3D printed people

OldGuyHO

I may be in the minority here, but if you look a most HO scale "people" they always look bulkier than real folk. This really sticks out to me when there is an article showing someone modeling a real person and shows the modeled person next to a picture of the real guy.

Have any of you tried to do 3D printed people, of yourselves, or friends? I would use the more accurate folk in the foreground and the normal figures in background.

Just wondering.

Never. People are too cheap. You can get painted 1/100 scale Chinese made people for inside passenger cars off of e-bay, and here in the Midwest there is a plastics dealer (his name escapes me at the moment) that sells them by the 100 count bag for 35 bucks painted. I'd prefer to use the 3D printer for more unusual stuff.

I agree that injection molded people are rather bulky looking. You'd want to use the FUD or FXD material to get the most detail, but it's expensive. You'd also need a sprue to connect them because you don't want lots of tiny items getting mixed up with other peoples' items. That adds to the cost.
One problem is that printers have minimum size requirements. So you'll need to experiment to see how big things like noses and fingers need to be to get printed.

Steve S

So is the average American now-a-days, so... it kind of works if you model modern times.

Sad when MY feeble self looks around and knows I can do a mile faster than 99% of the people I see everyday!

May take me 15 min but that's better than 'tubby' over there! (no offence to tubby, just sayin.)

Try the Preiser people. They are thinner than the "American" (woodland scenics, model power) ones.

Maybe they are not as fat in Germany.

May take me 15 min but that's better than 'tubby' over there! (no offence to tubby, just sayin.)
Good for you new guy, it takes me 18 minutes...I do it every day regardless of the weather. My neighbors give me hell when they see me in sleet or snow though.
Willie

Good for you new guy, it takes me 18 minutes...I do it every day regardless of the weather. My neighbors give me hell when they see me in sleet or snow though.
Willie

That is good time for a mile, you're 'stepping it out'! LOL!

If it ain't rainin, we ain't TRAININ!

You must be a former fellow INFANTRYMAN or, you have the right attitude and missed your calling!

I mountain biked for years like a Madman but the hips and the knees will not cooperate with the program so walky, walk, walk ,walk for my fitness, and YES!

The worse the weather the better I like it!

Less chance of "unwanted company" on the roads and trails!

Last January at about 3am it was not quite blizzard conditions, great night for walkin, and a Policeman stopped me to check my I.D.!

"What are you doing?" "Walking." "What's in the bottle?" "Poweraid." (The half-pint was in the inside pocket!) "You armed?" "Always."

I showed him my I.D. and my CCW, I always go into 'bootcamp' speak so they know I'm a veteran, we were less than a mile from my house and when I showed him my AIBORNE card and explained my fitness habbits to him he was way-cool about it and now we exchange waves at the odd hours when I see him on patrol and he knows he can count me as an ally and not some 'creeper'!

Back