Unique Flatcar Load

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Model railroaders seem to like unusual flatcar loads. Here’s a nice one for you.

This is a large Cat Dozer being shipped, most likely destined for export.

9B89EFB6-FD34-4665-8D36-B9C80FF40A57.jpeg

Here are a few flat car loads that I've done using stuff that's just laying around.
This first one is with a trashed BLI Track Mobile.

0824141934.jpg

This next one uses a Kibri kit for the load.

1125162018.jpg

This one uses an old turnout that didn't work anymore. I cut it in half then built the support system using Plastruct material and some small chain.
1206142143.jpg

You mean I've got to dismantle another Dozer down to THAT? Ah well. I guess it means more bits for another one or two flatcars.

You mean I've got to dismantle another Dozer down to THAT? Ah well. I guess it means more bits for another one or two flatcars.

It would be a fun project though. It all fits on on flatcar, if you look closely (sorry, it's a cell phone shot), you can see the treads on both ends of the car. I'm guessing the big box has the cab in it, and the other boxes are various parts like rollers etc.

Here's what it looks like when it's all together, it's a monster! Hmm, maybe it would take two loads, I don't see the blade, so maybe it shipped separately.

https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/dozers/large-dozers/18500099.html

It would be a fun project though. It all fits on on flatcar, if you look closely (sorry, it's a cell phone shot), you can see the treads on both ends of the car. I'm guessing the big box has the cab in it, and the other boxes are various parts like rollers etc.

Here's what it looks like when it's all together, it's a monster! Hmm, maybe it would take two loads, I don't see the blade, so maybe it shipped separately.

https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/dozers/large-dozers/18500099.html
When I was researching the loads in pictures or vids, they get shipped in all different configurations, sometimes the blades are carried in low sided gondolas as well. This display walk around shows a typical arrangement with both a D10T and D9R. I imagine the degree of construction completion depends on clearances for whichever railroad it's going to traverse.

Now that's a dozer!
I noticed though that you showed us the French model ... Reverse gears are faster than forward!

When I was researching the loads in pictures or vids, they get shipped in all different configurations, sometimes the blades are carried in low sided gondolas as well. This display walk around shows a typical arrangement with both a D10T and D9R. I imagine the degree of construction completion depends on clearances for whichever railroad it's going to traverse.

Wow, that would certainly make for a great model wouldn't it? Be a real challenge to do the custom paint on the loco though!

Wow, that would certainly make for a great model wouldn't it? Be a real challenge to do the custom paint on the loco though!
Athearn Genesis and maybe MTH do the HO loco. I have one of the Genesis, but they do it in a flat paint. The prototype as you can see is, or was, kept very glossy.

Back