Life-Like Proto 2000 SW-9 and S-1 gears

464hudson

I have recently purchased approximately 20 Life-Like Proto 2000 series locamotives that are the "Blue Box" version. These are New Old Stock items. I know that the BL-2 and the GP's may have a cracked gear issue. Does thw SW-9 and the S-1 locomotives have this same "cracked gear" problem.

Thanks,

It is possible with many of them, but nowhere near as likely as the 4 axle, Athearn clone models.
In fact, I just got three Proto Alcos from way back before they put 8 pin plugs in them, and the gears are fine in all three.

I have recently purchased approximately 20 Life-Like Proto 2000 series locamotivesthat are the "Blue Box" version. These are New Old Stock items. I know that the BL-2 and the GP's may have a cracked gear issue. Does the SW-9 and the S-1 locomotives have this same "cracked gear" problem.
Seems like the best way to find out would be to put them on a track and give them a test run.

My understanding of the cracked gear problem in the early Proto series is limited to the following locomotives...ones that that use the 584408 axle which includes the E8, FA1 & FA2, and the following GP series - 7, 9-II, 9-III, 18, 20 30 and 60.

I have many Proto locomotives and one, a GP-9 - Phase II that sees a lot of work on the layout over the past 7+ years and shows no signs of a gear problem. None of my Proto's have had any problems.

Here's the Walther's product codes for replacement wheel sets for a set of two:

920-584494 and 920-584408

Greg

Back