Converted my new E unit today

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Went to Alexandria today to have castings made of my feet so they can make some shoes for me. $300 a pair! Glad I'm not paying it. That's all Uncle Sam.

On the way back, I raided the LHS. Picked a new #6 turnout for the maintenance facility and also picked up a Proto 2000 E7. After I got home, I took care of a few things that needed attention, then started in on the E7. I got an old Bachmann out that has a bad motor, stripped the DCC decoder out of it and transplanted it into the E unit. All I wanted was motor control, so I left the lights hooked up to the light board. This means they'll be on all the time, but I don't care. Got the decoder wired in, put the locomotive on the track, fired up the DCC unit and put the power to it. It runs great! The slow speed performance and crawl is phenomenal. It can crawl at 2 - 3 scale mph with no problem at all. The top speed is a scale 60 mph. I'm gonna pull the decoders from my other Bachmann's as they die off and convert my E6 and E8.

the o'l bachmann is dying of eh? lol no chance fo lease but scrap yard?
are they spectrums?

Why not three pics.

e7dcc1.jpg

This is when the decoder was being wired in.

e7dcc3.jpg

After the shell was put back on.

e7dcc4.jpg

At the maintenance facility awaiting new paint. I think I'll go for KCS black (60's scheme).

I like the level of detail on it. There's an E7 A-B set there at the LHS, it's coming home with me next month.

nice, i love e units since i model the U.P. in the transition era i look for nice running units, but i must admit i love big steam i have 2 big boys and 2 challangers and an 800 so i need alittle room on my layout:D

Back