Removed

There for a minute I thought it had something to do with Metro North-the old NYC and NH commuter lines around New York City. My mistake.

Looks like a nice layout-a long way from the NYC area, however. How big is the layout? Is it in a fairgrounds of some sort? Do they ever host visitors from other clubs at other times of the year?

Impressive photos. That is quite the layout. Feel free to post more. I know I would like to see more.

I like the large open space you have. My club is in the basement of the baggage room in the old Northern Pacific Depot in Livingston, MT. We pay no rent as the depot is now a museum and the layout is considered part of the museum. The only problem we have is that the layout occupies three rooms and communications between operators can sometimes be a problem. We have a train show/swap meet once a year, coming up at the end of April. We will have the layout open to the public of course.. It is also open to the public during operating nights, Saturday from 7 to 9 PM year round and in the summer on Thursdays from 1 PM to 4 PM.

Great looking layout and an impressive size. I would love to join a large and run long trains over long routes.

Keep the photographs coming.

Greg

Very nice! And not too far from home. I see they have an open house coming up on 4/27, I think I'll swing by if we're not covered by yet another blanket of curse curse snow.

Do they have any Yellowstones?

I don't know is there are any for sale, but one member does run a Yellowstone on the club layout. The items for sale ae in the main depot and the club is in the basement below the wine shop just west of the main depot.

Ahhh, Thank you. I'm afraid my buying days are behind me now, I was just interested in seeing one running. I have an old Akane, but it's hard to run on my home layout because some of the curves are 22 in rad. Great video!

I have one in brass that I picked up over 25 years ago and painted for the Northern Pacific. Ran it at the club one time. Pulled like nobodys business on the grades at the club. I can run it on my home layout which I do on rare occasions just to keep the lubricants from hardening up, but my turntables are too short for it.

Nice to see some BN action with my morning coffee, thanx for posting Steve!
Also nice that you got to run too!

Congrats on being accepted into the club. Thumb up.gif They really have an exceptional layout. Enjoy!

I had undergone a bit of scrutiny before I was accepted into my club. It didn't take very long as all of my locomotives and freight equipment (most which is weathered) ran flawlessly. I am anal about my Kadee couplers as I do use magnets at home on my layout.

There are only 6 members in the club, including me and I really enjoy the members. No politics. There's not a large population in the area therefore not a lot of train modelers. I sure wish we had some sort of communications such as radios. The layout is in three rooms and as of now, it is a matter of hollering. Being that there aren't many members, money is a bit tight.

I like your Milwaukee Road equipment. The Milwaukee Road is one of the two railroads that operated in this area but no one in the club is operating any of their locomotives. I managed to pick up this BLI SD-9 from a friend on the forum which I will run at the club. I do have other Milwaukee Road locomotives at home, but the are DC which is which I run at home.

thumbnail_20190228_134153.jpg

I grew up with relatives working on the Milwaukee Road and spent many hours riding with them when I was a kid. Many HAPPY hours.

Hope you will post more photos of the club layout and maybe get a hold of a cab ride video of the layout.

Most of the equipment run at the club is BNSF, Montana Rail Link (Livingston is where the MRL shops are located) and Northern Pacific.

We are having the annual train show in the main Northern Pacific depot next weekend and the club will be open to the public and I have received a number of phone call wanting to know if I can make it. (I just had shoulder replacement surgery). I WILL make it. The club is open to the public when the layout is in operation. It is open on Saturday evening year round and during the summer, there is also an afternoon session on Thursdays. Unfortunately, for me it is a 50 mile trip one way over Bozeman pass which can be miserable in the winter. I also don't care to drive it at night. I'll be glad when the summer sessions begin.

Last edited:

Back