First Night with the Digital Rebel XTi

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi everyone. I've got a lot more reading to do, but these are from the first night with the new Canon. They were shot in aperture priority mode to get depth of field. Some of the backdrop colors aren't right, so I've still got much to learn about editing RAW images too...

You photography guys please feel free to give me any tips you may have. :)

So far, I love my new toy!

F9_edited_Large_.JPG

Test_Pic_Medium_.JPG

Bridge_Shot_edited_Large_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Josh. I've never gotten anything close to that kind of depth of field with my old clunker P&S.

Those look great! Feel free to post more. Nice clear shots, good color, depth of field.. I'm gonna have to get a better camera...Thanks for posting ..
Mark

Looking great, can't offer any improvements from this end! Now that you can take quality photos, the rest will be in composition (not saying there is anything wrong with these). Anyone can take a picture, photographs have to be made/created.

Enjoy!

Mighty fine, Eric. What a difference!
I guess now you will be another danged show-off:p :D. That's ok, I love a good picture anytime...excuse me, photograph.:D

Eric, nice! What Cannon Rebel did you get? One thing I find with my Digital Rebel XT is that many photos look more realistic if I desaturate them slightly.

Here is a photo that I posted several months ago. It had some adjustments to the curves/brightness and contrast.

ArthurFarm01a.png

Here is the same photo with color correction (Yellow / blue curve moved a few points toward the blue due to the 2700°K lighting on the layout) and a little desaturation of the photo. I think it looks much more natural....Others may disagree. On many digital cameras, the color tends to be a bit bright and jump out at you making the models look toy like at times.

ArthurFarm01aw.png

Thanks for the comments everyone. :cool:

Ray, this is the 400D (XTi) version of the Rebel.

Aggro, 10 Mega Pixels

Whoa!
I've got one (or two, I can't remember) of those Huntsville RR cars.. My grandfather knows the guy.

Thanks for the comments everyone. :cool:

Ray, this is the 400D (XTi) version of the Rebel.

Aggro, 10 Mega Pixels

Way Cool!!!!! Man you can make a life sized poster with that baby! I haven't attempted to process anything in RAW yet. Let me know how the learning curve is.....:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Great choice Eric! I've discovered that using color-correcting bulbs in my photo floodlights is a big help, I never could figure out those camera settings.

...Nice clear shots, good color, depth of field.. I'm gonna have to get a better camera...

Mark, if the XTi gives you sticker shock, you can always go with an older model. My Rebel 300D is considered "ancient" now, it cost me $1000 in 2004 but now they are being listed on ebay for $250-300.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices drop FAST now. The DSC-R1 I bought is only $800 now, and the A100K (which is next on my list) is like $900 now, both started out at $1000! The A100K isn't even a year old yet.

Yes, prices drop fast. I know, my new camera, Canon PowerShot A640 will not be my last digital camera. My old Olympus Camedia 3000 didn't work. But I've still a few problems to get good close up pictures with my new camera. I'm exercising.

Wolfgang

Great choice Eric! I've discovered that using color-correcting bulbs in my photo floodlights is a big help, I never could figure out those camera settings.

Mark, if the XTi gives you sticker shock, you can always go with an older model. My Rebel 300D is considered "ancient" now, it cost me $1000 in 2004 but now they are being listed on ebay for $250-300.

The XT version is also a great camera that can be had for more reasonable prices. I found an XT new with an additional lens I wanted for about the price I paid for my XTi, but since electronics change so quickly, decided to go with the latest version. For most pics, I doubt the difference would be easy to distinguish between the original Rebel and the XTi.

Back