How many prefer to buy DCC equipped vs. DCC ready?

Until you discovered that each model manufacturer built their's differently.

Not at all Toot. I’ve done other decoder installs, both PnP and hardwired, I’ve even done speakers and sound too. However I’m just lazy so why bother if I can buy it already done for me. :D:D

Not at all Toot. I’ve done other decoder installs, both PnP and hardwired, I’ve even done speakers and sound too. However I’m just lazy so why bother if I can buy it already done for me. :D:D
Now that most model manufactures seem to be installing full function capable sound decoders ex factory, I would prefer to buy them so fitted, and will. I've gotten myself to the point of installing sound into a dozen or so, mostly earlier pre sound, but DCC ready versions, using both PnP boards and wired decoders using iPhone speakers or Railmaster hobbies. I've just done 2 MTH 'ACe's, DCC ready's, using Tsunami 2 boards and pairs of the 28mm in each. The most challenging so far has been putting another Tsunami 2 PnP into a Scale Trains Gevo T4 DCC ready. That involved removing the ECU Motherboard to make way for the Soundtraxx and I used an iPhone 7s speaker, mounted above the board on that one. I would have used their sugar cube speakers had they been supplied, but being DCC ready, they don't of course. They do supply the plastic enclosure for them, but then you would no doubt have to use their ones, ordered from them. To get to them, it's necessary to split the chassis (horizontal joint).

I'm just finishing an Atlas SD35 DCC/sound ready (2 30mm round speakers in a tent shaped weight over the rear drive shaft). I've used an old Tsunami TSU1000 in that, that I had and a iPhone 6s plus speaker. I have to say I prefer the board type decoders to the wired/wrapped types for ease of connecting the power pickups to in particular. This one, I was lucky, I re-routed the wires from the trucks so only one joint was needed on each side.

Just an FYI, Bachmann only has a one year warranty. The only ones with lifetime warranty are the ones grandfathered in when properly registered back when they still offered that. And when you send in yoyr lifetime warranty loco for repair or replacement, your replacement has a one year warranty.

Are the US makers doing more sound trains in N? N is harder to put sound into as the space is a lot less for the speakers.

I have a couple Minitrix (a DB BR 101 and a Taurus "Wagner") that have factory sound and decoder. And I've built sound into one (Fleischmann DB BR 147). I have a bunch of sound decoders that run over SUSI that I can attach to an existing motor decoder (that has SUSI outputs) that will allow me more latitude to find space for the sound decoder and speakers -- maybe in an aux wagon or something).

Are the US makers doing more sound trains in N? N is harder to put sound into as the space is a lot less for the speakers.

I have a couple Minitrix (a DB BR 101 and a Taurus "Wagner") that have factory sound and decoder. And I've built sound into one (Fleischmann DB BR 147). I have a bunch of sound decoders that run over SUSI that I can attach to an existing motor decoder (that has SUSI outputs) that will allow me more latitude to find space for the sound decoder and speakers -- maybe in an aux wagon or something).

Here'ya, have a hunt through these
https://www.ebay.com/b/N-Scale-Model-Railroad-Locomotives-with-Sound-Function/69812/bn_56995353

I have two Atlas Shays that need to be dcc. They are still waiting for me to do them. I just turned 67 and my hands failed me. Not to sure but i may have screwed the pooch on one of them. The jury is still out on that one yet. My question is why don't these folks sale there engines all dcc ready or dcc'ed from the factory. Shays are not even dcc ready. Knowing how to do it and doing it are two separate things when it comes to N scale. My way is not easy but the factories could have done it easy. No options here.

I have two Atlas Shays that need to be dcc. They are still waiting for me to do them. I just turned 67 and my hands failed me. Not to sure but i may have screwed the pooch on one of them. The jury is still out on that one yet. My question is why don't these folks sale there engines all dcc ready or dcc'ed from the factory. Shays are not even dcc ready. Knowing how to do it and doing it are two separate things when it comes to N scale. My way is not easy but the factories could have done it easy. No options here.
I don't think I'd be so brave, especially with N scale and doubly with a steam loco.

Just an FYI, Bachmann only has a one year warranty. The only ones with lifetime warranty are the ones grandfathered in when properly registered back when they still offered that. And when you send in yoyr lifetime warranty loco for repair or replacement, your replacement has a one year warranty.
Thanks for clarifying that.. I do remember now they went to 1 year, old lifetime warrantee gone forever !!

Another thing is "if..you bought it on-line at places like Ebay or Amazon, they will void the warrant. I ran in to that just with the latest loco i bought on Ebay!! Cost me 60 bucks for them to fix or replace it... My understanding is that on-line places like Fifer Hobby and regular stores, the mail order places don't void it. go figure...

My home layout is DC only, but my club is DCC. I only need a few locomotives to be able to run at the club, so I get DCC equipped.

Like I posted before, I have have no preference for either DCC installed locomotive or installing my own decoders.

However, I will purchase DCC with sound locomotives only because of the added expense to replace a non-sound decoder with a sound decoder and the extra cost of a speaker to added to a locomotive's original cost. In the past I have run into some problems installing sound decoders.

Greg

There are shops that will do DCC installs for you, if you feel that your hands are failing you or for whatever reason you no longer want to do them yourself.

Smokey...I know the feeling...dream about model railroading while sleeping in the hospital and have a speedy recovery.

Greg
I dun'no about trains, but some of the "stuff" they had me on after heart surgery 15 years ago, the dreams were so vivid, I can still remember details of them. The weirdest part, was, when in that semi-conscious state, I found I had some control over what was happening in them.

I dream about being back on the road again. Seeing the real trains and short lines along the lines of dnrgrr and other places across the nation. I love the shays and climax and hysters at the museum in West Virginia. Old Spruce is a nice way to enjoy the day. Cass has lots of great engines they have restored to good running conditions. Anyway, that's my dreams. Hope yours are as well or maybe even better! I should...be back home tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes. Dan

Yey, back home!! Sore but happy to be back. Right now laying down waiting for pain pills to kick in. Back later, Smoke

I'm here but don't feel good at all. My neck hurts and my throat feels weird. Feels kinda like breathing through a tube. Hands shaking. i think it could be the steroids but don't know for sure. The pain pills take the edge off but not doing what it should. Hope this gets better soon.

I'm here but don't feel good at all. My neck hurts and my throat feels weird. Feels kinda like breathing through a tube. Hands shaking. i think it could be the steroids but don't know for sure. The pain pills take the edge off but not doing what it should. Hope this gets better soon.
Get some medical advice.

Back