Unpowered Remote Turnout Controls

Ironhead

I'm getting to the point where I need to make a decision on this subject. I'm very interested in the controls available from www.humpyard.com. They look and work great from everything I'm told. I've searched this topic but I'm not having any luck finding modelers who've posted complete tutorials online on how to build them from scratch... switches, levers, linkage, etc. I'd like to build them myself if possible, without having to reinvent the wheel. If anyone has a good link, please post it here. I will also be willing to post a tutorial on how I built my controls if I end up building a reliable and inexpensive alternative.

I'd think a simple draw bar connected to the lever, then connected to the trip pin, which can be set up similar to the way the pin works on a tortoise switch machine.

I'm getting to the point where I need to make a decision on this subject. I'm very interested in the controls available from www.humpyard.com. They look and work great from everything I'm told. I've searched this topic but I'm not having any luck finding modelers who've posted complete tutorials online on how to build them from scratch... switches, levers, linkage, etc. I'd like to build them myself if possible, without having to reinvent the wheel. If anyone has a good link, please post it here. I will also be willing to post a tutorial on how I built my controls if I end up building a reliable and inexpensive alternative.

I built the linkage from scratch. The white unit is a Rix's product. The Walthers product number is 628-6 (pivoting turnout linkage) If it's any help.

Note@ I attach the 3/4" wood block to the layout plywood under the switch.

NYC_George

switch_linkage_3.jpg

Knob
switch_linkage_2.jpg

I know this has been here a while, but I need to make something to throw turnouts also. The photos are a little too vague for me. I need to throw Shinohara turnouts. The idea of incorporating a SPDT or DPDT switch is a good idea for solid electrical connections to the track. Can anybody out there give me some more ideas or details? A website or photo?

I know this has been here a while, but I need to make something to throw turnouts also. The photos are a little too vague for me. I need to throw Shinohara turnouts. The idea of incorporating a SPDT or DPDT switch is a good idea for solid electrical connections to the track. Can anybody out there give me some more ideas or details? A website or photo?

I'm not sure what you want to do. The photo below is the control panel I made for one half of my layout. It controls both Shinohara and Peco switches using DPDT switches and tortoise switch machines.

If it's what your looking for, I need to make another for the other half. I'll go through the whole procedure step by step if you want.

NYC_George

nc_0031.jpg

The one negative comment on the HumpYard levers on the LC list (I think it was) was that they lever spring isn't as strong as some would like. Which means the pressure to hold the switch point tight against the rail isn't as strong as it should be. This might result in a wheelset picking the switch; Derail!

Which is bad news if the switch is in a tough to reach space, for rerailing purposes.

I don't recall anybody making any suggestions on how to fix this issue.

Kennedy

Not what I wanted

NYC_George,
Thanks for replying, but I need to design a linkage to the turnouts, similar to what you posted earlier. I'd prefer not to have to find the Rix prduct if possible. Your earlier photo doesn't show what holds the pin that sticks out the fascia. Is it just the snapping action of the Pecos? Shinoharas don't snap. I need a springing action of some kind in oder to keep the points in place. I'm trying hard to make something work. I don't really want to buy a bunch of Tortoises.:confused:

Wonderful idea

Gary,
Many thanks so much for noting my problem on the website and sending a terrific solution. You get an "A" for mechanical ingenuity!

JimmyG

Back