DC power pack

ok-- while working on laying track on my n scale door project, I somehow dropped my life like transformer (I know I know-- but it did work anyway). So I need to replace it. Running a single n scale engine at this point and was wondering if anyone has experience with the MRC Railpower 1300. (looking to do it on the cheap at this point-- 70 years old you know). Is there a better option?

Thanks for any input!

Mike

So sir are you saying there is not much difference between DC controllers-- one brand is about as good as the other-- I wouldn't be surprised if they are all made in the same factory in China just with differnet names!!

Thanks for your input!

Mike

So sir are you saying there is not much difference between DC controllers...

Actually, there is quite a bit of difference.

... Just about any transformer will work as long as it is DC.

Look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Vintage...255371?hash=item3acb9e588b:g:IS0AAOSwEjFXeTgX

The ones in that link will work, but I would not use them. They are simple rheostat throttles - a transistor throttle will give you much better control, especially at low speeds. I don't have any experience with the Railmaster 1300 or 1370, but I do believe they are transistor throttles, which would make them much better than the ones in that link.

So sir are you saying there is not much difference between DC controllers-- one brand is about as good as the other-- I wouldn't be surprised if they are all made in the same factory in China just with differnet names!
No not really MRC stands out in the mass markets as a better brand. I have a couple of the bigger O and G-scale versions of the Railpower unit. I think mine is a Railpower 9500 or something like that. I really like them. Last night I was going to re-post a photo of them in service on my Christmas Forest layout 3 years ago, but I can't find the post the photo was in... Might have even been in a weekly photo fun thread. Oh well. I have at least 10 MRC packs. The one I got in 1964 failed about 10 years ago. It was an Ampack, that would have been 40 years of hard service. All the others are still going strong.

Ha! Found it. 3rd page, 24th post, 4th picture down. MRC is very well represented. I'm thinking Louis never saw this thread as he didn't comment and usually does for things like this.
www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?33347-Wpf-12-23-12-30

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Gentlemen, there are huge differences in quality and cost. Mike's post indicated that he was looking for a cheap alternative. That's what I was trying to do is get him running again with minimal cost.

In my opinion, anything with MRC on it is going to be superior to anything else. They have many inexpensive products.

Willie

Since they started using more sophisticated circuit boards (even DC lighting boards) instead of just wires or metal strip contacts from wheel pickups direct to motors and lights, the advice has been to avoid the old rheostat controls because of irregular voltage delivery. DCC is more sensitive. The HO Tsunami sound decoders warned against damaging those decoders with rheostats because of that fault.

Thanks all-- I do appreciate every ones thoughful replies! Will probably go with the inexpensive MRC at this point. Obviously if I stay alive long enough (at 70 i have survived cancer twice and one stroke) to enjoy my hobby, I will need to go with DCC which is completely different in the power department!

Blessings, Mike

Back