My Christmas Vacation Dec 15-Jan1

speent

Over the next 2-3 weeks, I plan to engage in alot of model railroad fun. I am going to document my activities in this thread, and I hope you all enjoy it. I encourage you to join in.

I will be trying to make as much progress as possible on the BN Allen Sub during my days off and will show it off.

I will be at train fest at the Washington State History Museum in Tacoma, WA on Thursday December 28th with my good buddy Robert Scott (FoamersNW). While there, we plan to move the clock up to the BN days by taking some rolling stock and running it for public display. Come and see/meet us there between 10AM and 8PM! Or go to one of the other times all that week between 10AM and 5PM. There will be several guest model railroads there to see as well as live steamers and other cool stuff.

I will also show off what model rr stuff I get from Santa. I am confident that Santa attended the train shows this year and I have been a good boy! ;)

Hopefully I will get ahold of a better camera for this thread. Meanwhile, I will kick it off with a few pics from yeterday's work.

The first pic is some ballast work I did using home made ballast. The second pic is results of pre-ballast track weathering. The third pic is some bushes and stuff put in at Allen Center.

December 16- Kitbash structure

Heres a little kitbash project I got started yesterday to make another bulding flat at East Allen. I'm trying to fill in the gaps a little bit at the backdrop. I will show the finished product when I get it done. Sorry about the crappy pics- I took them with my phone. Hopefully Santa will bring me a new camera also! ;)

Man thats a NICE lengthy vacation! Ive stll got one more week of work before I get my vacation. Look forward to pictures!! :)

Hmmm! cheap ballast eh! think I'd better go to the train room and see if any of mine is missing :D

Well Brent, I can't be there for the show, but I can certainly look forward to your photos of it and following your progress.

Monday December 18th

Thank you all for your interest and replies. Remember- feel free to "jump in" with your Christmas Vacation model rr activities.

Nothing was done in the train room yesterday as I was spending a little quality time with the boys. We managed to see a southbound double stack at Centralia Union though.

Today was a productive day of model rr. Once again, sorry for the poor quality pics taken with my phone.

The first pic is my little kit bash project after the paint dried and before final assembly. The second pic is the back side. I decided to put black tape behind the "glass" since this little structure will be against the backdrop. And the third pic is the finished project before weathering.

I have no idea what this building's purpose is besides filling in space on the backdrop.

Lets get interactive with this thread. Give me some ideas on what this building is doing. Is it active or abandoned? Should it be an online customer of the BN Allen Sub?

Some more interactive-ness :confused:

If my little structure is to be an online customer, should I place it at the existing spur (Hunter Bottling Corn Syrup Spur) as shown in the first pic? This would necessitate building side walls and a roof as it bould be out about 6" from the backdrop.

Or- should I add another secondary spur as shown in the second pic. [Note the photocopy of a #4 RH turnout, a technique that came in handy when figuring out how to lay out the yard ladder.:cool: ]

The third pic shows what things look when occupied by rolling stock.

Tell me what you think.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
More structures needed

First pic- Here's a trackside view looking RR East. We need more structures!:eek:

Second and Third Pics- Nothing like opening a brand new Spectrum kit only to use it for parts:cool:

Fourth Pic- A brand new hobby blade will make kitbashing go alot smoother.

Brent! I live only three miles away, but it seems a thousand for what you have done in the last week!

I may have to strafe over that way tomorrow to take-a-look-see.

I thinks a secondary spur is the way to go - East Allen is already a challenge, but I think it adds more variety.

Also for those that make it up to the Museum on Thursday, I think the museum is free after 5pm!!!! MMMM Free trains!

Very cool progress!! How'd the paving go? Looks like it turned out okay.
Not paving the loading dock area? Thanks for the pics!

Very cool progress!! How'd the paving go? Looks like it turned out okay.
Not paving the loading dock area? Thanks for the pics!

I just didn't make it that far yet. The street is going go right up against the east end of the dock at Dereck's Tobacco, which will make the track run through the street a little way. I haven't decided if the Hunter bottling truck loading docks will have pavement up to them or gravel.

Just went out to take a look at the pavement. Its looking pretty good, still a little soft. There's a little shrinkage and a couple small cracks forming. Today I will take a moist sponge and smooth it out some more. Maybe tomorrow it will be ready for paint.

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A GOOD PAINT COLOR FOR MY PAVEMENT?

Last edited by a moderator:
:D I like the 2 spurs....also I like those pipe loads you have. Did you build those?

The pipe loads came with some of the bulkhead flats I bought. I glued them together and set them up to be placed on any of our bulkheads that we send to Industrial supply. I would like to model some different sized pipes also.

Back