American Freedom Train.......

enjineerbill,

Yes, CNW acquired 10 wide vision cabooses from (believe it or not) The ROCK, after The Rock folded in 1980. They were painted the same way yours is.

It is funny that you chose to put 11092 on it too. We had that bay window here in Kenosha for years. I have a couple of pics of it. I don't remember if I ever saw 11203 though. The number dosen't ring a bell.

You never needed to send a peace offering though, I wasn't after blood, LOL!!!!

Thanks Johnny for more beutiful pictures of your high quality work. I really enjoy your thread and I hope you think of something else when you finish the AFT.

Thanks Rex, Actually the wheels are already turning, the next project will be the Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus train of the 1950's. When they used the ex-army hospital cars for coaches. Lots of ex-military equipment on the train during that time, including half-track vehicles. Now if I can just stay focused on finishing this one.......

Johnny

enjineerbill,

Yes, CNW acquired 10 wide vision cabooses from (believe it or not) The ROCK, after The Rock folded in 1980. They were painted the same way yours is.

It is funny that you chose to put 11092 on it too. We had that bay window here in Kenosha for years. I have a couple of pics of it. I don't remember if I ever saw 11203 though. The number dosen't ring a bell.

You never needed to send a peace offering though, I wasn't after blood, LOL!!!!

I probably saw it once or twice. I used to live in Winthrop Harbor, IL. and spent a lot of time fanning the area.

Johnny

Johnny...thanks for a most interesting thread. Like many others here, I visited the real 1976 American Freedom Train, headed up by the Reading 4-8-4 when in my area. In addition, I also had the privilege of touring the original 1947 Freedom Train as a boy, something fewer and fewer folks can actually claim today.

The thread regarding your 1976 train model has raised a couple of questions with me concerning window display car #41. I've recently purchased a Lionel example and intend to rework it along the lines that you have. I am confused, however, regarding the United States' tour map in the center display window. You appear to have it mounted on some sort of divider or board but its size and the texture/composition represented is unclear from your photos. Likewise, may I ask where you obtained the miniaturized copy of the map, as I'd like to include it in my model as well.

NYW&B

Johnny...thanks for a most interesting thread. Like many others here, I visited the real 1976 American Freedom Train, headed up by the Reading 4-8-4 when in my area. In addition, I also had the privilege of touring the original 1947 Freedom Train as a boy, something fewer and fewer folks can actually claim today.

The thread regarding your 1976 train model has raised a couple of questions with me concerning window display car #41. I've recently purchased a Lionel example and intend to rework it along the lines that you have. I am confused, however, regarding the United States' tour map in the center display window. You appear to have it mounted on some sort of divider or board but its size and the texture/composition represented is unclear from your photos. Likewise, may I ask where you obtained the miniaturized copy of the map, as I'd like to include it in my model as well.

NYW&B

My pleasure for your interest in the thread. Ahh.. the Reading T1, not looking too good these days........What a story behind the restoration of that beauty for the Freedom Train. And yes, fewer are able to lay claim to knowing about the Alco pulled 1947 train, let alone have been as fortunate as yourself to have experienced it. Thanks for sharing.

Car No. 41 - This car could actually be no. 40 OR no. 41. The car numbers were switched in route due to a train order issue. But I chose it to be car no. 41 and either can be used.

If you are going to try and realistically model this car, you will need to enlarge the stock Lionel windows and scratchbuild new frames.

As for the Map, it was mounted on a mirrored surface on the prototype. Mine is mounted on a piece of styrene that I covered with mylar. It runs the length and height of the center compartment of the car. The map is amazing, it is produced from an actual photograph of the map and it (although too small to show) has the route clearly mapped on it. If you follow the accuen link on my signature, it will take you to where you can get them. They are sold with the 40 different window inserts that are for the display cars. Tell them you got the info for them from me. And be sure to check out the gallery section with other modelers' efforts....

Hope this helps, glad to be of assistance.

Johnny

Thursday May 31st-Update

After a long time trying to gather info on the undergear and wheelsets for these two wagons, they are finally finished. The American Freedom Train had three 85' flat cars that carried concession, ticket and support wagons along with a couple of vehicles. These wagons represent concession wagons and were equipped with specially designed undergear to keep the height at a minimum while loaded on the train. These wagons and vehicles were loaded/unloaded 'circus' style on ramps that were portable and when un-assembled were carried on a flatcar.

Front ends...

AFT_wagon_1.png

Side view...

AFT_wagon_2.png

And the rear with the AFT logo...

AFT_wagon_3.png

These were constructed using military wagons from Roco as a starting point. Some of their progress can be found in earlier pages of this thread.

More to come,

Johnny

Thanks
Steve B. , Josh and Eric
- I think it's time to start on the second showcase car and all the scratchbuilt stuff for it.

More to come,

Johnny

Paul,

I really enjoy knowing that you appreciate my work. Thank you for taking the time to follow my thread.

Johnny

It was quite a thread Johnny. It was nice to see the progress of your project and finally seeing the end of it looking so good. I missed out on that piece of history!

Scott

It was quite a thread Johnny. It was nice to see the progress of your project and finally seeing the end of it looking so good. I missed out on that piece of history!

Scott

Thanks Scott, But by NO means am I finished with this thread. Although I'm slow going, I'm putting the finishing touches on the display cars now. They have all had their window panels and shadow boxes installed and I'm just installing the wire grabs on them. I should have them ready for a 'roll-by' photo shoot this weekend.

And a friend gave me an American Freedom Train(waaaaaaaaaay cool!!) tailsign for the observation that will signal the end of the thread. Then we'll call it a Train......

Thanks for following the progress.

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
The Display Car ROLL-BY!!!!

Well, the first public display over the 1st half of July is complete and the train was met with an enthusiastic response.

Now that she's back home I took the pics many have asked for of the display car windows. These windows are done from reproductions of the actual windows from the protoype car windows!

Here is the Panel side of the train. These panel sat flush with the edges of the window frames. This would have been on the ' firemans ' side of the train and was the side that the public rode on the transporter belt to view the contents. Although hard to see, below the panels are the chronological numbers from 1776-1976. In this roll-by, the train is travelling from right to left. Enjoy!

Panel_101.png

Panel_102.png

Panel_103.png

Panel_104.png

Panel_105.png

Panel_106.png

Panel_107.png

Panel_108.png

Panel_109.png

And the engineers' side had what were called ' shadowboxes '. That is the displays were three-dimensional and were set back into the windows. Again, the numbers below the windows are chronological and this time the train is travelling from left to right.

Shadow_101.png

Shadow_102.png

Shadow_103.png

Shadow_104.png

Shadow_105.png

Shadow_106.png

Shadow_107.png

Shadow_108.png

Shadow_109.png

Even though the train has made it's first public display, it is still not complete. The updates will be posted as they are done in this thread. I sure hope you enjoy the American Freedom Train in HO scale.......

Johnny

Excellent work Johnny. And not just the train, those rock faces in the background look awesome too!

Congratulations on bringing a piece of history to life!

Johnny, you can certainly be proud of your work, be it displayed publicly or on the "Best of the Best" in Model Railroading.
I can't imagine what is left to do, but I'm sure it will be as spectacular.;) :)

Excellent work Johnny. And not just the train, those rock faces in the background look awesome too!

Congratulations on bringing a piece of history to life!

Thanks Fred.
The rock faces are a part of the quarry on the MadCow. Plans are to dismantle the layout(sell the scenicked sections) and build a Circus winterquarters diorama. It will be based on the Ringling car shops in Baraboo, Wisconsin and become a travelling display for my show trains.

Johnny

Back