Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Happy July.
Looks like the people not retired get two Fridays this week--and two Mondays. One is doing double duty as both days at once.
Many of y'all probably remember the problems I had with my back/spine in December. Those problems seem to have returned with a vengeance over the weekend.

Good morning. Happy July.
Looks like the people not retired get two Fridays this week--and two Mondays. One is doing double duty as both days at once.
Many of y'all probably remember the problems I had with my back/spine in December. Those problems seem to have returned with a vengeance over the weekend.
Two Fridays? Two Mondays? How about all Saturdays? I don't know anymore!:cool: I no longer get weekends. Or holidays, or vacations!

Good morning gang!
I love the smell of fresh paint in the morning! Heading to the beach today, have a few stops to make on the way, but we will be there by this afternoon. Dog and cat are at their respective care givers, suitcases are packed, just have to shower and go!
Now if I can just get "her" out of the bathroom,,,,, I mean, were going on vacation here, not a cotillion!!!:rolleyes:

Good morning gang!
I love the smell of fresh paint in the morning! Heading to the beach today, have a few stops to make on the way, but we will be there by this afternoon. Dog and cat are at their respective care givers, suitcases are packed, just have to shower and go!
Now if I can just get "her" out of the bathroom,,,,, I mean, were going on vacation here, not a cotillion!!!:rolleyes:
Hey! Lay off! She's merely obeying Beady's 7th Law of Social Harmonics: Before you begin, pee.

Good Morning All. 72° and partly cloudy skies this morning. Wind gusts are reported to be 1 mph, why waste the time reporting that? 40% chance of thunderstorms later around 6 pm. The aroma of bacon mingled with the paint today is quite enjoyable, I'll have a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit this morning Flo.
I hope all is clear for the tractor/mower repairman to visit today, yard is looking ragged. The neighbor's goats are no help as they keep wandering over to the just harvested wheat field next door to clean the spilled grain off the ground. He sold 250 of them over the weekend at a local "trade days" for the Hispanic community to celebrate the 4th with. Pocketed over 18K in the process. He's already raising the next group for Labor day, which he says will be his last "big" sale. He is 77 years old and wants to cut back.

Thanks for the likes and comments for the flatcar pictures; Garry, Dave, Sherrel, Phil, Jerome, Curt, Ken.
I have a lot more flatcar pictures that I'll post soon, in the meanwhile, a change of pace back to scenery below.

Being as yesterday was Sunday, church, supper at a local hangout with friends etc, I didn't get much time in the train shed. I did pick the new scenery project site, actually one I was going to do while doing the peninsula. Just have to finish the scenery/details between the ROW scenery and layout edge.
07-01-19 021.JPG

It's about four feet by between two inches at one end and six inches at the near end. There's an "off-layout" road that continues from the right out in front unseen.
I'm starting with the fencing around this red house. I have decided to use Bar Mills "Insta Fence".
07-01-19 022.JPG

It says "160' scale feet" (redundant!).
07-01-19 027.JPG

But it's really not!:confused:
07-01-19 026.JPG

07-01-19 023.JPG

Only 152 scale feet! Anyway, it's a good product and I'll finish that part up today.

Beady - Good luck with the transmission work. I have read and heard that those CRT transmissions are quite unreliable.
Ken - The BP medication (I take 3) sometimes seems to have the same effect on me. I try to ignore it mostly. If I'd just lose a little weight, I might not have to take as much.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning ! It's a nice 82* , clear but muggy.Can taste the moisture in the air.. Should get to low 90's later but "THEY" say no rain. We'll see.
Have a couple chores to do, so I'll be back later
Enjoy the day,
Phil

I didn't mean to push all your buttons, I was just looking for MUTE .

Good morning, 69 and cloudy. We had some heavy thunder and rain overnight, the ground is all soggy, however they may be paving this afternoon on a mill and overlay. No rest for the wicked!

I could use some cakes and eggs right about now, over medium if you please.

Willie--thanks for sharing the fence project! I notice your post includes a few things of my planned photo share, namely 1) church and 2) the company houses. Here are mine:

a final view 019.JPG

Terry-- I hope the back issue does not linger

more later, Dave

Good Morning Track Gang!
Goody-Goody - We are greeted with another 6.5 cents added on gas tax today; I have no idea why? I guess it so the powers to be can add more bicycle lanes to the more narrow two-lane highways, or maybe they will actually fill a few potholes along the way?
Supposed to be 90* today with NOT a whisper of a cloud in sight. Normal is 90*, last year was 86*, and the record in 2006 was 99*
Need to check the battery on the CRV this morning to see if it is holding the charge and I need to clean the positive post; it had a small bit of corrosion on it (which I should have cleaned yesterday). There is a small flashing, green light right above where the left knee resides - the manual DOES NOT show a reference to this light: Does anyone have a clue as to what it is???

Well, Guess I had better get busy and finish my "accomplished NOTHING" task that was started a couple of days back.
Here's a shot of my friend's weathering - must have been in the last days before the merger.
SLSF FA 5201 01.jpg
SLSF FA 5201 model.jpg

Good morning fellas. Flo, I’ll have 2 eggs over hard, home fries & a side of scrapple with my cup of joe, black please. Dark clouds today with scattered t-storms this morning & then again after dusk. 68 now; forecast high of 82.

Terry- thanks for opening the diner.
Phil- congrats on kicking the BP meds.
Dave- would you please quit sending us your stormy weather?
Sherrill- is said green light illumination with key on or key off?

Last edited:
Good Morning Track Gang!
Goody-Goody - We are greeted with another 6.5 cents added on gas tax today; I have no idea why? I guess it so the powers to be can add more bicycle lanes to the more narrow two-lane highways, or maybe they will actually fill a few potholes along the way?
Supposed to be 90* today with NOT a whisper of a cloud in sight. Normal is 90*, last year was 86*, and the record in 2006 was 99*
Need to check the battery on the CRV this morning to see if it is holding the charge and I need to clean the positive post; it had a small bit of corrosion on it (which I should have cleaned yesterday). There is a small flashing, green light right above where the left knee resides - the manual DOES NOT show a reference to this light: Does anyone have a clue as to what it is???

Well, Guess I had better get busy and finish my "accomplished NOTHING" task that was started a couple of days back.
Here's a shot of my friend's weathering - must have been in the last days before the merger.
View attachment 37717View attachment 37719
Speaking of gas tax increase, apparently Ohio bumped their gas tax up a dime today.

Speaking of gas tax increase, apparently Ohio bumped their gas tax up a dime today.

consider yourself lucky. Our governor wanted to raise ours $ .20 on top of already the third highest taxed state in the union. Luckily it didn't float. They tear down already good stuff to make it "even better" and ignore tire eating potholes on everything else.

Good morning everyone. 70 and sunny. Maybe some rain this afternoon. Summer's here with a vengeance - - around 90 every day, and now come July and August!!

Willie - nice photos - I've used that insta-fence before - I like it.
Terry - Hope your back problems get better soon.
Sherrel - nice photos from your layout.
Dave - I like those photos.
Karl - safe travels and have a nice time at the beach.

Weekend included mowing, kids and grandkids over, and some time in the train room. Mostly, I made significant progress on the Benson's 5 and Dime store construction. Meant to take a photo or two but forgot. Will try to do that this week.

By the way (I should probably ask this over in one of the other forums) - What's the best way to flatten out slightly bowed walls in a kit like that one? Do I need to run a blow dryer on them? I've tried heavy weights for several days, but that doesn't seem to work. Don't tell me to put them in the oven - we just got a brand new range Saturday and MOH would not like melted plastic on the coils :eek:

Have a nice day everyone.

Morning all,

Just coffee this morning Flo...Thanks.

Well It took a heck of a lot longer to get that brisket smoked...16 hours.....but it tasted great. I could never understand why the bbq places had chopped brisket. This being my first one, I now know why.

Got the grandson's train table constructed with his help. 4 foot square and about 36" high. He will be running n-scale, so I think that will be a good starter size table. Right now I have an oval in HO ez track for him to run his Thomas on. He's ready to get started, but Christmas is still just under 6 months away. I did use the loop to run the Blue Box engine and get it so it doesn't derail. Hopefully it now works on the big track.

bnsf971: What year is your Colorado? I have a 2009 W/T model I've had for nearly 10 years. Pushing 155,000 and still running ok.

Patrick, the old one was a 2017, the new one is a 2019. We didn’t really want the 2017, but it was the only real way out of a problem truck. We really, really didn’t want the 2019, but the forecast of having to foot the $4k repair bill next time around motivated us.

Good morning. A new month. Half the year is over, where did it go ???? Guess time flies when you're having fun.
Another nice day ahead with the highs in the 70's again.

Didn't do much over the weekend. Sprayed some weeds, watched the stock car races in Chicago and drank some beer. Haven't seen the train room since last week.

Sherrel - Nice photos. The weathering is outstanding.

Dave
- Nice photo. I really enjoy them.

Terry - Enjoy the new Colorado. Sure hope it works out better for you than the first one.

Beady - I thing you are referring to a CVT transmission. Constantly Variable Transmission. I personally HATE them. I was interested in a Subaru and we rented one a while back just to see how the CVT ran. They are noisy and I felt that it lacked power. Mash the gas and it felt like stepping into a bowl of oatmeal. They also require regular oil changes around every 30,000 miles which are expensive. They do get slightly better fuel mileage than a conventional automatic transmission, but I'll never own a car with one. I still prefer manual transmissions but cars with them are few and far between. That's why I enjoy driving my classic cars.

Willie
- Liked your flat car loads. I have a couple of the Insta-fence kits. They are in my procrastination bin. I'll get to them some day.

Here's my photo for today.

20180519_205225.jpg

Later

I don't like CVT transmissions, but I think they are a popular way of doing a PHEV (plugin hybrid EV), as it makes the interface of electric motor and gas motor easy. (They are used in lots of gas only installations of course as well)

My Audi PHEV actually embeds the electric motor inside the 6-speed automatic manual (dual clutch automatically shifting system).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back