Painting window frames on a kit?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hey all,

I have been assembling a couple of the pre-fab and kit structures I bought and am starting to paint them. Doing the "main" paint work is a piece of cake; however, trying to paint the window and door frames without getting that color on the "brick work" is becoming a pain in the you know what. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the paint work crisper?

Need to add that I am "hand painting" these kits - not using an air brush in other words.

Hey all,

I have been assembling a couple of the pre-fab and kit structures I bought and am starting to paint them. Doing the "main" paint work is a piece of cake; however, trying to paint the window and door frames without getting that color on the "brick work" is becoming a pain in the you know what. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the paint work crisper?

Need to add that I am "hand painting" these kits - not using an air brush in other words.

'Mask' it with a ruler or putty/drywall knife, some kind of edge.

I always try to paint the frames before attaching them to the structure...if they are already on the structure I just get really patient,use a very small brush and accept there will be a need to do touch-up work. And hope some of the weathering will help cover up some of the touch-up work.

New Guy,

It'll have to be a darn small edge :)

Genetk44,

Have started doing one with "bay windows" and what a pain it is :D Am using a very fine brush and am still getting paint where I don't it to go so yep, touching up is going to happen.

Didn't consider the weathering aspect to cover "little boo boo's" ... doing that doesn't make it quite as onerous and painstaking a task. Oh yeah, the window and door frames are apart of the wall - not separately applied unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...frames that are already applied are always a pain...especially if the "glass" is already attached also:mad:

Luckily, the glass isn't installed with the Woodlands and DPM kits - so I guess I should be thankful for that :) Once I get the front, kinda finished, I'll put up a pic or two for honest, skip the patronizing type stuff criticism.

I know I can say this without any hesitation what so ever - I am earning a great deal of respect for the guys who do the Built Up stuff and am beginning to appreciate the value in them :)

I have had good results using utility knife blades as a masking edge. Hold it with one finger at an angle and paint that edge. Keep an old towel dampened with paint appropriate solvent to wipe it clean after each edge. Works really well if you don't just glob the paint on and take your time.

I had a lot of buildings I had to paint the windows on Tony. It's not easy in any shape or form. All I can suggest is to get a pair of magnifiers, a very small brush, and work on your vocabulary of four letter works. I had just about the same buildings as you have. One pre-built, but numerous pre fabs and DPM kits. It took weeks, and quite a few beers.

Here are some old pictures.
IMAG0040.jpgIMAG0054.jpg Layout Expansion 008.jpg

All I can say is to suck it up and get 'er done.

Next time you visit your dentist see if you can score some of these: http://www.microbrush.com/hobby/products/microbrush/index.asp.
I got a case from a dental supply company not far from here.

Those micro-brushes are sold in every hobby shop I have ever visited...I think Micro-Mark sells them and I bet you could order them from MB Kliens also. I pick up a couple of packs every time I head into one of our 2 local
hobby shops.

Thanks guys, especially for the link to these "Microbrush's", they look to be the answer or at least a good part of it.

Montanan, all I have done on one building is the brick color (quick and easy) and started on the 8 individual windows in the front of the building. That has taken an entire day and with only two of the inset windows actually completed to a degree that I am happy with. This one building has a total of 27 separate windows in it! More accurately, 24 windows and 3 glass doors. Based on only two windows being completed per day, I have a darn long road ahead of me :D

It sure was a pain in the a$$ Tony. What you see in the photo is only part of what I had to paint. I used different colors for the windows and then a concrete color for the sills under the windows and above the doors. U just set up a work area on the dining room table and worked a little at a time on the buildings. I did a total of 14 buildings, front, side and back. Lost count of how many doors and windows I did. I also had the building flats at the rear of the layout to do also, and a few other buildings. The wife sure was happy when all of the building were done, but I think it was well worth all of the work. Don't think I want to do that again for quite a while.

Chet,

Slow and steady is the key in my case, instead of trying to get things done too quickly. I'm actually enjoying the fine detail work and, surprisingly enough, the front of the Bakery is coming up pretty well - better than I thought it might going on my very first attempt some time ago. Bear in mind, this is only the first I have really concentrated on doing "properly", whether I am still enjoying it come the last few I don't know.

Two things that made me a little apprehensive about this was my looking at the picture on the box and trying to get my stuff as good as that and the built ups I have. The other thing is getting the colors right, both for the period and together. Stopped comparing my efforts to the "pro's" although still reference them for a painting guide. The colors on the other hand, are pretty standard though (I think). Pretty much browns, reds and creams of varying shades.

Any way, here is where I am at at the moment, obviously it is FAR from finished but does give an idea of how good (or bad as it may be) I am doing. Any thoughts and or suggestions for improvement will be appreciated :)

Img_0851_zps3fqydwgu.jpg

Img_0855_zpsvhkgpxtv.jpg

Img_0852_zpspbx91c50.jpg

Img_0854_zpskxmjjp2m.jpg

Img_0853_zps1quucgma.jpg

Looks perfectly fine to me Tony. What you see pictures on the box was done by pros. Wouldn't worry about it a bit. Is that 5 or 6 left to go? I think I was cross eyed by the time I finished mine.

Chet,

Thanks for the "confidence boost" appreciate it :D

I have another 5 to do BUT can only use 3 of them on the layout. The one above has to go on the layout due to space but need to choose 3 of the remaining 5 for the layout. Basically, I will use the 3 that turn out the best and probably should have started with one of them.

The buildings mentioned will complete the Town Area but still need 2 or 3 houses for the Residential Area along the middle. If I get those in a kit form then you guessed it, another 2 or 3 to do after the Town. I also have to think of something to do with the new front section of the layout so will also have more buildings (possibly) for there as well.

What I DO know is, I don't have any where near as many as you had to do ... thank god :D

OK, little lost on what you started with? Solid red, grey, or ?
Anyhoo, if you are doing the "cream" .. it looks very nice to me.
I have never done a plastic kit. All my layouts had scratch built depots, houses, and structures.
Nowhere as elaborate as Chet's or G arry's.
Slow and easy, Tony, slow and easy .. it's not a speed contest.

Sherrel,

Thank you and the kit is molded in the solid grey, the color of the side and back wall windows and door, every other color (including the grey along the top edge of the front of the building and Bay Window Roof) is what I have painted.

Believe me, if I had Chet and Garry's talent I too would be building all of my buildings from scratch too; however, unless I can get them (scratch built buildings) to look as good as the kits then I would just be frustrating the hell out of myself. I don't mind building small structures from scratch or those that don't need to look spot on, but that is it for the moment. Maybe I could do better work if I used styrene instead of wood though - I don't know, either way, I doubt I could build anything that looked 1/2 as good as what those two guys (and others) build.

Those micro-brushes are sold in every hobby shop I have ever visited...I think Micro-Mark sells them and I bet you could order them from MB Kliens also. I pick up a couple of packs every time I head into one of our 2 local
hobby shops.

You can find them in hobby shops all right but they're very pricey compared to buying by the case.
I suppose everything is tho. Free from a dentist is even better! ;)

Tony that's a great looking building!
Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Back