Im beat I moved inside

Okay the rain has got to me, I cant get any trains run on my outdoor On30 layout.

So I've set up a layout on the conservatory window ledge. I have told the DPA that it is just a test track (the test being how long I get away with it!!!)

I plan to build a full length plasticard relief factory for it which can then be used on the garden railway in the spring. In the mean time lots of time to run trains in the dry, and I now have an indoor photo studio :)

That's GREAT John, Now maybe you can have a legal entry for a photocontest?Sorry my friend, I just couldn't resist:D . Hope you don't get booted back outside.

Johnny

If your weather is anything like what's happening now in my region [sub-freezing temps, high winds] I can fully understand your decision!:eek: :D

Hope they let you stay...

layout moving along

I.ve been posting pics in the weekend photo fun but I've got some mid week photofun to post !!!

Ive been working on the left hand end the most with backscenes etc, but I decided I needed a bit more foreground activity. The layout was an inch narrower than the window sill so I decided to tag a bit on the front :D

1981459c31ec1859a.jpg

1981459c321ae39ca.jpg

1981459c32398ab61.jpg

1981459c330f14975.jpg

1981459c339a19ce3.jpg

Ive been experimanting with a desk lamp to illuminate the layout when Im taking pictures but not quite got it right yet, the back wall needs another coat of Matt laquer to take the shine out aswell. I plan on making the next 2 back drop sections to be buildings that come all the way down to track level, then step back up to retaining wall height to work into the bridge on the right end.

John

right hand end

Realised I mentioned the right hand end of my massive 7' :) layout but there is no picture of it in this thread

mirror%20(1).JPG

the bridge has a mirror under it so if you get in the right position the layout is 14' long !!!

John

Looking better everyday John. I really like the tool/work car scene near the tunnel. I know what your going through with having to find a good indoor light source. Right now, all I'm using is a tree lamp(post with 3 seperate lights at different hieghts) with 100 watt bulbs and no camera flash. But it still requires some tweaking with HP image zone.

Johnny

light source

Yep, Im missing that mega wattage bulb up in the sky that normally comes with my garden layout. I found all my shots taken with the camera on close up came out blurred, then I realised the camera was compensating for low light by extending the exposure.
The single halogen bulb in a lamp is bright enough, if not too bright, its all down to postition now I think. I do like the single bulb as it casts a decent single shadow. I think one of my current problems is a couple of surfaces like the wall, have dried a bit glossy and need toning down to stop the reflection of light ?

John, I too had the problem with the length of exposure. Here is how I solved it; I use a program called Helicon focus that takes multiple pictures(from samr spot) and blends them together creating a great depth of field photo. I use as I have a cheap digital camera that has 3 distance settings. I just take my shots from a tripod, using all three settings then run them thru the Helicon Focus and wa-la. This way you can use 100 watt bulbs, get decent exposure, and then lighten them with whatever program you choose if need be. There was a thread on this forum about Helicon and it offered a free trial download. I think it's a sweet program for those of us who need to shoot indoors. I'm stepping out for the rest of the day but I will try and search for the thread or info for you and post it here. Hope this muddle helps.

And I actually think your photos are fine looking as far as brightness goes, the only 'gloss' I noticed was on the brick in your trash close-up. And you seem to have pretty good depth of field too.

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay the rain has got to me, I cant get any trains run on my outdoor On30 layout.

So I've set up a layout on the conservatory window ledge. I have told the DPA that it is just a test track (the test being how long I get away with it!!!)

I plan to build a full length plasticard relief factory for it which can then be used on the garden railway in the spring. In the mean time lots of time to run trains in the dry, and I now have an indoor photo studio :)
That's one of the drawbacks of having an outdoor RR where I live (in the Midwest) -- weather! A couple of years ago I made all these grandiose plans for a garden RR -- during the summer. Ha ha! I'm re-thinking that now -- I may call my outdoor RR the "SS&F" (Spring, Summer, and Fall -- and not all of the Spring and Fall, either) and just put up some temporary track on dark gray garden border stonework to keep the trains from being washed away by thunderstorms. Then "all" I have to do is find some place indoors that I can set up track with a 10' radius to run G gauge trains (I've got some big lovcomotives) the other six months of the year! ;-)

Ive been thick!!!

What happens during the day in a conservatory ?? The sun shines in !! so all that messing trying to get the right lighting. After some messing this afternoon Ive hit the jackpot (I think anyway)

Required elements, slightly cloudy day, 100 watt halogen lamp to cast shadows and a steady hand

Gives

one.JPG

Any thoughts ??? I need to give the steamer a bit of weathering me thinks!

John

weathering

Got round to weathering my 2-6-0 last night
198145a676d5a2a12.jpg

Ive also been playing with some of the effects on photoshop, cant get the smoke right though, ideas welcome !!
198145a676eb98740.jpg

Added sme more figures too

198145a40651b0237.jpg

John, what I do is use the airbrush tool set at about 25% opacity and 50% flow. Then using white or a black color (depending whether I want smoke or steam) use a flowing motion that overlaps itself until I get the look I want. The result looks like this:

BusyDayCooleys2b.png

MalletUpGrade03aw.png

what is DPA??

edit: great looking layout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back