Help Me Plan My Layout

That size layout go straight to the NCE Power Pro 5 amp system and skip the Procab, not enough juice!

You are right and I am wrong. I have the wireless Power Pro 5 ( I also have a pro cab. ) The 5 amp puts out some serious juice for your layout. :D

You are right and I am wrong. I have the wireless Power Pro 5 ( I also have a pro cab. ) The 5 amp puts out some serious juice for your layout. :D

Naw, naw, it's not about the right or wrong, it's about the POWER! LOL! I had the Procab and it lasted maybe a week before I just needed more! I have not hooked up my wireless throttle but I'm about to, they work good? I was so busy laying track I forgot I had the darned thing and here I am complaining my feet were sore from walking back and forth now that I'm running trains. Thanks for the reminder!

That size layout go straight to the NCE Power Pro 5 amp system and skip the Procab, not enough juice!

Thanks for the input. I read the manual for the Roco Z21. It says the output is just over 3 amps. Which would get me going. Since at the present time I have exactly zero DCC locos. Then they offer a 3 amp booster that you can add for a total of 6 amps. Want more power? Add more boosters.

Thanks for the input. I read the manual for the Roco Z21. It says the output is just over 3 amps. Which would get me going. Since at the present time I have exactly zero DCC locos. Then they offer a 3 amp booster that you can add for a total of 6 amps. Want more power? Add more boosters.

And more wiring which is an invitation for a trouble spot! Less connections=less troubles in the long run! I have a booster standing by but have not needed it and may sell the thing eventually. I'm running as many as 9 loco's with lights and sound with loads on grades ALL at once and no troubles except traffic control!

I have seen threads on various forums complaining about every single control system out there EXCEPT NCE!

And more wiring which is an invitation for a trouble spot! Less connections=less troubles in the long run! I have a booster standing by but have not needed it and may sell the thing eventually. I'm running as many as 9 loco's with lights and sound with loads on grades ALL at once and no troubles except traffic control!

I have seen threads on various forums complaining about every single control system out there EXCEPT NCE!
That's good to know as I have a wireless NCE system to install on my new layout i want to start soon. 12x16 dbl deck, around the wall.

The aerial for the NCE transmitter is best located on the ceiling, upside down to get the most efficient signal spread. On a very big layout another could be added.

Update:
Track laying begins with the canned good express!!! I even ran one of my old DC trains on some of the track to test it out. It was a milestone, first train run on the new layout.

P1050355.jpg

Installed a couple of turnouts with the Tortoise switch machines, amazingly enough I got them to work!! The main bus line is also installed.

P1050357.jpg

Moving in the right direction.:)

Waiting on some more turnouts and spring wire for the Tortoise switch machines.

Nice work Greg
I'm just starting to install my tortoises (about 80 to do)
I'm also waiting for wire, hardware, push buttons and LED's, all arriving this week

Nice work Greg
I'm just starting to install my tortoises (about 80 to do)
I'm also waiting for wire, hardware, push buttons and LED's, all arriving this week

80 Tortoise switch machines?! :eek: Wow you must have killer layout going on. I may end up with 25 or so. Tell me about your push buttons. Are they for your switch machines? I would like to be able to control mine from the DCC controller as well as from buttons on the layout fascia.

80 Tortoise switch machines?! :eek: Wow you must have killer layout going on. I may end up with 25 or so. Tell me about your push buttons. Are they for your switch machines? I would like to be able to control mine from the DCC controller as well as from buttons on the layout fascia.

The layout is about 40' x 20'. Right now I'm working on my staging area. It has 18 tortoises.
Yes they are. The reason I'm using push buttons is to be able to control them from the fascia, from the throttle and from a computer one day. With a toggle switch, you can't, if you were to activate the switch from a computer, the toggle would not position itself in the right position, same with the throttle.

I use the NCE system, they have a board that can handle up to 16 push buttons and a board that handles 8 tortoises.

Time for an update:
All of the main lines are installed with 20 turnouts and their Tortoise switch machines. I have been testing and working out the bugs with an old DC power supply. Everything is running smooth now. It doesn't look like much, but it is a big milestone.

Next months projects will be installing a Z-21 DCC control system and to retro fit a couple of DCC decoders on two DC locos. Then in April I will add the control system to the switch machines. I am going with the the RR-cirkits Motormen connected to the Loco Buffer USB. I would love to speed up the time table. But the boss has put me on a budget. :( Only so many train dollars per month can be spent.

Here are some pic of the main lines:
P1050529.jpg

P1050530.jpg

P1050532.jpg

P1050533.jpg

Brian,

The sub-roadbed is plywood and cork. That is not just the elevated lines, but the whole layout. I believe they call it the cookie cutter method. I did not want to cover the benchwork with a sheet of plywood, as I wanted to keep it open for ease of access under the layout.

Thanks for the complement.

Back