Passenger Station Diorama Part 2

tompm

I am beginning to work on the highway bridge. It is a kit made by Rixx.

psds21.jpg

Here are all the parts laid out.

psds11.jpg

I have begun to assemble the pier. Here is the foundation. I am planning on painting the pier after it is assembled. The parts didn’t want to stay on the spurs so I figured to go this way with it.

psds31.jpg

psds41.jpg

When I was in the N-scale planning stage, I figured to buy about 12 of those. Then I figured, I buy one and scratch 11. Lot Cheaper that way.

I am continuing to assemble the pier for the highway bridge.

psdt_0011.jpg

Here is the pier cap

psdt_0021.jpg

psdt_0041.jpg

Back to the diorama itself.

I have pretty much finished the foliage. I add foliage, fine leaf foliage, and clump foliage to the trees along the side of the station.

psdu_001.jpg

I also completed the last section

psdu_002.jpg

psdu_003.jpg

The next few shots are some overall photos of how the diorama now looks with the foliage pretty much complete.

psdu_004.jpg

psdu_005.jpg

psdu_006.jpg

When I was in the N-scale planning stage, I figured to buy about 12 of those. Then I figured, I buy one and scratch 11. Lot Cheaper that way.

I think I may have been luckier than you. So far I have needed only one of these. They are hard to find in the LHS around here.

Here are the supplies I use in making my scenery.

All materials are from Woodland Scenics
psdwsa_001.jpg

Fine Leaf Foliage
Olive Green F1133
Dead F1134

psdwsa_002.jpg

Fine Leaf Foliage
Dark Green F1130
Medium Green F1131

psdwsa_003.jpg

Tree Kit 2 ½” to 4” Pines TR1104

psdwsa_004.jpg

Tree Kit ¾ “ to 3” Trees TR1101

psdwsa_005.jpg

Tree Armatures Deciduous ¾ “ to 2” TR1120
I used left over clump foliage from the other tree kits.

psdwsa_006.jpg

Flowering Foliage
Yellow F176
Purple F177

psdwsa_007.jpg

Foliage
Light Green F51
Medium Green F52

psdwsa_008.jpg

Foliage
Conifer Green F54

psdwsa_009.jpg

Clump Foliage
Medium Green FC683
Not pictured (leftover from Tree Kits)
Light Green FC682
Dark Green FC684
Conifer Green FC185

Now here are some photos of my trying to figure out how the bridges will look and what I need to do.

psdv_001.jpg

psdv_002.jpg

psdv_003.jpg

psdv_003.jpg

Some things I discovered from this is that I am going to need to do a cap for the abutment. Also I can’t paint the highway bridge pier until I have the abutment finished because I will have to adjust it’s height.

Using some light weight spackle and some wood I made a cap for the abutment. I need the cap to provide a flat even area for the bridges to rest on. Also the beams on the highway require a stepped abutment.

psdw_001.jpg

psdw_002.jpg

Next I painted the cap with Folk Art Linen.

psdx_001.jpg

psdx_003.jpg

Now I need to set the highway bridge pier height and paint the highway bridge. I also can begin the other creek bank and the island for the trolley bridge pier. After looking at the trolley bridge pier I think I need to paint it some.

I have now painted and assembled the highway bridge.

psdy_001.jpg

psdy_002.jpg

psdy_003.jpg

The bridge was airbrushed with Folk Art Linen thinned 1:1 with blue windshield washer fluid. The beams were airbrushed with Folk Art Amish Blue thinned 1:1 with blue windshield washer fluid.

Next I weathered the bridge and added the double yellow lines.

psdz_001.jpg

psdz_002.jpg

psdz_003.jpg

I weathered the pavement by:
Painting it with Folk Art Licorice thinned 1:1 with blue windshield wiper fluid.
Wiping off the paint with a paper towel.
Painting it with Folk Art Linen thinned 1:1 with blue windshield wiper fluid.
Wiping off the paint with a paper towel.
I then added the yellow lines with a yellow paint pen that I traced along a beveled ruler.
Next using Folk Art Light Gray I added some concrete patches.
With Folk Art Licorice I added some oil droppings.

The beams were weathered by dry brushing Americana Burnt Sienna for Rust and Folk Art Charcoal Gray.

The parapets were weathered by dry brushing Folk Art Charcoal Gray.

Folk Art Licorice was dry brushed on the beams and parapet over the track area to simulate smoke and exhaust stains.

Lastly the entire structure was painted with a wash of Folk Art Charcoal Gray thinned 4:1 with blue windshield washer fluid.

The diorama has now officially moved into another stage of construction. Work has begun on the outside creek bank. I took a bunch of pink foam and glued it in place.

psd1a_001.jpg

psd1a_002.jpg

psd1a_003.jpg

I also began painting the trolley bridge pier. Here it is covered in Folk Art Clay Bisque which will be the mortar color. Next color the stones.

psd1a_004.jpg

The pink foam is now cover with plaster coated paper towels. Pictures coming soon. Next will be smoothing out the ground with a layer of plaster of Paris.

I have placed paper towels that were dipped in a “wet” plaster of Paris mix over the foam pieces in order to start shaping the ground.

psd1b_001.jpg

psd1b_002.jpg

I have placed paper towels that were dipped in a “wet” plaster of Paris mix over the foam pieces in order to start shaping the ground.

psd1b_003.jpg

psd1b_004.jpg

Back