La Tienda General Store by Cigarbox Studios

Have you heard of Thomas Yorke? 30 years ago, he was producing great HO scale hydrocal-based kits, but now he's pretty much into O scale. Anyway, I found a new independent kit-maker by the name of Cigarbox Studios, and he has 3 hydrocal-based kits on the market that represent stone buildings from the turn of the century, with upstairs residences. I recently built La Tienda General Store, and was so impressed that I believe he may be the next Tom Yorke!

general_store3.jpg

I applied heavily diluted Tints-All colors directly to the unsealed stones. I did not attempt to color each stone individually. Instead, I worked small areas with one color, all the way around the building, and then followed with 5 more colors gradually filling in the untinted areas. Once all of the stones had been colored, I used Tints-All Lamp Black as a wash over the entire building. As you can see, it was absorbed inconsistently, which looks very realistic to me. Finally, I dry-brushed some of the stones with white acrylic paint.

Scott Mason of South River Modelworks recommends Formula 560 for window "glass", but I prefer Testors Clear Parts Cement & Window Maker, because it dries faster and it cures crystal clear. The Paper Creek Shingles were applied with Walthers Goo instead of white glue. I used a Jet Tip on the tube of Goo, to place a thin bead on the back of each shingle strip. I opted for a full-height chimney, no awnings (I didn't want to hide the great looking stonework, especially the arch above the front door), and no screen on the front door (I didn't want to hide the period wavy glass).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Roundhouse and welcome. That's a real neat model you've built. I tried a Google search and couldn't get anything on the kit or Cigarbox Studios, but if it's a new thing that's not surprising. If you have any more info. it would be appreciated.
Thanks for including your methods for finishing the model, it looks great and you've done an excellent job on it.
Cheers Willis.

Hi Roundhouse, Thanks for the link, some nice models there and well displayed, nice site. I trust the above displayed photo is your own or that you have the owners permission to display it here.

Cheers Willis

La Tienda General Store

I trust the above displayed photo is your own or that you have the owners permission to display it here.

:eek: Oh yes - this is my photo and I am the one who assembled and finished the kit. The creator of the Cigarbox Studio line of kits is Dave Darcey. I'm hoping he will show up and participate so members here can ask any questions they might have.

:eek: Oh yes - this is my photo and I am the one who assembled and finished the kit. The creator of the Cigarbox Studio line of kits is Dave Darcey. I'm hoping he will show up and participate so members here can ask any questions they might have.

Thanks for verifying that. We work very hard to respect copyrights, and so when the staff sees a photo from another website and they're not sure if it's used with permission, they always check into it.

By the way, how about posting that in the product reviews section with a few more shots? Would make a GREAT review!

I'd be happy to do that!

Great, thanks. I'm going to promote that section more once we get a few more reviews, so if you have anything else you'd like to post, that would be excellent.

The same goes for everyone else, I'm really in need of reviews to get the ball rolling.

Back