My adventures in Ho Scale.

migalyto

About 15 months ago I switched from N to Ho scale. I tore down my existing benchwork from the previous layout, and started over from scratch, claiming more space. I don't really have a track plan, but I'm loaded with Kato unitrack to get something up, and running quickly. in the future the plan is to sell off the Unitrack, and go to flex track. the beauty of the Kato track is I can set it up, and change it as I have already done several times. here is the space , and the proposed benchwork.
layout 1.jpg
layout 2.jpg
layout3.jpg

I don't really have a track plan, but I'm loaded with Kato unitrack to get something up, and running quickly. in the future the plan is to sell off the Unitrack, and go to flex track. the beauty of the Kato track is I can set it up, and change it as I have already done several times. here is the space , and the proposed benchwork.
I keep a huge selection of sectional track available just for this reason. Sometimes things look so different on paper than they do in real life. Easier to re-arrange alternate scenarios too.

That's the first thing I noticed about the train Toot. Here in the flatlands of Texas they don't use mid-train helpers so it was interesting to see buffer cars there as well. Have them at the end though so it makes sense.
Back to you Mike. Great work. Nice looking benchwork. Looks like lots of room for running and for industries if you like switching. Two options for the Uni-track after you convert to flex, 1) sell it as used; 2) rip the roadbed off and use it on sidings and lesser used track. There's other options as well.
Are you considering any type of ceiling? I have always read horror stories about dust issues with exposed beam basement ceilings. Even crude sheets of plastic stapled in place may help.

That's the first thing I noticed about the train Toot. Here in the flatlands of Texas they don't use mid-train helpers so it was interesting to see buffer cars there as well. Have them at the end though so it makes sense.
Back to you Mike. Great work. Nice looking benchwork. Looks like lots of room for running and for industries if you like switching. Two options for the Uni-track after you convert to flex, 1) sell it as used; 2) rip the roadbed off and use it on sidings and lesser used track. There's other options as well.
Are you considering any type of ceiling? I have always read horror stories about dust issues with exposed beam basement ceilings. Even crude sheets of plastic stapled in place may help.

Funny you mention a ceiling. My wife said the same thing about putting something up before anything becomes permanent. Your right then cobwebs, and dust are somewhat of an issue.

It was a video I had only recently found and fitted the bill. I also hadn't seen one featuring oil cans on MRL tracks, with other loads they don't use the buffers of course. Mrl uses it's own buffer box car on it's up to 30 tank Gas Local.

I have 21 ethanol, 8 oil, 6 chemical, another 8 P2K sulphur tanks (I likes the looks) and 5 clay slurry. We have a 30+Ft staging track for building long trains on (Club layout) and grades of 2+%. I usually use 2 on the point and 2 in the middle, have gone up to 6 in total when there's been only a couple of us there. Did 110 cars once. Because the layout itself is about 40'-45' long with a shorter return peninsular in the middle and scene dividers like the one you now have, train control is a challenge with that length, especially when one set of engines is going upgrade and the others are going downgrade. I run them on the finer 128 steps, with some momentum to smooth things out.

FWIW, I've used Unitrak for years, to get larger curves. I also have several MRL double track spacing blocks, which I used to add a double track, with flex track. Saves some time, I thought initially. Unitrak is Code 83, in HO, from what I recall, which could be a factor with some older equipment if you have any of that. My newer stuff hasn't had any problem with Unitrak, ever.

The "paper to table" conundrum. WHY does it not fit? The numbers are the same? LOL I dunno, man! Indeed, I will be setting up and re setting up my track a few times, just to "make sure" i'm not giving myself a self inflicted PROBLEM as we seem to do TOO often with our Layouts! just sayin.

Having a hard time getting organized for this next go round, outside work must be done before inside work can be done so layout work can begun! Weather is not playing nice, (rain) and I'm going to need at least an electric chainsaw to get the last four trees down, too big to handsaw, no room between the fences to swing an ax...stuck.

Good work, great ideas and just plain nice folks, love the forum, see ya later!

Back