Atlas 543 switch does not match 18" radius curve

Tight Radii

Hi guys, I've got a small (33" w by 72" l) oval layout and I've got an issue with the dimensions of one of my switches.

My layout's curves are mostly 15 inch radius Atlas code 83 22.5 degree pieces, with a single 18 inch radius piece in each of the semicircles. The two 18 inch radius pieces are diagonally across the layout from each other, where a curved piece is missing in the picture and diagonally across from it in the lower left corner. I want to replace the missing 18 inch radius curve piece with a switch so that I can have a track continue straight off the board to connect to another module. I can't use a switch with a larger radius because of the width restriction. I also want to use off-the-shelf track pieces if possible.

Basically, my issue is that the packaging for the Atlas 543 Right Manual Snap Switch plainly says that it is a direct replacement for an 18 inch radius curve piece - and even shows this in a diagram - but it is most certainly not. You can see in the picture where I've laid an 18 inch radius piece on top of the switch that they're not even close to matching up.

I'm not married to Atlas, brand-wise. Peco and Hornby seem to make a 2nd radius 22.5 degree frog angle turnout, but both of those are code 100 rail.

Does anyone know of a code 83 switch/point/turnout that fits my needs?

IMG_20190211_195004204.jpg
IMG_20190211_195256225.jpg
IMG_20190211_194850402.jpg

Hi guys, I've got a small (33" w by 72" l) oval layout and I've got an issue with the dimensions of one of my switches.

My layout's curves are mostly 15 inch radius Atlas code 83 22.5 degree pieces, with a single 18 inch radius piece in each of the semicircles. The two 18 inch radius pieces are diagonally across the layout from each other, where a curved piece is missing in the picture and diagonally across from it in the lower left corner. I want to replace the missing 18 inch radius curve piece with a switch so that I can have a track continue straight off the board to connect to another module. I can't use a switch with a larger radius because of the width restriction. I also want to use off-the-shelf track pieces if possible.

Basically, my issue is that the packaging for the Atlas 543 Right Manual Snap Switch plainly says that it is a direct replacement for an 18 inch radius curve piece - and even shows this in a diagram - but it is most certainly not. You can see in the picture where I've laid an 18 inch radius piece on top of the switch that they're not even close to matching up.

I'm not married to Atlas, brand-wise. Peco and Hornby seem to make a 2nd radius 22.5 degree frog angle turnout, but both of those are code 100 rail.

Does anyone know of a code 83 switch/point/turnout that fits my needs?

View attachment 34282View attachment 34283View attachment 34284
I may be stating something you already know... if so forgive me. There is a 1-1/2 inch straight piece leading into the 'points' of the switch. You can see it when you overlay the 18" curve. One solution is to add that 1-1/2 inch to the front of the switch opposite (edit: or anywhere along the bottom straight), pushing the whole right hand curve 1-1/2 inches to the right. The other solution is to cut off the 1-1/2" on the switch, but tolerances are tight, and the points may not seat properly against the connectors....

The other solution is to cut off the 1-1/2" on the switch, but tolerances are tight, and the points may not seat properly against the connectors....
OR replace the 9 inch straight leading up to the turnout with 6" and 1.5" pieces, or cut the 9 inch straight leading up to the switch by said 1.5".

You notice in the Atlas diagrams they always use them in pairs that are in parallel with one another.

I was going to suggest you try a Bachmann EZ track turnout taken off its roadbed - but I am unable to locate my boxes of EZ track to verify that is a real solution or not.

A Peco short would be even worse since its departure angle is 9 point something degrees.

Back