The Greenbrier Logging and Lumber Co.

I finally got the track in place. I had to do something i haven't done before. I had to cut the Kato track to fit the area where the bridge is. I had to redo the bridge as it is shorter than before. Only way to make it fit. Thats the drawback to using sectional track. Kato shows a flex track on the scarm program but is not available here in the states. They make a stretch type of track but i had forgot about that stuff until someone reminded me about it. Too late. I had already done the cutting. A couple of shots below. I am working up the list of stuff i need in track and turnouts for the hobby shops. I like Mike and Robin at Fifer hobby so that is just me. Should be a early Birthday git for me from wifey.

I was running trains the other night. The 4-4-0 died and after several times to get it to run I gave up and took it off the track. Its shot. This model is a bachmann and i had converted to dcc. They don't make them anymore And i am just tired of trying to fix it. I can't remember how many times i have had to work on it to get a few more rounds of the track. It loves to short out the dcc on #6 switches. And that stops the whole layout. I am going to make a static model out of it. put it up with the other stuff i have kept over the years. I took out the dcc chip and as far as i can tell its ok. Just the motor quit on the engine.
In its place i am going to build a kit engine. Its from randgust. A 18 ton climax. a oldie for sure. It will run on a Kato chassis and i will make it dcc too. Will be ordering it next week when my check comes in. I still have two Shays coming in next year....if they don't back-up there launch date.... again. :mad:
Here is shots of the kit, Dan View attachment 51280View attachment 51279View attachment 51278

Well, I am going to build a new engine. Randgust has a 18 ton model of a Climax, that runs on a Kato chassis. Have the Kato coming but will be October before i can get the kit. Gives me plenty of time to Modify the chassis to fit the kit. Fun for sure. Also will be even more difficult to do because i am converting it to dcc.But for less than a 100.00 i have a new good engine.

I ordered trees!! They are on there way to me. I love Mike Fifer and he has always been good to me. Good folk! Should have them in a few days. Gonna be fun when they get here. Deb and i can make lots of trees!! I think it will make the layout look so much better. Looking forward to them on the layout, Dan:)

I ordered trees!! They are on there way to me. I love Mike Fifer and he has always been good to me. Good folk! Should have them in a few days. Gonna be fun when they get here. Deb and i can make lots of trees!! I think it will make the layout look so much better. Looking forward to them on the layout, Dan:)

Great work and I can't wait to see what the trees do to the layout. Really looking forward to it! keep after it

I'll be waiting to see photos. When trees start going in, the difference in a layout is like day and night.

It looks a lot better if the logging camp has trees to cut down. I only have 8 small pines on it right now with stumps all over the place. Its a big difference when you have a forest. Stay tuned and I will have shots of it. Dan

The 'look' is consistent throughout your layout, great 'feel' to it! What you have going is WELL DONE! I'm just a 'newb' but I know good work when I see it!

Thanks fellow!! I have worked hard to get it that way. More coming in teh next couple of months. Dan

I have trees!! I made the first batch today. 36 Deciduous trees, 3/4" to 3" sized. Tomorrow i can plant them on the layout if they are dry. I am using Hob-e-tac. Its slow drying. Some is still white yet. Have a couple of shots. These are not the best looking trees i have seen, I hope the 2 sized Conifer trees, Thats over 60 trees there, Are better looking. I am trying to make the trees better but don't know yet. Have to wait till they dry some more.Some of the branches are coming up bare. Have hit them with more foam. Hope they stick like they are supposed too! I just hope i have enough room for all those trees. Tomorrow i am ordering all the track and turnouts for the layout. That should be fun too! Break out that record ...i've been working on teh railroad...all teh live long day.........:)View attachment 51510View attachment 51509View attachment 51508

Looks like you're on a mission. Pretty soon you'll have a forest. Waiting to see photos after the trees are put in.

Excellent, A big improvement. appl.gif

Thanks fellow, Where i found bare limbs i hit with tac again. If the tac ever dries i can fill the trees back up and maybe make them look better than they are right now. I have the batch of Conifers ready if the tac ever drys. I have been waiting for about 3 hours and still showing white. They are supposed to be clear when dry. I can add the foam to them then. All and all i am not overly happy. Have to wait and see if they will look better. Dan

Here are some conifers I'm using in HO scale, but I see no reason you can't use them in N scale. Got them on Amazon.

IMAG0234.jpg

They range in size fron an inch to about 4 inches tall.

Yep, I will have the same and they don't look to bad. I got about 1/3rd done. I had to stop for a bit as some are still showing white. From what i see the conifers look really good.

Back