My Christmas Vacation Dec 15-Jan1

Tue 12/19

Yes Josh, that is a very good website about roads. Will have to try that.

By the way, I used joint compound and made "forms" using insulating foam tape. I added a little bit of water to thin the compound down a little more so it was just a little bit stiffer than cool whip [the only thing i could think of]. This made it spread really nice and then I used a damp sponge paintbrush to smooth it out.

Early today I went out to see how it looked. It was not completely hard yet, which turned out to be good because i was able to smooth it out even more with a wet sponge paint brush. Tomorrow it should be completely hard and ready for paint.

I think cracks and potholes will be easy to add in my joint compound road with a sharp object. We'll see. So far so good.

I also paved my road a little bit farther, but I didn't have much time for modeling activities today. I need to get some more scale lumber to fill in where the second turnout is before I continue farther.

There is plenty of other work I can do, including the large addition to Industrial Supply (shown in prev pics).

Stay tuned. Thank you for your interest and replies!:)

Thursday Dec 21st

Well, I'm pleased with the way my new street turned out. I put some gray paint on it. It looks a little light but I plan to weather it after striping so no worries.

Also worked on the Ind Supply expansion. I plan to paint it tomorrow and add a roof.

Maybe I will get to some more ballast and dirt work. I have decided to make the truck loading area at Hunter Bottling gravel.

Looking forward to Santa's arrival. Only 3 more days!:cool:

Hey Brent, if your going to have trailer parking @ hunter bottling, you might want to add some concrete pads for the dolly legs of trailers to sit on. Heavy trailers tend to sink, maybe just run a strip across the front of the docks? Just a thought.

Great looking roads Brent,
Scott good idea, we use big steel plates to stop the legs sinking into the tar at work

Hey Brent, if your going to have trailer parking @ hunter bottling, you might want to add some concrete pads for the dolly legs of trailers to sit on. Heavy trailers tend to sink, maybe just run a strip across the front of the docks? Just a thought.

Hey, thats a good idea! Thanks alot. Now thats the kind of interaction I am looking for in this thread.:D

Santa Comes Early

Santa saw my posts and though he had better lend a hand, so he brought me a new digital camera! Cool:cool:

Here are a couple of my first pics with the new camera!

More Pics with new camera

Here are some more pics shot today with the new camera.

I was so excited I finished my street painting, and cleaned up all of my mess so I could do a photoshoot.

Pic #1- Caught the "Vomit Bonnet" at Allen Center
Pic #2- BN 6226 Idles through East allen with a train of new machinery
Pic #3- Local 3825 Firefighters take a "safety nap" after lunch as thier backup engine sits out on the apron.
Pic #4- The new driver of the Corona truck seems to be lost looking for the entrance to hunter bottling.

Last edited by a moderator:
#5- Scott Commodities at the Port of Allen handles Petroleum Coke for export
#6- Jacobson Mining will be using the new flood loader in the future
#7- BN SD9 #6234 gives his grandson BNSF GP60M #100 some advice before departing.
#8- These kids don't realize the danger of playing around the tracks

Pic #1- Caught the "Vomit Bonnet" at Allen Center
Such a beautiful engine, had it on my Christmas wish list, but I think I got a new Kato SD40-2.

Anyways, awesome pictures, looks like you're getting somewhere!

Hi

Only missed a couple of days and heck there are 4 pages to the thread already !!!

Looking good. Id vote for the second spur if its not already decided.
Primer grey works okay on a pavement, then paint with black and wipe clean, it wont come clean but looks about the right colour.

Great shots with the new camera !!

John
RJR Branch Line

I like the coal loading dock and what's that i spy in the background,,,an OAKWAY unit NICE, very NICE

:D Photos #2 & #6 I likes:D
Nice job!
What kind of camera?
Also can you do a side shot of your heavy machinery equipment loads? I am curious to see the detail work on how they a setting on your flats. Are you using HO scale chains or black thread?

Back