I've g.o.t t.h.e S..L...O....w.....s.......

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Does anyone else's layout move slower than a Climax in low running uphill in an ice storm?

I've had my design done for almost a month and all I've gotten done is the track lighting. My next step is getting rid of some furniture, and although it is nice stuff, no takers. But until I get it out of the way, I can't get in there to do the backdrop. Now I figure that will take a couple weeks to paint. Then I can start the cabinets and shelves that will form the base of the bench work.
At this rate, I'll be running trains in 2010.

The only plus here is that at least the town of Rock Ridge is progressing.

Oh yes. I'm working on the backdrop right now and it's taking forever to get stuff painted.

I've hit that point where it's just a bit discouraging how long everything is taking.

Don't bother about that Chip. I think you'r "moving faster" than I am. I ( we)working on 2 modules for our N scale modulelayout. The trackplan is just finished for a month. We worked on it for almost half a year and the idea of it goes back for over a year( 2006 januari)(> we< so more than one person..)the modules are only 3 feet X 1 feet and 4 inches.....and have to be made too...
I have to order the tracks, turnouts, flexrails, etc. so actualy still no modules with chemical industry on it( Dutch States Mines from the 1970 ies...in N scale) Hope it will be looking like the attached picture...some day..:eek:

Ah, chip..... My layout isn't called the S. L. O. & W. for nothing you know. I started this layout 25 years ago when I moved to Geneva. Trackwork is about 95% done, scenery is at 10% finished...... Yep everything on the SLO&W moves at a snails pace. At one time I was considering only having Shays and Climaxes for motive power, but I figured that was a little too SLO&W even for me.

Don't bother about that Chip. I think you'r "moving faster" than I am. I ( we)working on 2 modules for our N scale modulelayout. The trackplan is just finished for a month. We worked on it for almost half a year and the idea of it goes back for over a year( 2006 januari)(> we< so more than one person..)the modules are only 3 feet X 1 feet and 4 inches.....and have to be made too...
I have to order the tracks, turnouts, flexrails, etc. so actualy still no modules with chemical industry on it( Dutch States Mines from the 1970 ies...in N scale) Hope it will be looking like the attached picture...some day..:eek:

But where would you leave all those trees in a setting like that?
LOL

Regards,

René

My layout is like driving a sports car on a road full of potholes and detours. Once in a while I hit a stretch where I can spend 20hrs/week for a month or two; then suddenly, family stuff begins to happen and of course they take priority and I'm lucky if I can spend even 1hr/wk on MRR stuff. I've learned to live with that.

The toughest part is when I'm accustomed to having lots of free MRR time and suddenly I don't - then I get the "1-hour-is-not-enough" blues and stop working on the layout altogether (kinda happened last fall).

You think your is going slow,,, at times my construction is in reverse gear,,,but we'll get there in the end.

I think we're all at that pace sometimes. I think the only real progress I really make weekly is adding some small detail to one locomotive, or buying another new project.

Yep! Happens to the best of us!...I get spurts when stuff flies and then drags...I get bored of one area or lost for ideas and get involved with another area, and when I come back to it all falls together. Some club nights I don't want to start an idea because I know we're only there another hour or so and my idea will take along time to just start...LOL..One thing I learned over the years is: "Unless you build layout to sell to someone else, your NEVER done with one!" ;) That something the newbies gotta learn...their never done,,If they were, we'd have nothing to do!

..."Unless you build layout to sell to someone else, your NEVER done with one!" ;) That something the newbies gotta learn...their never done,,If they were, we'd have nothing to do!

Absolutely! Why else do you think Tony Keoster has torn down and rebuilt 3 world-class layouts already?:D

Hey my progress has been backwards, nearly had all the benchwork up and part of the main laid, HAD to pull it all to bits!!

Ken.

Ken, Jos made you a plan, just start on the structures and have them already for when you move. You can be moving forward while you wait.

no places for trees

Rene:
But where would you leave all those trees in a setting like that?
LOL
I know: chemical industries and nature/trees don't fit together :mad: most of the time....( in those days: 1960-1970!!);) lol too:D

Jos

Ken
Ken, Jos made you a plan, just start on the structures and have them already for when you move. You can be moving forward while you wait.
My reply: Like the members of the British Parlaiment always "scream" HEA, HEA, HEA! when they agree

Steve B :BTW I don't now if I wrote the words: "Hea Hea Hea" in the right way but they sound like that here on television at the Continent:rolleyes: :eek:

Jos

Chip, I was stuck in the slows all last summer. I had managed to get the benchwork and splines done, and then I had to do other things for about three months. During that time, as you have lamented at times about your own situation, I had nothing except a small piece of plywood on which I hooked up about a total of 6' of track with a couple of turnouts arranged in a simple switchback. That was what I had from April to October. Yeuch.

It has been a long process for you, I know, since other priorities have impeded your hopes.

I look forward to photos as you begin the Big Push.

-Crandell

Don't worry spacemouse, I have a layout that is a little smaller than 2 x 4 feet and it's only half way finished and I have has it for a year or so now.

This is top secret information but: It's called being a model railroader.

-Smoke(who's gonna get fired for leaking info.)

Back