beady .. I rode on the Montreal subway many years ago, and it was very quiet compared to other subways.

Cheers

Afternoon fellers. I didn't get a chance to stop by yesterday like I had hoped. Chet I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Some nice photos being posted on here as always. I haven't had a chance to work on my GP7 either. I put it in my head everyday that I'm gonna do it after work only to get side tracked when I get home and run out of time. May be a weekend endeavor if I have the time. I'm trying to get back to the layout when I can. This past weekend was the first time I've ran trains since I can remember. The amount of cleaning it took just to get trains running was an indication of that. Mostly I'm getting tired of all the questions about why I haven't done anything to the layout aside from just laying my track. Oh what having babies will do for your hobbies. Anyways moving on here. I dug up some more coal trains for y'all to enjoy.
824f971d52f7a3865d00a82176992aa3.jpg

ple2033clarksville.jpg

200304051031384776.jpg

Chet - my deepest condolences on losing Hank!:( I don't currently have any pets, but I remember losing a pet cat when I was 13. He somehow managed to get his leg twisted. My father took him to the vet, then came home and said he'd gotten him euthanized because it would've been "...too expensive to waste all that money to fix a broken leg on just a cat." I was as furious as I was grieved!

Thanks everyone, who commented on my SD38-2 model. That CSX gray 'hockey stick' scheme was easy to weather - I could just puff-on some soot and grunge colored powders, then seal it with Dullcote and it would still be visible. Not so easy to do with my dark blue B&O units since Dullcote makes light-colored dust disappear on dark surfaces.

I was making my plans for returning to work next week and learned that, since I had used short-term disability benefits, I need a note from my surgeon before I can go back to work! o_O Seems kinda backward to me. Anywho...thanks for the continuing well-wishes!

Chet, I am so very sorry to hear about Hank. I hope you didn't find the picture I posted in bad taste, I Had no idea about Hank when I posted it.

I've said many times; the joy our pets bring us far outweighs the pain of losing them, but the pain is none the less deep.

Ken, I know how you felt, I lost 2 dogs, on separate occasions due to finical choices by my Mom.

74F in Sapporo on Thursday Morning at 8:45am

Chet -- RIP Hank. Sorry for your loss, but it sounds as if Hank lived a full good life. May he chase butterflies or whatever he liked chasing in Heaven now.

Yesterday we took a day trip out into the country side of Hokkaido to some place called "Farm Tomita". It is a commercial farm known for Lavender and other flowers, as well as melons. (Hokkaido as a whole is known for melons, meaning cantaloupe type and honeydew type mostly). We took one limited express train for about 85 minutes to another city called Asahikawa, and there got on an older diesel multiple unit train that was a "extra" (not on normal schedule except during the summer) and went to a temporary station called "Lavender Farm". This is a wooden platform set up in the country side and special trains stop at it for tourists going to this farm. They have a special train called Norokko that serves this station and other locales nearby as well as this "extra" train (once a day) we took from Asahikawa. Normal locals do not stop at it.

After eating melon flavored soft ice cream (and some lavender scented soft ice cream and other sweets scented with lavender -- quite the tourist trap) and wandering around the lavender (which was mostly harvested already -- end of season) and commercial flower beds, we got on the Norokko train for about 3-4 minutes to the next normal stop where we caught an old KiHa 150 DMU (2 cars) that took an hour to cover the 35 min back to Asahikawa, where we took another limited express back to Sapporo.

While we did hear some Japanese (and a little English) at the farm area, most of what we heard is Chinese. It seems Japan has been invaded by Chinese tourists now-a-days. I guess as long as they spend a ton all is good. (And they do seem to spend a ton).

Here are a few pics.

The 789 Series EMU set HL-1006 limited express we took from Sapporo to Asahikawa.

IMG_1926.jpg

The "extra" DMU train we took out to the "Lavender Farm" station (at the station -- you can see it is just a temporary wooden platform set up)

IMG_1936.jpg

The station sign set up for the temporary station

IMG_1938.jpg

The expensive melons for sale (and these are cheap compared to some) (current rate is 106 JPY to 1 USD so figure 100 to 1 for easy math)

IMG_1940.jpg

The Norokko special train that we took from the farm to the next normal station (depending on where we wanted to go we could have ridden it longer). The car was a semi-open with wooden benches -- on one side parallel to the wall, facing the wall, so you can look out the window -- a special sight seeing train car of older vintage. The locomotive is a DE15 diesel, which were originally built as snowplow trains (obviously the plow is removed here) and are based on the DE10 locomotive.

IMG_1962.jpgIMG_1969.jpgIMG_1975.jpg

The KiHa 150 DMU we took back to Asahikawa. (From there we took the same 789 Series EMU limited express, same set even -- HL-1006 -- back to Sapporo)

IMG_1977.jpg

IB Ken- sounds about right. When I had my pacer put in 5 years ago, I needed a note from the cardiologist to clear me before I could return to work.

Chet: Saddened to learn of your loss. Hank will be missed.

Thanks everyone, who commented on my SD38-2 model. That CSX gray 'hockey stick' scheme was easy to weather - I could just puff-on some soot and grunge colored powders, then seal it with Dullcote and it would still be visible. Not so easy to do with my dark blue B&O units since Dullcote makes light-colored dust disappear on dark surfaces.

Ken: I missed your SD38-2 the first time around, great looking model. FWIW, since PRR / PC and pre 1962 Reading engines are all dark, I dullcote first then use the powders. They adhere well to the Dullcote, but not the other way around.

Louis: Hope you feel better soon. You work harder than you think...be careful with your health.

I have been viewing some U-Tube videos by Central Jersey Conrail. An N scale modeler has been modeling the Conrail Amboy Secondary and Freehold secondary, with great fidelity to detail within the limits of his space. Since I spent a lot of time running over this territory, I was extremely impressed with his work.

Take a look, The guy's name is Joe, but it's not me. He has a whole series of videos to look at.

Speaking of working on the layout, I did some mortar line work on the Meat Packing complex today. What I finished turned out well, but I had to close up the garage around dunner time due to some torrential rain squalls passing over. The Rutgers U. weather station, three miles away reported 1.57" of rainfall mostly between 5 and 7 PM.

The Amazins won again....It's beyond Amazin, it's incredible. Just think, two months ago, the media was clamoring for the managers head, now he's a genius.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back