Engine won't stop in reverse with MRC wireless throttle!

Deane

I'm assuming this is a unique situation and no one else will have experience with the issue, but I'll toss it out here anyway just in case.

I have a Broadway Limited GE AC6000W engine that won't stop when running in reverse when the control is turned clear down to zero. It will stop normally going forward. All other functions appear normal. When running in reverse, it continues at whatever speed it was set to before I turn the knob to zero.

A few specific facts:

I just purchased the engine used.
Controller: MRC Prodigy2
Wireless Throttle
Tethered Throttle
Only this engine has the issue

The problem occurs with the Wireless Throttle only. The engine functions normally with the tethered throttle. All other of my DCC engines function normally with either throttle. All other functions of the GE AC6000W appear to be normal with the wireless throttle. Pushing the "Stop" button does stop the engine.

I have no idea what to look for. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Deane

Last edited by a moderator:
Would seem to suggest a fault in the AC6000W's decoder not recognising that particular command, or not acting on it. As the other locos are acting on that command, suggests that rules out the cab or command station.

I did a factory reset and discovered it worked normally on "3". So, i programmed it back to #7541. Same old problem. Then, I recalled an old thread somewhere commenting on it not working on that number. I changed it to #7540 and it worked normally. Changed it to #7542 and it worked normally. Back to #7541 and failure.

Now that I recall reading about this previously, I'm thinking maybe it's an inherent issue with the decoder.

That is a weird one, What RRoad is the engine? Better ask BLI for a shell with an alternative number :confused:

It's Union Pacific. I purchased the engine used so I doubt BLI will get too excited about it. I know I read a thread a few months ago where someone else was having the exact same issue.

I'll contact BLI support. My guess is that they might have an idea what is happening.

I did a factory reset and discovered it worked normally on "3". So, i programmed it back to #7541. Same old problem. Then, I recalled an old thread somewhere commenting on it not working on that number. I changed it to #7540 and it worked normally. Changed it to #7542 and it worked normally. Back to #7541 and failure.
It there another throttle somewhere set on 7541? Sounds like you only have two. Perhaps a throttle's memory set on 7541? Two throttles on the same channel can cause a similar no-reverse control type issue.

If not that, is 7541 in a consist that needs to be cleared?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe it's possible the number is in another throttle. I've cleared throttles, disconnected them, etc. It can't be in a consist since I just got the engine and have programmed no consists with it.

Several things stand out to me. The problem existed before I ever took the wired throttle out of the box on the shelf where it was stored. I took it out to try it after experiencing the problem with the wireless throttle. That's when I discovered the wired throttle worked, the wireless didn't. However, the wireless throttle works normally with the numbers on either side of 7541 and with all other engines.

Each throttle has it's own assigned cab number. Another thing that stands out in my mind is having seen a post on another thread somewhere that the person was having similar problems with a four digit number, but normal operation on the number on either side. It could have been the same number.

I've done about everything, including taking the batteries out of the wireless so it completely cleared of anything left in it (I assume).

Good suggestion Terry. I first changed a Broadway Limited engine to that number and the same thing happened. I then took a brand new Athearn Genesis out of the box and assigned it that number. Same problem. None will stop in reverse when programmed to that number.

The wired throttle is put away in a box and not plugged in. It was in that condition when I first got the 7541 engine and the issue existed before plugging the wired throttle in.

Does anyone know if the 7541 number is stored in the MRC controller? Perhaps it needs a reset of some sort.

The fact that this problem seems to exist on different brands of engines would indicate it has to be somehow involving the MRC equipment.

I'll have to dig out one of my NCE equipped, NCE programmed locos, see if it does it with that on radio.

...The problem occurs with the Wireless Throttle only. The engine functions normally with the tethered throttle...

...The fact that this problem seems to exist on different brands of engines would indicate it has to be somehow involving the MRC equipment.

The fact that it only does it with the wireless throttle and the loco works fine with the tethered one also points to it being a controller problem and not the decoder. The first thing to do is make sure you have the most recent version of the wireless controller firmware. I remember when MRC's wireless controllers first came out, there where certain addresses that they simply did not work with and they updated the firmware to fix the issue. If this issue is related the firmware update may fix it, or you may have found a new issue.

Back