Royal Pacific Railway Layout....

Starting to look something like an open grid/cookie cutter layout:
open on the left and cookies on the right. I remember the first cookie cutter I did. It was only 1/2" plywood and I cut so long of a cookie down one side I almost ruined the structural integrity of the dough. Fortunately it was N-scale and only 2 feet wide, and by adding a couple more cross members I saved it.

Now because of this wonderful foam they have developed I am probably always and only going to be an open grid person going forward.

So this is where I am at the moment:

VEbHEd6.jpg

UurzcCW.jpg

MsBm1nf.jpg

Horseman, there are going to be a couple of places where I am going to have to insert risers a little closer together to support the "single lines" better and give them a little more rigidity. Needless to say, I need a few more cross members/bearers in some places for additional risers and they will be added once it is all cut out, ready to go and I can see exactly where they all need to be.

I still have 5 areas where the sub roadbed needs to be cut out so once that is done, I think it will look more like what it supposed to look like, hopefully :)

I'm also pretty lucky in that I only had to use three pieces of ply so I will have minimal joins and those joins will all be braced with the 3/8 ply, Titebond Wood Glue and Durham's filler/adhesive. All in all, in it should be pretty solid when complete I think.

Thanks mate, appreciate that. It is slow going but, unlike previous layouts of mine, I want this one to be right and right the first and done as well as I can possibly do it.

You'll always be learning Tony, but the learnings (things that could have been improved on) get more "liveable with". As it's been said "If you don't learn something new each day (I'll modify that to each month) you must be dead".

Agreed and with this build, I have learnt a lot as I have progressed. Mainly little things but things that add up. That is one thing I enjoy with this hobby, no matter how long (or short) you have been in it, there is always something new to learn or try.

Of course! :) Wouldn't that be a good way to finish the track work ... and have one of the trains trip "something" that set of fire works and streamers and stuff!

Gold spikes, fireworks, streamers, a celebratory crowd ... might be nice but am just glad it completed :)

Thanks KB02, a lot has been done I guess. Tomorrow I get the foam I need for the roadbed underlay so nothing more will be happening till then. Thank god the foams coming UPS and not USPS :)

Been a long week of lots of "real world" things to do; BUT, this evening I finally completed cutting it all out. It is now ready for the risers to be installed!

N7CwyNG.jpg

JZAePlt.jpg

c2UGmuc.jpg

oo1SDS3.jpg

The pieces of ply you see sitting on the frame are only there to be kept out of the way and will be removed sooner or later.

Back