Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all. 58°, and raining.

Louis, Max and Willie: Thanks for more great photos. The Pittsburgh streetcars are great. The one photo showed cobblestones the same color as the ones I am using on my model railroad. :)The NS Office car move brought back memories of my rides on the OCS Trains. I remember the pre NS, Southern Rwy used to keep their cars on #6 track at Washington Terminal. The cars were painted a deep, almost black, Pullman Green. The Southern was headquartered in Washington, although I believe operations were centered in Atlanta.

Yesterday, we ran errands. I bought a new TV at Costco, which replaced a ten year old TV that had startup issues, but once started worked fine. Spent the afternoon setting it up. What ever happened to plug and play?

Boris

Thanks for the details!

Smart move with the TV. My daughter will thank you for choosing Costco. I believe you can't go wrong at Costco, they have the best buyers and they buy only quality products. It's the only store I will buy something the first time I see it without comparison shopping. Even if I pay a few dollars more Costco always stands behind what they sell. Peace of mind is worth more than a few dollars and Costco is usually cheaper anyway.

These new all LED TV's use so little power it is amazing! I bought two 32" and the energy rating said they used $7 per year!

Plug n Play? There never was true plug n play so why bother? It was a good idea, but much harder to implement than expected.

Time for me to get ready for work Have I mentioned I love working? :) thank God I can!
Have a great day Everybody!
one for the road...
1548341925387.png

JIM, Willie, Louis -- All great photos! Willie, Garry beat me to the punch, but I picked up on the building under construction with the steel workers on top and the covered walkway over the sidewalk. Nice touch!

33 this morning, clear and calm! Heading to 75 high today!
I see that my daughter in Jacksonville, NC is getting hit with much rain this morning and Terry mentioned that it was raining there.

DAVE - Almost forgot - I know exactly where that Colorado photo was made. I drove up and down that road many times when I lived there - when the trees turn in the fall - it is really beautiful.

LOUIS - Thanks for that info - I will see if I am smart enough to make it work? Probably not!

Good morning. 14 degrees to start off the day with clear skies and an expected high in the low 30's. Got an additional 4 to 5 inches on top of the snow we got earlier this week. Had to dig a trail to the grill on the back deck yesterday afternoon so we could grill steaks. Will probably be truning some laps in the driveway with the plow later.

Spent yesterday working on my sons Dodge Durango. Put brakes on all around and put the lap top to it because of the check engine light coming on. Found a couple of bad sensors and it is running like new again.

Curt
- The grade crossing is coming along nicely. Waiting to see the finished product.

Jim -
Enjoyed the photos.

Willie
- Outstanding photos. Keep them coming.

Here's a rail picture for today.

514911789_8b93488b4a_b.jpg

Later

Good afternoon. It has stopped raining and is 51.

Some of you may remember I spoke about raises and benefits where I work, and was rather outspoken about the purchase of a truck instead of a raise.

The end result is interesting.
I ended up getting a 75 cent an hour raise.

And the truck to use for “official business”, so I no longer have to use mine.
The raise was “meh”, the benefit is pretty nice.

Attachments

• 04E73F69-D3FD-4D17-BCD1-79639F026E24.jpeg
    04E73F69-D3FD-4D17-BCD1-79639F026E24.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 137
Good afternoon. It has stopped raining and is 51.

Some of you may remember I spoke about raises and benefits where I work, and was rather outspoken about the purchase of a truck instead of a raise.

The end result is interesting.
I ended up getting a 75 cent an hour raise.

And the truck to use for “official business”, so I no longer have to use mine.
The raise was “meh”, the benefit is pretty nice.

Every little bit helps! Congrats on getting to use the truck!
My dad got to use the Companies truck to go to work with + other things - he generally had to sometimes pick up parts or supplies needed on the job. It was an oil field p/u, so was not Sunday clothes to ride in.

Louis: My Costco membership dates back to when they were still called Price Club. Never had a problem with anything I bought there. What's unusual, was that we were in two different Costcos in two days. Normally, we go there once per month.

Sherrel: I note that your morning low was 22 degrees colder than it was here in Jersey.

Terry: A raise is a raise, and a perk is a perk.

Willie: The building under construction, with the "Ironworkers" working on the steel is great.

The mistake, I spoke of yesterday was that I glued the sub road leading from the Purina Feed and Grain dealer to the main street across two modules. I compounded the problem by making a rough cut at the seam. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Politicians lie? Who knew?

Going to rain until dinner time, then get colder. I remember when I had to work in the rain. GP38s had a tendency to leak in hard steady rain.

Boris

Good Afternoon Everyone.............cold like 17 degrees and falling with a -10 or more below zero tonight with a Winter Chill Warning at 6:00 PM. Wild Chill factors of like -30 or more below. Burr! At least the new snow on the roof will act like a insulation coat to some extent.

Tomorrow more of the same so I plan a railroad day all day. Did a lunch and shopping with the Mrs. and now going to the den and watch Chicago PD all afternoon. Was going to Walthers today, but with the cold forgot it. I have enough supplies to keep me busy. A last resort is a Hobby Lobby that's close by.

No real plans for the railroad tomorrow and I'll just play it by ear.

No other reporting today.

Greg

#######################

Rail Car.jpg

Afternoon All,

Slept like doggie doo doo last night. I spent about an hour on the build today but I couldn't get motivated.

Terry- I'm glad something good came out of your injury.

Greg- Nice looking motor car.

Chet- I believe it's Joe who you meant.

Joe- Modern electronics ruined the concept of plug and play.

Willie- Thank you. Congrats on losing weight. I can't help but think you need a Pennsy train on your layout!:)

Louis- Great night shot at Altoona.

Max- I really like the CSX trestle. Is that the PA turnpike above it?

20190124_115754-980x2016.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Slept like doggie doo doo last night. I spent about an hour on the build today but I couldn't get motivated.

Terry- I'm glad something good came out of your injury.

Greg- Nice looking motor car.

Chet- I believe it's Joe who you meant.

Willie- Thank you. Congrats on losing weight. I can't help but think you need a Pennsy train on your layout!:)

Louis- Great night shot at Altoona.

Max- I really like the CSX trestle. Is that the PA turnpike above it?

View attachment 33690

I hope everyone has a good night.
Awesome looking weathering there, Curt!

The small town in Tasmania (Geeveston), where my Son And DIL live, has been evacuated because of the threat from a major fire, 40+C (104F) temps and high winds, driving embers onto it today (Friday). They are safe.
This is what the atmosphere has been like for days
1548371970484.png

Curt: True. What got me was that the first thing the TV asked for during set-up was my PayPal account number. Televisions have morphed from a home entertainment device into an instrument of commerce... BTW: I didn't enter my number, and it still worked. :rolleyes:

Chet: Curt was right, I'm doing the crossing. My first attempt at wood carving. :rolleyes:

I just finished installing new photo software in an attempt to create photo backdrops.

Boris

Oh no Toot, that's not good. Wish we could send you some of the monsoon we've been having !
Ray: That's bad! Karl's right, y'all could use some of our reoccurring rain.

Flooding rains, of recent times, we've been having too, just not where and when they're needed. The forecast down in Tassie now, is for the winds to occur this afternoon. Last report had the main fire about 6 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back