noch static gras.

jt5

i'm statrting my new shelf layout in n scale and i was wondering about whether or not the new noch static gras is worth the 130 dollar price tag i've only got a shelf layout 2ft wide by 8ft L shaped interurban railroad. and it's not very cost effective but if it would make the grass look really realistic im willing to buy it. has anyone used it and was it worth it or not.

Heck, i got one of those bug zappers,,, static grass maker to be

René, how does it work, do you earth the layout or something

Hello jt5 If it is worth depends on what you expect to have on your layout. I mean how realistic do you want to model "the green stuff". With other words: how realistic are you trying to model the vegetation( in scale N)
If you visit MRRexebitions: make some pictures( macro!) with some N preisermen on it( a lawn made with static grass) Than you can see/watch how it looks like.
If you want to use the NOCH grassmaster you have to practicise to learn how to use it with different types of grass. Otherwise , if you use only one type of grass, you'll have a layout with smooth english golf lawns, To give it a naturul real (rough) touch you have learn some skills with that "grassmaster. Some people also use the airbrush to give the grass the final" natural look" tuch....
But if I were you... I wouldn't buy this "grassmaster" from Noch for your own....May be there are some other MRRfriends in your neighbourhood so you could share the costs....?
About the results of this grassmaster I am ,always too, amazed how many people make almost real grasslands and other vegetationtypes with this "machine". Like Josh wrote it stands upright just like in real.
Myself, I use Woodland stuff( fine turf) on my N scale layout and on the pictures I take it doesn't disturb wether it is "just"fine turf...
At the end: like the whole MRR it is a matter of taste? is it...

Jos

Heck, i got one of those bug zappers,,, static grass maker to be

René, how does it work, do you earth the layout or something

Bug zappers can be used the same way you would use the Noch Grass master. Most zappers are powered by two 1.5 volt batteries, output around 1500 volt (considerably less than Noch's 9 volt to 15,000Volt) and yes you do need earthing (grounding)as with Noch's Grass master. If you can find the right teastrainer or sieve, remove the metal frame from the zapper and wire the sieve and the ground wire from the board in the handle.

The electrostatic effect of the grass can also be achieved by using small plastic spice or seasoning containers, shake and press the container to blow the grass out.

Regards,

René

PS Keep away from children.

René Thanks for that, i didn't see the strainer, i thought it was just a hoop, i'll have to give it a try

Static Grass / Flocking Applicator (alternative to NOCH Gras Master)

Just wanted to share that I had tried building my own static grass tool, I tries the cheaper "sieve and fly swatter" version, which worked fine, then decided to build the larger more powerfull version with the negative ion generators (these are hard to find) tried a kit built one first, then sourced some higher voltage ones. Again, this worked fine and with nothing to compare it too i would say it was just as good as Noch's £130 version.

HOWEVER - After trying the Gras Master at a local shop, i was suitably impresse as the additional power (15kv) certainly makes a difference when comparing results. So, I decided to buy one despite the high price tag.

But wait... Whats this i see on a well know auction website, but a more powerfull and cheaper static grass applicator "The GrassTech II" (also available at www.grasstech.info )

I decded to order one of these and WOW! - This tool operates at 18kv and upto 21kv if you use the 12v adaptor! (All this high voltage sounds scary, but it wont kill or hurt you, just makes you do a sily dance if you touch the wrongs bits!)

I immidiatley took it into my local model shops and they are now stocking it as they feel it is much better, and they are selling 3 times as many as the noch version as it is more affordable. I have also seen the tool for sale at some exhibitions here in the UK as well as in the Janurary edition of Railway Modeller magazine.

Anyway, not to sound like a saleman! - just wanted to share my excellnt find with others incase they want to purchase a powerfull tool but are on a budget,

Paul

It's still nearly $120 US, and that's before any shipping. It may well be a great device, but I used a torn window screen, a $7 flyswatter and had to eat a big plate of nachos* to make mine. Until I can afford to throw money away, I'll keep using my homemade applicator.

* the big tub of sour cream I used for the flocking reservoir had to be emptied somehow!

I recently heard Heki, another european scenery maker is also making thier version of a static grass applicator. Supposed to be an improvement over the Noch unit. And a bit cheaper.

i'm statrting my new shelf layout in n scale and i was wondering about whether or not the new noch static gras is worth the 130 dollar price tag i've only got a shelf layout 2ft wide by 8ft L shaped interurban railroad. and it's not very cost effective but if it would make the grass look really realistic im willing to buy it. has anyone used it and was it worth it or not.

I use a regular Kenmore vacuum.
I usually wait about 15 to 20 minutes after the glue has been applied, but the best way is to have an indicator on the side - I use a piece of cardboard and smear some glue on it (about four square inches) at the same time I'm doing it on the layout or diorama and apply a little grass on two square inches. I watch for the glue to get to the sticky stage. If my finger sticks to it, but leaves no glue on my finger, it is usually ready, but to be sure, I vacuum it to test it. The trick is not to vacuum side to side. Come from above and go down about three quarters of an inch from the surface so not to suck up too much. Repeat this up and down over the area. I tape 4 to 5 toothpicks around the end of the hose that extend to three quarters of an inch to play it safe.
I like the idea of the bug zapper better. Wish I knew of it before.

Here is a Static Grass applicator I made for less than twenty bucks and it is more powerful than the Noch monster and far less cheaper. I did a small patch of grass to ck it out and I was very pleased with the results. This guy will actually make your hair stand on end if you pass it near your nogin,

Terry in Florida

grassinator.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed an order for the Oatley Electronic Negative Ion Generator .. so whenever it gets here I'm make my own also.

Here is a Static Grass applicator I made for less than twenty bucks and it is more powerful than the Noch monster and far less cheaper. I did a small patch of grass to ck it out and I was very pleased with the results. This guy will actually make your hair stand on end if you pass it near your nogin,

Terry in Florida

grassinator.png

Can you give us some insight on how you made it?

ChevelleSSGuy

What Steve58 said! That is the exact article I used to make the applicator. A pretty simple, straight forward assembly.

Terry in Sunny Florida

Back