Fun Valley Line Photos

This is my 24'x24' layout that I refer to so much. The era is late 50s to early 60s and you could say it lays somewhere between Virginia and Pa. as there is no prototype.

I started March 2005 and need to do some updated pictures but that will have to wait a week or two do to time constraints.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I had a link here but it no longer exists so I am inserting the pictures.

This is headed in from the walkthru at the work area.
2603.jpg

This is to the left and the pictures follow around the room.
140d.jpg

81a9.jpg

6319.jpg

1171.jpg

7dc6.jpg

22b1.jpg

613f.jpg

The last 2 are looking from the windows back toward the entrance and work area.
add9.jpg

9002.jpg

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice!...Thats huge!...Nice rounded edge board work...You have a great location for a layout.

Thank you I built a 3 bay shop and wasnt much more to put an isolated room above it. And it is just beyond shouting distance from the house.

Awesome layout, though that 6% grade comment worries me a tad.

Worried me a bit at first but was well tested on a temporary setup. The outside loop is 6% on the sides between the curves and 4% at the walkthru end and flat at the trestles. It is also a dedicated loop for the purpose of a constant running passenger train that stops at 2 stations.

My "Mallet" and "Big Boy" pull it fine with up to 5 PRR passenger cars and a light caboose.

Thanks for posting!!

2% is a good limit and that is what I have on all the other lines. I just had to have a tall trestle and usually run an engine and couple passenger cars and a caboose on the 6%. I have found most people that visit like movement and I fire that one up as they come in the door. With 2 other main lines I have plenty of room to operate while that one does it thing.

There is a lot of work done there...and material, too. It looks like you have done a fine bit of construction. Have you been able to time a scale speed around the layout yet?

There is a lot of work done there...and material, too. It looks like you have done a fine bit of construction. Have you been able to time a scale speed around the layout yet?

I am good bit beyond these picts and hope to update this weekend. I haven't scaled speed as of yet. Dad and I like to run the trains slower because we like switching ops. However all the track has passed a full speed run with the 2-8-8-2 and a couple different combo of asst cars. {I know not realistic but my hope was if a kid was at the throttle and got out of control there may be hope}

I do know that I kept track of the flex track and switches used and there is 8.8 scale miles of track.

Thank you all for posting. You are all confidence boosters that I need right now.

Here are some updated photos that never got posted. Partially because I didnt do it and partially because yahoo made a mess of my photos. Hope you enjoy.

Gravel in the yard.
Pictures3-10-7063.jpg

Scenery on the Mountain.
f3ab.jpg

Some rock outcroppings and trees.
Pictures3-10-7064.jpg

and some backdrops.
100_0487.jpg

Wow! Monster layout and what looks like some nice scenery developing. You might want to start bundling those wires under the control panel and getting them up out of the way. Nothing worse than crawling under the layout and ripping out a days worth of wiring work. :)

Back