New way to paint a kodachrome AC4400CW

Zephyr

Rocket Red
As a modeler of the modern-day Southern Pacific Santa Fe, I am always looking for ways to paint my locomotives easier. I had an idea to use BNSF's new paint scheme as the starting point for my painting, and decided to try it out on an Athearn RTR AC4400CW. The advantage here is that I can have all the details that comes with an Athearn RTR as well.

Before:
c44acacv0.jpg

After:
c44acbru4.jpg

I also repainted two other locos - the B40-8W was a BNSF warbonnet and the C44-9W was undecorated
all3fu2.jpg

My friend Matt used my AC4400CW in his New York Central Tropicana juice train consist while running at the train show this weekend
img6212yl4.jpg

img6219gx5.jpg

img6261vp1.jpg

img6272ro3.jpg

img6300em0.jpg

Thanks Steve, paul, and MLW. Josh, the main reason why I dropped the warbonnet is it was too hard to do and very time consuming. Microscale has a decal sheet out for these, but they really don't match modern locomotives. Plus, they are only red and do not cover for the black section. To standardize things, I dropped that and went with the pinstripes. Also, on modern locomotives, the warbonnet gets chopped up behind the cab with the battery box or AC converter and I thought this looked nicer.

As a modeler of the modern-day Southern Pacific Santa Fe, I am always looking for ways to paint my locomotives easier. I had an idea to use BNSF's new paint scheme as the starting point for my painting, and decided to try it out on an Athearn RTR AC4400CW. The advantage here is that I can have all the details that comes with an Athearn RTR as well.

Before:
c44acacv0.jpg

After:
c44acbru4.jpg

I also repainted two other locos - the B40-8W was a BNSF warbonnet and the C44-9W was undecorated
all3fu2.jpg

My friend Matt used my AC4400CW in his New York Central Tropicana juice train consist while running at the train show this weekend
img6212yl4.jpg

img6219gx5.jpg

img6261vp1.jpg

img6272ro3.jpg

img6300em0.jpg

When I get my Southern engines finished I am going to have a BNSF swoosh patch. I think that paint scheme is pretty cool.

-Smoke

very nice looking loco, but im like josh, i model modern day bnsf. so me personally i would have kept the wedge scheme. My layout used to be santa fe until the bn/sf merger took place.

that is really cool! I love the BNSF ans at so I was skeptical at the beginning of your post, but I must say, top notch! Looks great!

-Rich

Back