Changing Scales. What's the best way to get rid of HO stuff?

Marlin39

Making the switch to N from HO. Tough decision made. I contemplated On30 also, but I can do way more with the space I have in N. I sold off all my 60's and 70's era HO stuff long ago. Thankfully I only have 2 NIB engines and maybe a dozen NIB cars. I also have an NIB On30 engine and 3 cars to move also. Everything was purchased within the last year.

Would it be better to post them here, trade them in at the local shop for store credit, or deal with the BS on Ebay?

Thanks

What BS on Ebay? However, if you can swap hem at your LHS and get 50 cents on the dollar or more, I would go that way as it's one Fell swoop and your out.

I just went through this, except I went the other way N to HO. I had a lot of stuff to get rid of , and had to sell it off to frontload the cost of switching to HO. I sold some of it on other forums I'm members on, but most of it went on EBay. the stuff I sold on other forums, I didn't have to pay FVF, but the problem was the forums did not have the traffic that eBay had. I was lucky, and modeled modern present day, so my stuff went for 70-80% what I paid for it. I also had limited or sold out at dealer stuff that went for more than I paid for, so the FVF were a non issue, so not sue of any BS that is associated with EBay. All the fees are spelled out, and in years of selling and buying I only had 1 bad experience.

Another option would be to list on Craigslist, or there are Facebook groups too. I never went that route, so cant tell you how they would work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
What BS on Ebay? However, if you can swap hem at your LHS and get 50 cents on the dollar or more, I would go that way as it's one Fell swoop and your out.

AS A SELLER the fees have gotten out of hand, there's no recourse for sellers against buyers, conflict resolution is in the buyers favor, etc. I did a lot of selling on Ebay up to about 5 years ago. No more. I have always been a happy buyer though.

AS A SELLER the fees have gotten out of hand, there's no recourse for sellers against buyers, conflict resolution is in the buyers favor, etc. I did a lot of selling on Ebay up to about 5 years ago. No more. I have always been a happy buyer though.

All the fees are disclosed, Take lots of photos, describe all flaws, and be totally honest it really isn't a problem. I built the fees into the item!

All the fees are disclosed, Take lots of photos, describe all flaws, and be totally honest it really isn't a problem. I built the fees into the item!

I sold vintage firearm parts very successfully when the fees were a lot less. I know how to market what I sell.

I started everything at $1, ran it for 7 days, and made sure it ended on a Sunday afternoon around 6pm EST. Vintage tang and receiver sights could get bid up into the 100's of dollars...starting at $1. Never had a return, but had a lot of people claiming they never received or not as described even with proof of delivery and detailed photos. Dealing with the conflict resolution was a pain. Maybe dealing with train guys is different.:D

FWIW, people are pretty cruddy to each other. I just saw an article about a woman that returned a Christmas tree to Costco because it was dead. It was a precut tree that was clearly dead when she bought it, but they let her do it anyways.

I don't sell on eBay these days, but it does make me rather uncomfortable the degree to which eBay goes out of it's way to make things safe for the buyer at the expense of the seller. Scams can and do happen on both ends of transactions.

In addition to eBay, there's also other options to consider such a Craigs list or those various new sites that facilitate selling and swapping.

I guess you don't like selling on Ebay, that's fine with me!

I have 330 plus transaction on Ebay. I have really only been ripped off one time. The stuff I buy has pretty much been what has been represented. I am honest with everything I sell and have 100% positive feed back. Isn't the buyer always supposed to be right? If a buyer isn't happy with the item he bought, he pays the return shipment and I get to sell the item all over again. I don't necessarily believe in the goodness of mankind; but, my experiences have not been all that bad on Ebay!

That's about all I have to say on this matter. Marlin 39 was looking for help changing scales and I was only trying to help him. I have seen many people who are dissatisfied with Ebay for whatever reason. Obviously, there are many more people who feel it is useful. It is what it is!

I switched from a H0 to N-scale when I re-entered the hobby last year. I had some brand new Kato Unitrack still in their boxes that I bought from a local hobby shop in Burbank, California (The Train Shack). I asked them for store creidt, and to my surprise, they issued me store credit for the ORIGINAL purchase price!

I would say it's like selling a used car. It's easy to trade it in to the dealer, though you could make much more as a private sale. Personally, I would take the convenience of asking for store credit since I hate shipping things. Possibly do a combination of both.

I switched from a H0 to N-scale when I re-entered the hobby last year. I had some brand new Kato Unitrack still in their boxes that I bought from a local hobby shop in Burbank, California (The Train Shack). I asked them for store creidt, and to my surprise, they issued me store credit for the ORIGINAL purchase price!

I would say it's like selling a used car. It's easy to trade it in to the dealer, though you could make much more as a private sale. Personally, I would take the convenience of asking for store credit since I hate shipping things. Possibly do a combination of both.

I'm thinking the same way. Try the local shop for store credit and if it's not somewhat fair I can always post here.

Thanks

I feel your Ebay pain. Post some photos and descriptions on this site. No fees, except whatever Paypal has.

I wish PayPal was more secure too. I've had my credit card hacked twice through them. Nothings perfect. Sometimes crap just happens. I've gone to just having a "dump" bank account attached to it.

If I can't get store credit locally I will post here.

Back