My first modelling attempt

Selector

Hello. PRR fans may recognize this scene as one of a J1 photographed on Horsehoe Curve many years ago. At least, I hope you see the resemblance.

Thanks for stopping by.

never seen it before but I like the looks of it. keep up the good work.

-dekruif

Okay, here is the one that inspired me. I have found it on the PRR Historical Society's website, on Fallen Flags, and others, so I hope I won't be shot for displaying it here for comparison purposes.

SelectorNow I can see it!...It is the same!! even the trees!( I am addict to trees ha ha!) Please post each time a picture of the real scene you modelled together with the picture of that part on your layout. It is easier for us to "compare";) I am from the other side of the pond(s) Just great!!

Jos

As a big time PRR fan I can appriciate that photo....nice work!!...And as grove den said please post side by side shots as that was neat to see where you got your inspiration for the shot...That might be a great subject for an upcoming photo contest too!!...real/model shots....We have the Horseshoe Curve on our club layout. PRR from Mt. Union to the Gallitzen tunnels. Again Very Nice work!!

I hope you see the resemblance.

Like a un-educated redkneck, I like to look at the pictures!
At first I thought the posted pics were of different camera settings.
Not until I went back and read the post did I realize one was a model and the other a prototype.
I would say you have been successful in your attempt to achieve realism.

I posted this before--maybe it was over there--but it disappeared. You're doing great work at break-neck speed. By the time I get my benchwork done, you'll be into your third layout.

I take 3 weeks to redo my station platform and in that time you scenic a city block.

The offer I made, and it's still good, is that I live about 45 minutes from Horseshoe Curve. If you want some reference photos of the curve, the surrounding mainline, etc. let me know.

My son and I take road trips to the main and camp out with his portable DVD player and watch one of his movies and wait for trains. Once we went to Horseshoe, his first time, to watch the trains go by. After about 45 minutes, a utility truck on rails comes by and honks his horn and waves. He says just loud enough that the crowd around can hear, " A truck? I want my money back."

That made the trip for most of us.

Very nice work Selector. I too am a fan of the side by side shots of proto/model work. You captured the scene very well. I will be in line for the next posting.

Johnny

As a big time PRR fan I can appriciate that photo....nice work!!...And as grove den said please post side by side shots as that was neat to see where you got your inspiration for the shot...That might be a great subject for an upcoming photo contest too!!...real/model shots....We have the Horseshoe Curve on our club layout. PRR from Mt. Union to the Gallitzen tunnels. Again Very Nice work!!

First, I am overwhelmed with everyone's kindness; you all have made my day....whew! I think I may have gotten 4 hours sleep last night, I was so worried. Again, thanks for all your kind words. Very encouraging.

As to this specific post, Trucula, would you mind phonetically pronouncing Gallitzen for me? I have been curious about this.... Altoona is straightforward....or is it?

-Crandell

Selector;

*Whistles and Claps* Wow!:eek: That is an almost perfect recreation of the scene, you have a great eye.

If this is your First work I cant wait to see the rest! Amazing job sir, amazing.

Keep it up we want to see more! :)

Peace.

Coyote

First, I am overwhelmed with everyone's kindness; you all have made my day....whew! I think I may have gotten 4 hours sleep last night, I was so worried. Again, thanks for all your kind words. Very encouraging.

As to this specific post, Trucula, would you mind phonetically pronouncing Gallitzen for me? I have been curious about this.... Altoona is straightforward....or is it?

-Crandell

Ok, I will attempt it! ( hooked on phonics didn't work for me! :) ) Gallitzin = Gawl-lit-zin(gawl rhymes with awl) (although people here in Pa. have different accents even when they come from different corners of the state) and Altoona= AL- tuna. Hope this helps!
And Spacemouse, we could use your assistance on our layout at the curve...we have the curve part complete but need a couple shots of the interior of the curve, like the shape of reservoir and how the road and stream underpass are laid out. If you have any shots that might help us we'd sure appreciate it!....Thanks!

Ok, I will attempt it! ( hooked on phonics didn't work for me! :) ) Gallitzin = Gawl-lit-zin(gawl rhymes with awl) (although people here in Pa. have different accents even when they come from different corners of the state) and Altoona= AL- tuna. Hope this helps!
And Spacemouse, we could use your assistance on our layout at the curve...we have the curve part complete but need a couple shots of the interior of the curve, like the shape of reservoir and how the road and stream underpass are laid out. If you have any shots that might help us we'd sure appreciate it!....Thanks!

Been there a few times but never with a camera. I'm pretty sure it is closed for the season. When I get up there, I'll take the whole panorama. But you'll have to invite me up for a run on the layout.

Chip, as I replied to your kind offer elsewhere, I would be thrilled to have a number of semi-panoramic shots of the Curve, but I would be most grateful for a photo that places this bluff in context. I realize it doesn't look the same today, what with modifications and vegetation changes, but it would be nice to see where it is along the curve and what is on either side of it.

-Crandell

Been there a few times but never with a camera. I'm pretty sure it is closed for the season. When I get up there, I'll take the whole panorama. But you'll have to invite me up for a run on the layout.

DEAL!!!
We're still in the building stage but we can run (it's just analog now for testing purposes till the DCC is completed) But your more than welcome to visit us! It's about 45min from Altoona.

Back