How many engines do you own?

How many engines do you own?

• Total voters

Hunter2678

Wondering how many engines you currently own? Can you ever own too many?

I've been finding myself constantly looking (ebay) for that next neat, unique engine that I dont have yet?

Hunter2678:

I'm addicted to diesel locomotives and collect just about any locomotive who wheels ran in the Wisconsin Region. May they be DM&IR, GB&W, SOO, MILW, WSOR, SOO or C&NW to name a few with the exception of the Union Pacific. I started a locomotive roster ever since I purchased a C&NW #1663 locomotive to find out I already had one at home on the layout.

I'm nearing 100 locomotives on the roster.

Greg

Wow Greg thats impressive..Im at 12 right now with 3 more on the way..Im not restrictive on where my engines ran more interested in how they appeal to me on a cosmetic level. I do have some engines that I saw as a kid but other than that Ive collected engines so far that ran all over the country.

I only have 11 at the moment with 2 more on pre-order set to deliver in the summer. I don’t know if I will get too many more. Well at least till the AC4400s come out.

My most recent snag was a SD80mac CSX light future...that thing is a beast and will easily pull 25+cars

1551295621165.png

Last edited:
Over 80, although only 64 are actually on the layout right now. All HO scale ATSF diesels with a lone SLSF one used at my interchange. SD40-2's lead the pack with 16, followed by GP60's (all types, GP60M's, GP60B's included) with 11. All would have been active on their roster between 1978 and 1995 which is the time frame that I model.
Note that it will take Jerome a while to count his!o_O

Hunter, a little background on me. Been collecting since I was 14, I'll be 56 this Friday. I have a weakness for SWitchers. My last count of total engines was 402. I'd say currently it's somewhere around 420/430 total. :eek: I know, I have a sickness lol

Wondering how many engines you currently own? Can you ever own too many?
I think your poll needed more orders of magnitude. I've been collecting 58 years. All scales, but mostly HO. I sold off "all" my N-scale in the early 1980s.
  1. I have no idea. I started counting for the insurance people once and just ran out of time. I know I have doubled that number since then. The number recorded was 298 in 2013. That counts some AA, AB, and even ABA sets as 1 locomotive. Another big note is not nearly all of my equipment is recorded. I didn't start recording until 1996, and I've often forgotten to get new items into the list. Pretty certain I am in to the 4 digits.
  2. Yes, there is a point where there is no way to enjoy them all, no way to display them all, they just become things in boxes one is always digging through trying to find the one needed at the moment.
  3. No, there will always be the next neat unique engine that you don't own. I recommend getting some discipline up front and stick to it. That is, choose an era, road, geographic location, manufacturer (GE, GM, Alco,...), some intersection there of, or some other theme to limit what locos will be on the purchase list. I am now strongly in the camp where I belived a disciplined attitude toward a roster will be more satisfying in the long term, not to mention all that money you could spend on other things that do match the chosen theme.

Last edited:
I have two engines. One in service and one dead off on an abandoned siding. As a small narrow gauge line owner, I can't even imagine you guys that own more than one.

I have two engines. One in service and one dead off on an abandoned siding. As a small narrow gauge line owner, I can't even imagine you guys that own more than one.

See that's the other end of the hobby spectrum that I'm curious to hear about too...Its interesting to see how people think and rationalize their approach to 1 or 2 engines vs 30+..

I’m down to around 75, which is ten times more than I need, but a twentieth of my record high. Yes. Literally. A twentieth. That would be 1500.

Terry, you will always be my hero!!!! Now I can show my wife that I "don't" have the most toys. LOL

Now I can show my wife that I "don't" have the most toys.
That is kind of what got me started counting, aside from the insurance thing. The wife of a fellow from the club ask me how many locomotives I owned. She said her husband already had five and wanted to by another one! She said it as if it was the end of the world, and utter insanity. It was all I could do to keep from laughing. I told her I was certain I had more than 20 in one box and I had at least 5 boxes. I went home and started counting.

Last edited:
Truthfully, I don't know how many engines I own. Right now counting the "New" Budd RDC, there are 6 DC locos on the layout. There are about a dozen more on shelves for quick reach and many more stored in containers. I also have over 20 decoders sitting waiting to be installed in locos.

Boris

Im as serious as a heart attack when I say this, so to all you guys with heaps of N scale locos sitting in jewel cases in your basement pm me if your willing to offload any of the diesels in GP7,SD7,SD9, SD45,SD60, SD70/80/90 configurations..

Im as serious as a heart attack when I say this, so to all you guys with heaps of N scale locos sitting in jewel cases in your basement pm me if your willing to offload any of the diesels in GP7,SD7,SD9, SD45,SD60, SD70/80/90 configurations..
That’s what most of the 1500 were. I was forced to trade ‘em in on HO scale when I could no longer work on them. And the new sound equipped models have spoiled me.

Back