Broadway Limited J9000 4-12-2 - Video

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Ok, here it is. The new Broadway Limited J9000 4-12-2 Union Pacific locomotive.
I've noticed the audio cuts in and out while the loco is running. I thought at first it was just running to fast for the distinctive chuff sound, but it was doing that at slow speed too.

[video=youtube;18TGI0tKOT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18TGI0tKOT8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Nice video, Ken!
As far as the audio cutting in and out, make sure the plug between the tender and the locomotive is firmly seated. Maybe a loose speaker wire?
I see you got one with the E-2 NINE cab as well. The standard cab has more of a bay window look to it.
I hope you enjoy your new toy! I know I will!

Yeah, I checked the plug. Also did the factory reset a couple times as I understand the shipment went through xray scanning somewhere along the way and may have messed up the CV settings.
I'll open it up later and check the speaker wire. If that's not it, I'll check with my local dealer to see what he might suggest.

Hooray, the construction equipment is back!

I really like the 3-cylinder exhaust. It sounds perfectly in sync, too. Does the model have a cam?

Very nice video Ken. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Sure hope you find out why the sound is cutting out. A bit disappointing I imagine. It's an impressive locomotive. Looks like a pretty good string of cars behind it.

A friend of mine, who lived in Pensacola Fl, had a brass one of these. Talk about a monster. Completely rigid framed, and it looked good on his 50' radius curves. The only sound in those days were from Modeltronics, and PFM. Neither of which he had. But with 150 cars behind it, sound didn't matter. The rumble was very realistic.

Of course, he was a UP modeler, and every engine class was on his layout, in brass. Loved going over to his place. Plus he never allowed any diesels on his layout. Steam only!

What your hearing is the 3rd cylinder,but you need to lower the volume.
I had the chance to hear one just this morning on our club layout and with the sound adjusted properly it was a very impressive looking and sounding locomotive Kudos to BLI for another fine model....

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Broadway Limited J9000 4-12-2 Union Pacific locomotive.
I've noticed the audio cuts in and out while the loco is running. I thought at first it was just running to fast for the distinctive chuff sound, but it was doing that at slow speed too.
Just spent a couple hours programming the sounds on a friends one of these locos. We discovered that trying to use JMRI was not working. Every time we would change the sound effect we wanted, it would change other things like messing with the headlight and turning on and off the smoke... We had to resort to the good old fashion method of setting CVs while programming on the main. However, I do not recall having issues with the sound cutting in and out.

Ken that is one very impressive locomotive!

I don't know much about sounds on these high tech locomotive, but I do remember in the 70s with some solid state hi-fi equipment you could have "clipping" (sound cutting out) if you over drive the output transistors. I liked to play it loud and still do!

If I were you I would contact the manufacturer, they maybe aware of the problem and already have a solution. In the mean time you could try lowering the volume.

As always, thanks for posting the videos, I really enjoy them!!!

Hooray, the construction equipment is back!

I really like the 3-cylinder exhaust. It sounds perfectly in sync, too. Does the model have a cam?

They have a chuff sensor. That sensor is a reed switch located near the flywheel.

Very nice Loco, looks fantastic on your sweeping curves.
As far as the sound cutting out my BLI Centipede does the same thing, (only one out of 10 BLI Locos) I have found that if I run it at speed step 25 or below (on my NCE powerCab) it's ok, I just put up with it as it doesn't run much, it sits in my rail Museum.
Good luck in the future, I'm sure you will be happy with her.
Gary
P.S. I have subbed to you on YouTube.

I tend to think the dropout is the DCC BEMF adjusting to load working the throttling effects. Just a thought. Depends if the whole sound system drops, or just the chuff. Not enough to stop me from getting the engine. But I wonder if there are any sound decoders out there ready for 4-12-2's....6 chuffs not a standard out there...hehe, I think most are timed for 4 chuffs, you can easily hear the 4 chuff staccato effect, but that wouldnt work on the 4-12-2. Nice vids, my layout is far from that size, tho I may plan in an around the room loop mostly for western road running semi-freelance. What cam are you using? Just thought about the sound dropout, with it loud you might be depleting the power to drive the speaker, dropping the volume may solve that. I'll try that on my Centipede. I get my 4-12-2 week from tuesday (finances-bill paying...otherwise I get it ASAP)

The camera is a Sony HDR AS10. It links to my Droid by WiFi so I can see what it is looking at and to control the start and stop of the camera. I built a cradle for it to ride on a flat car. In the picture of it on the flat car, it's upside down because the camera offers that feature to flip the picture so I can get a perspective a little closer to the ground. I have another video that I posted on the forum with the same camera on a passenger train where the cam is just peeking over the roof of the dome car ahead of it. Found it and posted the video after the two pictures.

IMG_6813_zpsmvgin71s.png

IMG_6812_zpsreqs9r8s.png

[video=youtube;HnUywHd-tN4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnUywHd-tN4&t=10[/video]

Beautiful model and gorgeous video. Hope you can get the sound issue ironed out, but man I'm envious.

I'm kinda curious how heavy that camera is. I know there's no way it would work on an N-scale flat car, but I'm kinda wondering if a person could build a cradle for it on top of a dedicated N-scale loco chassis, especially if it were a large one like an SD90 or if it would just be too top-heavy to work at all? I would love to be able to take some decent video like that, even if my layout has very little scenery done as of yet.

Never mind. After I typed that and started thinking about bridges (which would only be limiting on certain lines), I also realized that once I get any signals in place it won't go under those either (which would nix it completely). Guess I'll need to either find something much smaller or give up on the idea. And frankly, anything much smaller probably wouldn't have the quality I'd like to have.

Oh well, it was a nice idea for all of its lengthy minute-long lifespan :rolleyes:

Well that is where creativity in producing video comes in. At the points on your layout where the camera won't clear obstacles, you do a cutaway with video from another perspective.
The camera only weighs 1/2 lbs. The dimensions are 1 3/4" tall, 7/8" wide and 3 1/8" long.
As for a flatcar, consider a drop center flatcar or even a intermodal well car.

just looking for your MTH/BLI compare...I was demo'ed MTH's Little Joe....it sounded like a diesel...I don't need flipping pantagraphs. and they articulated the porch trucks...man the engine is BIG, it don't run in certain areas and the South Shore even had signs saying they couldnt go this far.

I've been wrestling with some other issues on the J9000. I used the JMRI decoder pro to set some of the functions. Shortly after that the locomotive seemed like it was binding then came to a stop and the cab light flashed on and off. This kept happening until I did a factory reset. It ran fine for several laps around the layout, i.e. 20 or so scale miles. I programmed the address, 9035 to it using the DT400D and the programming track, set CV29 to 16 and the whistle to option 1. It was still running ok last night after about 40 miles. I'll add some Nano lube to the axles today then run it some more.
The comparison between the MTH and the BLI J9000 is in planning right now. I may have something posted this weekend.

Back